Happy Windows 7! How'd your install go?

Downloaded 7 TRM from MSDN burned and installed on a just out of the box Dell Studio 1737, flawless install all my software works fine. The laptop came with Vista ultimate and 7 runs much better.

I had trouble installing the ATI 9.8 drivers on two systems, but it seems as if I do the manual driver install first, and then after a reboot, do a normal install, I'll get the right drivers, and the CCC loaded as well.
Anyone tried the version posted by Oribit? Not sure if its the technet or not.
If it's the RTM, and it didn't come from TechNet or MSDN, I wouldn't discuss it here.

Successfully used the Anytime upgrade to upgrade my win7 from home to win7 pro (since I got my pro key from MSDNAA). Not so smooth though:

Tried to run the setup.exe from the Win7 RTM disc - fail ("please run anytime upgrade instead").

Kicked off anytime upgrade, gave it my MSDNAA Pro product key, it accepted it and started the process. "Will take at least 10 minutes, or longer depending on which updates it needs to install". Left it for about 1.5 hours and it still was just stuck on this "Downloading 1 update" screen.

End tasked it since I couldn't cancel out of it.

Tried to re-run but it said it was already in process and ot "please cancel the existing process". Killed a Anytime upgrade process in the process tab.

Attempted to re-run. Didn't ask me to re-enter key. Went straight to checking the key and then to the rest of the screens. Went to same "Downloading updates" screen. Came back 20 min later and it had errored out "invalid key for this type of upgrade" or something like that.

So I shut down...and it started upgrading Windows ? :eek:

Anyway, after a few more reboots, I'm up and running on Pro. Went and clicked the activate button and it activated fine. Dunno.

Wanted to post in case anyone else tries this manuever (upgrading versions using a key).

Successfully used the Anytime upgrade to upgrade my win7 from home to win7 pro (since I got my pro key from MSDNAA). Not so smooth though:

Tried to run the setup.exe from the Win7 RTM disc - fail ("please run anytime upgrade instead").

Kicked off anytime upgrade, gave it my MSDNAA Pro product key, it accepted it and started the process. "Will take at least 10 minutes, or longer depending on which updates it needs to install". Left it for about 1.5 hours and it still was just stuck on this "Downloading 1 update" screen.

End tasked it since I couldn't cancel out of it.

Tried to re-run but it said it was already in process and ot "please cancel the existing process". Killed a Anytime upgrade process in the process tab.

Attempted to re-run. Didn't ask me to re-enter key. Went straight to checking the key and then to the rest of the screens. Went to same "Downloading updates" screen. Came back 20 min later and it had errored out "invalid key for this type of upgrade" or something like that.

So I shut down...and it started upgrading Windows ? :eek:

Anyway, after a few more reboots, I'm up and running on Pro. Went and clicked the activate button and it activated fine. Dunno.

Wanted to post in case anyone else tries this manuever (upgrading versions using a key).

I'm confused. Why were you running 7 Home to begin with? Was it an experiment to see how upgrading from one version of 7 to another works?

Is there a way to hide or disable the Show Hidden Icons button on the taskbar?

Yes.

1ouu1rn9bcii487q4r4b.png

I think he want's the icons to remain hidden, but not have the little ^ arrow that contains the hidden icons (at least that's how I read it).

If the icons remain hidden with no way of showing them.... :rolleyes: I assumed he knew that wasn't possible.

I'm confused. Why were you running 7 Home to begin with? Was it an experiment to see how upgrading from one version of 7 to another works?

I was going to go with the home upgrade edition in October so I was testing it out sans activation until then.

But then I got the MSDNAA Pro version :D

If the icons remain hidden with no way of showing them.... :rolleyes: I assumed he knew that wasn't possible.

Do many people turn off ALL their taskbar icons? I know that I like the sound and having a process monitor running.

Last edited:

You misunderstood me. I think he wants to get rid of the ^ icon that you click on to see the hidden program icons.

I was going to go with the home upgrade edition in October so I was testing it out sans activation until then.

But then I got the MSDNAA Pro version :D

Ah. OK. Interesting that you could do the upgrade. I wonder if it would have taken an upgrade key too. If so, then that means you could install home (without a key), and then do an anytime upgrade to Pro (with key). Basically, it'd mean you could buy an upgrade as a full install without a legit prior install. That mimics Vista, but I'd read that they closed that loop hole.

You misunderstood me. I think he wants to get rid of the ^ icon that you click on to see the hidden program icons.

I understood you completely. I gave him the only possible way to do what he want's.

Ah. OK. Interesting that you could do the upgrade. I wonder if it would have taken an upgrade key too. If so, then that means you could install home (without a key), and then do an anytime upgrade to Pro (with key). Basically, it'd mean you could buy an upgrade as a full install without a legit prior install. That mimics Vista, but I'd read that they closed that loop hole.

Not sure if that would work...someone would have to test with an win7 Pro upgrade key...since my MSDNAA key isn't an upgrade key but a full key.

I'm surprised it worked since it seemed like the Anytime upgrade keys were supposed to be different somehow than the product keys.

I'm considering seeing if this method works to get an in-place upgrade across versions.
As in: my wife has Vista Home Basic x86 on her laptop. She's can only do an in-place upgrade to Win7 Home Premium and Ultimate (not pro). But if it worked again, I could do an in-place upgrade to win7 Home Premium, and then the Anytime upgrade to win7 pro, and keep all her programs and stuff.

Not sure though. Prob just do a clean install and move her over to x64.

I understood you completely. I gave him the only possible way to do what he want's.

Sheesh, I must have been asleep when I read/replied to your message, because upon rereading it, it's obvious you did.

We now return you to your coherent conversations.

Anyone ever reboot and see something about windows failed to start correctly and then you have to choose repair or start normally? Mine started to do this randomly but I have yet to ever see it lockup or reboot when trying to start.

Installed a clean copy over the weekend and everything seems to be working really nicely except having to turn down my overclock for getting Source games to work (hl2.exe crashes). However, a problem has come up where I never have internet connection at startup. I can fix it by disabling the port and reenabling it, but I shouldn't have to do this every single time I boot. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've just installed the lastest drivers that apparently support WIndows 7 I believe and the problem still persists. Specs are in sig.

Of course every time I post a problem, it decides to fix itself overnight :rolleyes: .

I guess now that everything is working like magic, I'm really happy with what this came out to be.

Back