Happy Windows 7! How'd your install go?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Okay, we should start hearing about the install experience shortly. Please post only stuff about your installation experience and ONLY, ONLY with this MSDN/TechNet release please.

5:40PM ET- GOT IT!!! BBL!
6:06PM ET - Started install
6:50PM ET - Experiencing a little quirkiness... But the install seems to running ok now
7:06PM ET - DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Quick and painless. 18 mins from start of install to my desktop.

Now to play!

Apps installed so far:

Xfire
Steam
Office 2007
Avira
Flash 10

Last edited:
Had a minor hiccup during install, no biggie though. Took ~20 mins.

I have to say this install was much smoother than vista and boy it runs "like butta!"

Startup/shutdown is super fast and I absolutely love being able to install a new video driver without restarting.

Last edited:
Sometimes i get the feeling certain people around here jump the gun just so they can be the OP. It's the new "First!"

Reserved for a few systems. Or is it? :p

Last edited:
Sometimes i get the feeling certain people around here jump the gun just so they can be the OP. It's the new "First!"

Of course! But I think that this topic is going to become VERY relavent in about 4 hours or so!:D

K well, I installed everything that I need, Office, ventrilo, my games, restored my settings, and my anti-virus which was a pain to install.

Everything is swell. I am really diggin W7 now.

Last edited:
Well, two weeks ago I did an in-place upgrade from Vista with the leaked RTM ISO. Took about an hour and mostly everything worked. I had to reload my Audigy 2 ZS drivers. Also had to uninstall Kasperky or else the install refused to continue.

But from an application standpoint, everything worked 100% for me. All games I have loaded (including Steam games) are 100% functional.

ugh, this sucks. I would of had a account but my teacher messed and didn't give me access to it.. or so- cal he says .

I did my RTM install a few weeks ago when it leaked out but I did however get my CD Key today :).

i won't be installing till tomorrow. I'm averaging like 75k/s :/

/me glares at stupid T1 connection

19% done and @ 70kb/s

:groan::eek:

what are the chances if I use windows backup on RC1 on my laptop, once I do a clean install of the RTM I can restore with the backup. Will report back. :D

On my sig rig the installer seems to pause a lot. I didn't see this in RC build on the sig rig but I don't think anything is wrong, I was just too impatient. So I'm at the end of the install, should be back on the sig rig shortly with 7 RTM up!

Lets see, Installed the RTM about 2 weeks ago and everything went great, had some initial problems with a game, LOTRO, but was able to figure it out. With the exception of some weirdness with WMP (running in background after closing it out), everything is good.

Downloaded Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate) RTM very early this morning from MSDN. Performed a clean install that took 13 minutes!!!! (Never have I seen a windows install take that short amount of time), installed my sound and video drivers, reinstalled MLB 2K9 with patches, World In Conflict with patches, and Unreal Tournament 3 with patches. Setup SLI as well.

UT3: 91FPS (Windows 7 x64) / 79FPS (Windows Vista x64) All graphics turned on FULL
WIC: 89FPS (Windows 7 x64) / 67FPS (Windows Vista x64) All Graphics turned on FULL
MLB 2K9: 125FPS (Windows 7 x64) / 97FPS (Windows Vista x64) All graphics turned on FULL

I have to say that I am very very very impress with Windows 7 x64 so far. Now I am waiting for Wolfenstein to come out in a few weeks!!!!!

Way to go Microsoft!!!! So far so good....

Just burned Ultimate 64-bit (TechNet) it to a disc. Since I'm using XP Pro 32-bit, I couldn't run bootsect.exe to make a bootable thumb drive.

I'm waiting to install when I get a new HDD for it. Tips on what to do as soon as it's installed? I want to move all my dynamic data to different HDDs (apps, games, user stuff?), as well as image the installation.

Loaded x64 on my laptop as an upgrade. Too many utilities on the laptop not compatible. Including Acronis. Which is currently restoring the Vista backup I made last night.

Loaded x64 on my laptop as an upgrade. Too many utilities on the laptop not compatible. Including Acronis. Which is currently restoring the Vista backup I made last night.

Acronis True Image? The 2009 edition IS Windows 7 compatiable.

Just got up and running with my new RTM install... smooth as silk, downloading a few apps now. No problems to report.

Been running it for two weeks now but just activated it a few hours ago, nothing bad to report so far.

Install went smoothly. Was a bit slow but it's an old machine and I left the room so no problem. Sound and wireless did not work out of box, but a simple click into an ethernet cord and Windows Update later, and it was all running. Love how it does that. Activation worked.

I tried Pro since I'd been running Ultimate through Beta/RC wanted to see if it was much different. No games were installed by default, the 'Anytime Upgrade' was there, and the Bitlocker control panel item was gone. I still saw the BranchCache service listed though. Disk footprint / RAM footprint seem the same, as would be expected.

Aero is not supported by this machine, so I switched it back to the Windows 2000 look and feel since I got sick of the fake-Aero I had on my last Win7 install. Threw my usual load of software on it, it's taken it all in stride so far. Thunderbird, Openoffice, Mediaplayer Classic HC, and just trying the newish Eclipse Galileo for the first time.

Won't be trying any games unfortunately, this laptop has no graphics muscle whatsoever, but I can't wait to try games on 7.

started my download at work at 1pm EST the moment it came out, at 80KB/s it's still downloading! =/

then when i got home they started this "top downloads" akamai crap and capping the connection speeds to hell. i'll be lucky if i get it this week.

Went smooth on both my desktop and laptop.

Had no hiccups during the entire process. Win7 had a wireless driver for my laptop (Acer Aspire 6920) and joined the wireless network before asking if I was in home or workplace. All other drivers installed at the first boot to desktop.

First, I am VERY impressed with the Live Messenger implementation with Win 7. It's very easy, and convenient.

I still have another laptop and a HTPC desktop to do this weekend. Those 2 will be an experience since they are older in hardware.

Ultimate 64 is up and running like buttah. I love the little things in this OS. However, I forgot how woosy it makes me feel with all of the bells and whistles turned on. Smacked back all of the crap to maintain performance and keep my stomach settled.

Office Ultimate 2007 and the CS4 suite loaded up no probs. I just have to migrate all of my Outlook and other business-related data and this system can finally be put to use.

Back