Hard Decision

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have four eVGA 9800 gtx+'s and the step up only has 12 more days left. I paid $164 for them in January. With the gts 250 coming out the price plummeted and with step up I could get a 1 gig 250gts for $169. This is the "safe" route, a higher clocked card, more RAM ( i know it doesn't matter), and less power draw. I'd rather step up to the 260 55nm but they're $244. What do you guys think about the price dropping on the 260's? What would you guys do?

IMO, it's not worth going with the GTX260s since the price difference between the GTS250 and GTX260 is already almost half the cost of some 260s when they're on sale (you can find some GTX260s for around $160 after rebate occasionally). For the same price it would cost you to upgrade all four cards to GTX260s, you could probably step up all of them to GTS250s and buy two additional brand new GTX260s with the remainder.

There is also a good deal on a couple of used GTX260 (192 core) in the DC FS subforum. :)

I have four eVGA 9800 gtx+'s and the step up only has 12 more days left. I paid $164 for them in January. With the gts 250 coming out the price plummeted and with step up I could get a 1 gig 250gts for $169. This is the "safe" route, a higher clocked card, more RAM ( i know it doesn't matter), and less power draw. I'd rather step up to the 260 55nm but they're $244. What do you guys think about the price dropping on the 260's? What would you guys do?

9800GTX+ and gts 250 are exactly the same card.. its just part of nvidia's renaming program to trick people into buying the older cards..

9800GTX+ and gts 250 are exactly the same card.. its just part of nvidia's renaming program to trick people into buying the older cards..

Eh I know. Less power draw by at least 10 watts. Also i'll get a higher resale value out the 1gig version. Runs cooler, has higher default clocks. I want the 260's but they're to expensive on evga's website and they're not coming down anytime soon.

but if its just a folding card it wont make a different.. F@H gpu uses almost no video memory.. and i actually think it hinders the resale value because nvidia's stupid and underselling the card for what its actual value is.. since the current 9800GTX+ still sells for $139+..

as for the 10w that can be made up by just the fact that its running a slower fan or aftermarket fan.. take a look at the asus 4870 DK's.. uses 10w less then the reference design because its running a slower fan..
in all honesty its your choice.. as long as evga isnt making you pay any money for the step up.. then sure do it.. but if they are.. then screw that shit because your getting ripped off by basically buying your card back.. also if the whole higher stock clock is so important.. why not just overclock the card your self.. the gts 250 isnt going to overclock any better then the 9800GTX+ since they both use the same identical reference design.. basicly all evga did was update the bios on the 9800GTX+ so it shows up as a gts 250.. bet if you take off the heatsink/cover you will see 9800GTX+ some where on the card or the pcb numbers are identical

I'd ditch both 9800GTX's and upgrade to 2 295s and sell one of them off, and you'll have 1 card that does more points then both 250's combined in one slot.

Just my 2 cents.

Back