Hard Drive disappearing

Skimklaw

n00b
This problem happened a few times off and on over the last few months. In the past I would put my Windows 7 64bit ultimate boot disk in did repair and everything is fine, but I couldn't figure out the problem.

All 3 of my drives are SATA, a 640GB WD (My boot disk) a 1 TB Hitachi (my back up) and a DVD burner.

Now every day 2-3 times my computer will restart, it will POST, then when it shows drives right after post, it only shows my storage/(crude back up/draganddrop) hard drive and my DVD rom). Now when I put in my Windows 7 disk and try to repair I can do it 1-5 times and usually on one of the restarts my 640GB boot will show up again, my computer will start and no problem. I have never had a "restart"/crash happen while using the computer, typically I will wake up and notice it or like make dinner, so I wonder if it has something to do with going into energy saving mode. I used my computer all day today with no issues, and actually almost ordered an SSD, because if I have to reinstall the OS I am going to use this as an excuse to the significant other to get a nice new Harddrive.

Of course if I can fix the problem I will hold out for Black Friday for my SSD.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I figure I'll have to do a clean install at some point, just not sure if there might be a temporary fix.

Back