• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard drive clicks and system stops responding!

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
1,115
Help!

A few minutes ago, my computer's hard drive made a clicking sound (like a hard stop) and anything I click lagged forever. My mouse moved and all. I open the case and feel the hard drive still vibrating so I wait. Waiting doesn't work so I turn it off. Then I turn it on and it gets stuck at the IDE detecting part of POST. I unplug it for 10 seconds and it went back to normal. I check the SMART info with Everest and everything looks the same as before.

Any idea what happened?

Specs in sig, btw.

Thanks!
 
No idea what happened, but back up all your data ASAP. Sounds like you might be losing a drive bearing.
 
Thing is, I don't know which drive. And both drives are full enough to make backing up a hard task. :(
 
Hmm, get a drive test utility like tuffest and diag that quick. If it starts messing up worse, I know it sounds weird, but mount the bad drive upside down to try to retrieve data from it. I've had a lot of luck with dying drives by doing this.
 
PigCorpse said:
Help!

A few minutes ago, my computer's hard drive made a clicking sound (like a hard stop) and anything I click lagged forever. My mouse moved and all. I open the case and feel the hard drive still vibrating so I wait. Waiting doesn't work so I turn it off. Then I turn it on and it gets stuck at the IDE detecting part of POST. I unplug it for 10 seconds and it went back to normal. I check the SMART info with Everest and everything looks the same as before.

Any idea what happened?

Specs in sig, btw.

Thanks!

1 of your hdd's is pretty much dying.....exact same thing happened to me before....just backup whatever you have in whatever hdd is dying.....
 
I had that happen...turned out the power connector on my motherboard was starting to fry two of it's pins because of too much current draw (piss poor motherboard voltage regulator design caused it). The PC would have a low voltage condition from it, the 3.3v side would drop to 3.1v or lower and the CPU would cause the hard drive arm to slam with a loud click sound and the PC would stop responding. Sometimes it would start responding again by itself and sometimes I had to reboot, but afterward everything would be normal again for a while...then same thing. I cleaned the pin/connector a few times but eventually I just upgraded to a new cpu socket/mb/psu. I am still using that drive to this day, no problems.

See, a bad drive won;t slam the armature, it takes a bad control signal to do that, and a hosed system can send that very signal.
 
I agree that any life or death data should be backed up ASAP. Download the diagnostics from your drive manufacturer's website and run them on both drives.
 
i turned on my rig today and it wouldnt detect the hard drive.it was making a clicking noise from the moment i powered it up to when i shut it down.30 minutes later i tried to turn it on again and the same thing happened.what should i do?

EDIT:according to the stickies its the click of death, guess its time to replace the hard drive.
 
hopefully u can get ur information off ur drive (if u havent done that already). if u dont have a 2nd drive to get the information off, i recommend using either Knoppix or Windows Ultimate Boot CD and put it on the seperate storage drive.
 
Hmm, I think BBA might be right.

I did lots of tests, including the Western Digital diagnostics and everything came up fine.

How will I know if there is a problem with the motherboard? How do I test it?

Should I buy a new PSU?
 
BBA said:
I had that happen...turned out the power connector on my motherboard was starting to fry two of it's pins because of too much current draw (piss poor motherboard voltage regulator design caused it). The PC would have a low voltage condition from it, the 3.3v side would drop to 3.1v or lower and the CPU would cause the hard drive arm to slam with a loud click sound and the PC would stop responding. Sometimes it would start responding again by itself and sometimes I had to reboot, but afterward everything would be normal again for a while...then same thing. I cleaned the pin/connector a few times but eventually I just upgraded to a new cpu socket/mb/psu. I am still using that drive to this day, no problems.

See, a bad drive won;t slam the armature, it takes a bad control signal to do that, and a hosed system can send that very signal.
How is your hard drive drawing power from your motherboard? Or are you talking about the 20-something pin Molex plug that goes from the PSU to the motherboard? Just trying to figure out what you're talking about, not trying to raise hell :).
 
Maybe the motherboard got too much power, which caused the other lines to lose power.
 
Back
Top