hard drive clicking

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
1,649
basically I got a hard drive shipped to me in a paper container ( long story) and when I power it on it does not show up and begins clicking. That clicking noise, is it damaging the platter?

My current plan is to wait until I get a good job and have it restored somewhere in or outside the USA. I found some places in Malasian where I think I could have it restored cheaper than in the USA. In the mean time the data should stay on the drive indefinatly correct?

what do you guys think?
 
if the drives clicking it's about to go dead. i would back it up very very soon.
 
if the drives clicking it's about to go dead. i would back it up very very soon.
if windows can even access it. i bought one one time from a member here but another forum, and it would lock windows up. very horrible clicks. seagate warranty FTW :D
 
It's hard to say what is causing the clicking noise. But if there is data on there that you want or need, and if it is not showing up in windows, it is best to not run it any more if you are planning on possibly paying for data recovery at a future time. If the clicking noise is the heads hitting the platter, you will only make the recover job more difficult and expensive.

Don
 
sake it around mabe it improve some . lol i take it back get another one till it right.
 
I have around 9 years of music collected on it. (26,000) mp3s so i want to get it restored.

I found a place in Maylsia that can do it for around $600 or so they say.
 
I have around 9 years of music collected on it. (26,000) mp3s so i want to get it restored.

I found a place in Maylsia that can do it for around $600 or so they say.

Here's yer sign! ;)

Now you know. I personally have 2 external drives that I use to alternalte the backups of my music and pictures off of my Nas box.

Even though they are vastly more reliable than in the past, hard drives are still the highest fail component in a computer.

Good luck.

Don
 
Back
Top