hard disk choices...

slunge

Limp Gawd
ight, untill now i have been scrimping and saving on harddrives and its about time i spent some money i suppose.. currently have 3x 40gb 2mb caches drives, one of which died last night (guess the manufacturer???) so im looking at getting either a 120/160 gb 8mb cache new drive..

now the question is im after speed first and foremost.. and from what ive seen price wise i have two choices (unless anyone knows any better solutions)

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 120GB 1200JD SATA 8MB Cache - OEM

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB SATA 8MB Cache - OEM

now both are roughly the same price (about 61 GBP), the ide versions are only marginally cheaper (5 quid less) so i figure i may as well stick with sata..

so my question is.. what would you guys buy.. for roughly 70ukp delieverd, thats fairly speedy - im happy to lose a gb here or there if it means its quicker.. hence the fact im not goin for a 160gb drive.. things im bothered about are price/performance and noise..

thanks, S

i would love to get raptors, and have considered it.. problem being im in the uk so newegg isnt an option really :x

thx anyhow

FYI

if you purchase the WD 120 SATA from newegg, you will be paying just over $.80 per GB

the WD 160GB drive for $15 more is just under $.70 per GB

the 160 seems to be the better deal of the two

with the 200GB at $.66 per GB, i bit on two of those babies :)

yeah, ive just been looking at that.. noticed i can get 160gb incarnations of both for £70 uk delivered.. which is reasonable.. just need to decide what to buy, weather or not the sata is worth it.. etc :)

Back