Hard Drive Dead?

camui

Weaksauce
While my WD Caviar Black (1TB) drive is powered up, my computer WILL NOT boot at all and gives me a system failure error. Currently, the drive is not powered up and my computer boots up normally. Is this a sign of HDD failure and if not, what can I do for my computer to recognize the drive in BIOS and boot normally?

Been messing with my computer for the past 1-1.5 hrs figuring out what could be the cause of the PC not booting. Haven't checked to see if the PCB is hot (I assume on the WD HDD right), but I do so probably tomorrow or Tuesday when I get my NZXT HUE RGB Controller in the mail.

Doesn't sound good to lose a HDD but hopefully WD will replace this drive because I believe it is under a 5 year warranty.

Why not check? I mean boot the system then plug the drive in and take a look at the SMART data. If you do not have AHCI enabled and windows does not let you do that use a linux livecd. You will not need AHCI enabled in your bios for linux to hot plug your hard drives.

I will give that a shot. Currently the PC is in IDE mode but when I tried to connect the WD HDD, I got a BSOD 101 and have gotten the BSOD 9C as well while the HDD was connected. I've read this needed more VCore, but I reset everything back to normal as soon as I was having problems initially.

Will also try the Linux live CD as well.

its the pbc on the board is shorting.

I'm not sure what happen had hdd in dlink 321 no problem. I then installed the HDD to my new case with hot swap. System would fail to power up with that drive plug in. So I took this ocz power supply, using the paper clip to power up ocz and have it plug into that hot swap bay where the hdd was. Smoke came out LOL. Took a look a chip on the pcb is on an angle. I though that harddrive as gone for good but next time I plug it back in it was working fine....

btw hdd was samsung hd204ui

just wondering Is your user Data on that wd 1tb?

I will take a look at the PCB and see what I can do. If nothing happens, I will contact WD for an RMA. Windows 7 is on one of the Intel SSD drives and my files (music, pictures, videos) is on the 1TB drive.

I will give that a shot. Currently the PC is in IDE mode but when I tried to connect the WD HDD, I got a BSOD 101 and have gotten the BSOD 9C as well while the HDD was connected. I've read this needed more VCore, but I reset everything back to normal as soon as I was having problems initially.

Will also try the Linux live CD as well.

If it is a PCB short you should try powering the drive and booting with the SATA cable disconnected. That is what I would do for the hot swap anyways..

Back