Hard Drive Connections Setup

NovaCloud

Gawd
I ordered 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001 for $330 total at amazon. I have a ASrock Gen3 Extreme3 Motherboard and also a OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) installed on the system. I know the motherboard only supports 2 SATAIII and 2 SATAII connections so my question is how should I setup my connections on my board? Data backup is not really a concern unless these hard drives are known to die but I haven't heard tooooo much bad luck with that. I was thinking of raid 0 with these on the SATAIII and maybe the SSD on the SATAII but I am not sure how much performance I would gain/loss on either configuration... I just wanted to get some opinions from my fellow [H] members to see how I should go about it. Thanks!

I don't bother with raid anymore...large drives are so cheap. I use a program called Cobain Backup..it's free and AMAZING http://www.cobiansoft.com/
I run a schedule 2x a week it copies all the stuff i never want to lose (Home movies/photos/itunes folder/important docs) from one drive to another. It maintains 2 copies on the backup and deletes the oldest of the 2 when it makes a new...

Do this to a 2TB external and if you have a house fire or what not just grab the drive and run and you don't lose anything...

I would keep the SSD on the sata 6Gb port, it can see some benefit there, spinners won't. The Seagate spinners won't really matter if they're on sata 3Gb or 6Gb, they're going to get the same performance either way.

Back