Hard Drive Copy

powerman

Gawd
So my C:\ has been filled to the max for too long and I want to copy everything to a larger hard drive. The current size is 30 GB and I'm thinking the new one would be like 300 GB or so.

Was just wondering what you think the best way to copy it is? Was thinking of ghost, but I don't have the room to store an image. I just want to copy from drive to drive on the fly. Was also thinking of copy functions in DOS, but will the new hard drive size be an issue?

My main problem is that the current drive is filled to the brim so it will be tough to install new software in windows, but do-able if its not too big. Any suggestions?

Both Acronis or Ghost have a clone feature, so storing an image is not really needed, just clone on the fly, swap drives and get back to work in some minutes :D

Do you really want an imperfect OS image though, as it's been used for x number of months/years?

It sounds like you just need some more space, so what I would do is get a bigger internal (I assume this might be your plan) drive, connect it as a slave, and just copy your data and multimedia files over (not everything in C). Then, wipe the 30GB drive clean, perform a clean OS install, load drivers, run Windows Updates, install and configure your basic essential apps, THEN ghost an image.

Again, it seems like you just want some more space, but this thread seems to be running in the Ghost direction for whatever reason, so I thought I'd throw in my input in that regard.

Back