Hard Drive Copying

psx-dude

Limp Gawd
I got a new 120gb drive that I want to use in place of my old 40gb drive by copying everything from the 40 to the 120 and using that as my main drive. I've tried some methods of copying the data over, but both ran into some errors.

First run:
I formatted the new drive, selected all the files on the old drive and tried copying them over to the new one. Then I ran in to this error: Unable to copy ntuser.dat and it stopped.

Second try:
I downloaded WDC/Maxtor's disk tools (for new drives) and started the drive to drive copy. It worked but didn't copy the pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys. Problem: When i removed the old drive and installed the new one as a master to boot off it (as a test, no old drive to see if it would boot) it would hang up on the windows xp loading screen (after the black one with the progress bar) and not doing anything. I then tried installing the second drive and wala, it booted. However, when i remove it it doesn't work. so it seems to be dependent on the old drive being there.

anyone? a simple program that fits on a floppy that lets you copy one drive to another would be wonderful..

Back