Hard disk is getting hot

IT Guru

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
14
Recently I purchase new Samsung hard disk HD160JJ rev.B.

I apply 1.5GB speed limiter juper. & attach to my comuter in fully AC room.

hard disk was out side of computer cabinet.

I did formatting & installation of software.

it was running for just 2 hour.

when I shutdown computer. & touch the hard disk.

fount it was hot !!!!

Why so???? Is it normal ?


I am using samsung IDE 40 GB 5200 rpm hard disk too. Which was purchase in 2002. It is not getting hot at al even after you for number of hours.

then why newly purchase hard disk is getting hot ?
 
How hot is hot? Can you keep your hand still on it or is it scortching?
 
How hot is hot? Can you keep your hand still on it or is it scortching?

Not very hot.

When I touch my old IDE drive does not feel any thing.

Where I find this bit hot. When computer is off & I touch I feel it could as metal surcafece get cold in ac.
 
Is any one chk same with there on SATA drive ?

is they get hot while in use even say for 1/2 hour.







Run Speedfan and see what the reported temp of the drive is...


i am downlaoding same will test. but not sure about its aquracy.
 
it is normal for hard drives to get hot. If you can't hold your hand on the sides of the drive due to heat then you might have a problem...
Either way, it's always a good idea to have some airflow over the drives. Even if it is not a powerful fan it will help out a lot.
 
Yeah it really doesn't take a lot of airflow to cool them. Most of the drives I've seen get hot if there is no airflow over them. A simple low speed 80 or 120mm fan is all you really need.
 
I have kept my cabinet/case cover open only. So more then sufficient cooling & air flaw is there.

I install speedfan 4.31.


For my IDE hard disk it shows temp. around 25C.

But for SATA TEMP is 45-49C.

When I do some data transfer from my IDE to SATA.

SATA temp show as 55C. With flaming / burning symbol before it.

Is 55C normal !!!???

Can you please tell me what temperature showing for your SATA drive [ with 7200 RPM], with how many hours it was on & how active it was like data read/write.
 
55C is a little high.. you can check with manufacturer to see what the normal operating temperature is. And with SpeedFan you can just go to the SMART tab and get the online report. It will tell you the average temp of that hard drive of the ones it has in the database.

I got a pretty weak 120mm fan in front of three hard drives that I use for storage and are usually active from torrent download/uploads. I don't have a temp monitor installed right now but I remember when I did they would be around 30C. I just put my hand on the top one and it isn't even warm at all! Not much is required to cool these things.
 
Can you please tell me what temperature showing for your SATA drive [ with 7200 RPM], with how many hours it was on & how active it was like data read/write.

55C is hot!

My 36GB Raptor (10k rpm, SATA) runs at 29-31C. I have a 160GB SATA WD (7200 rpm) and it runs 32-34C.
 
SpeedFan does not have this hard disk model in there database so they are unable to say about its normal working temp.

Did not found any good help from Samsung.


Operating 0 ~ 60°C
Non-operating -40 ~70°C

So it is already oprating on edge.

Will test for one more day.

I have Iball ATX cabinet. very big one which has handle on top dont remeber exact moel name of it. which does not have HDD fan space.

May be chaning case may give little help.
 
Operating 0 ~ 60°C
Non-operating -40 ~70°C

is that the environment for the harddrive to be in to operate correctly and not how hot the drive can / will get during operation?

the way that they word it - e.g. Operating Temperature is listed for both "operating" and "non-operating" (on / off)

so if the drive can handle 70°C idle, should it not be able to handle itself emitting 70°C in a 60°F environment?
 
is that the environment for the harddrive to be in to operate correctly and not how hot the drive can / will get during operation?

the way that they word it - e.g. Operating Temperature is listed for both "operating" and "non-operating" (on / off)

so if the drive can handle 70°C idle, should it not be able to handle itself emitting 70°C in a 60°F environment?
I've read your post about a hundred times and still don't know what you're talking about :confused:

maybe I am stoopid!


operating temp = when the drive is powered on (idle or active)
non-operating = when drive is just sitting there without any power.
 
Samsung drives kinda run hot. I never came accross one that did not. My Raptor @ idle is running @ 48C right now. but I have no fan on her...
 
operating temp = when the drive is powered on (idle or active)
non-operating = when drive is just sitting there without any power.

right, but what i am saying is the "operating" environment the area around the drive and not the drive itself?

e.g. an intel cpu will turn itself off if it is not sufficiently cool
but thats the inside of the cpu itself and not the environment around it
whether its 10C or 50C outside the cpu, as look as its got a heatsink/fan/cooler that can keep it under its max temp (lets say 75C) then it can be 100C in the air around the CPU as long as the fan can keep the inside of the CPU under its max internal temp

what i am saying / asking is - "is operating temperature internal temperature OR is operating temperature the environment in which the drive is in - e.g. the case, enclosure, etc.

as a side note: IT Guru originally said that the drive that he had that was "hot" was "outside the computer cabinet"

i have had a drive "hanging outside a case" or sitting on the floor next to a case where since it was not in proximity of an enclosure (metal for heat dissipation) or in the direction of a fan to cool it - that it got hotter quicker and stayed hotter longer than if the same drive was in a case, in direct contact of metal and or in the direction of a cooling fan - even at an extremely slow fan speed
 
Back
Top