• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

hard drive cases?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
9,223
I am thinking of expanding my offsite backups to using a post office lockbox so I can cover my whole environment instead of only parts of it (my internet connection is to slow to backup everything through the internet). To carry the drives around I'd like some kind of case. Anyone know where I can get something like this?: Preferably in Canada. Don't want to be paying a couple hundred bucks of border fees just for that.

http://www.hudzee.com/?p=120
 
Western Digital sells carrying cases for their Passport drives, $10 for the soft case (WDBABK0000NSL-WASN) and $20 for the rigid ones (WDBJWS0000NBK-NASN). Is this sort of what you're looking for?
 
That looks good, wonder if I can find it in Canada. Or would free shipping also include no border fees? Those are usually tacked on after though, usually it comes as COD.

Just a heads up regarding this, goods under $20 are exempt from border fees I believe.
 
Also check ebay for those cases, the last time I bought a bunch I got them for I think a couple bucks shipped a piece give or take. From China so just get more than ya need at the moment and you'll be good for a while of course. :)
 
Just a heads up regarding this, goods under $20 are exempt from border fees I believe.

Ohhh that's good to know, did not know this. Most of the stuff I've ever bought was above 20. I remember ordering 50 bucks of stuff from Monoprice then having to pay 200 bucks border fees, though it turned out I saved given what I bought from Monoprice was like 600 bucks here. (cat6 cabling).

I'll check Ebay as well. I don't really need them right away so either way works.
 
pelican-case-review-open.jpg

I would get one of these pelican cases.

http://www.branchwhipped.com/pelican-case-review-water-and-crush-resistance-for-your-ipod/
 
That's pretty neat, though overkill for my needs. I ended up getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190358548519

They will go in my car then into a lockbox, and back and forth that way, so they won't get too much abuse.

What I'm thinking of doing is have 5 rotations of my important data which fits fine on a 1TB drive, 3 will be kept at home (usually have at least 1 week retention on one of em) and 2 offsite. Every week or so, I will bring the two I have at home offsite, and take the other two and bring them home. Less important jobs will be similar idea but just 1. The important job gets 2 as if ever I'm in a situation where I need the data, I will only pick one up, that way if I happen to get into an accident or something happens, there is still one offsite. I may even double up the offsite and bring them at work too. 1TB drives are so cheap now, I usually throw one in my order when I buy something. I treat them like tapes, except they hold more, and they don't cost as much. :p
 
Back
Top