• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

hard drive copying problem

omz

Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
805
hey all, I just bought the WD 2500KS at Fry's the other day
well i tried transferring all my data from my Hitachi Deskstar to this new WD via Norton Ghost but it kept on giving me errors...So i went and used the cd that came with the WD hard drive
i used the "utilities" option and copied the data from the deskstar partitions to the WD partitions
i booted into windows and it recognized it fine but that was when I had BOTH hard drives plugged in
when I switched to just the WD HDD plugged in, it went through the bios screen ok but got stuck at the windows xp screen where you must choose your user profile. I dont think that it froze because I can still move my mouse but no profile selections come up. When i plug in the old deskstar, it boots up fine and i can select the profile and get into desktop
anyone know what's wrong with it? did i copy the files incorrectly? also, does anyone know of a good partition to partition or hdd to hdd copy program?
thanks!
 
I tried doing it with norton ghost via norton system works 2006 but it was still a nogo...i backed up the MBR with the WD cd and it gave me a selection for the profile. I got past that part but then it just crapped on me at mt background
anyone have any other ideas?
 
did you test the hard drive? with the dlg diag or drive fitness test or anything? if its western digital try their write zeros to drive test then redo it.
 
Back
Top