HannsG 27.5" LCD at BestBuy... anyone know anything?

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8553326&type=product&id=1188561324689
Model number is HG-281DJB, only one relevant hit turns up in Google. Different base than the beautiful 28", 160 degree viewing angle suggests another TN panel. I've got some store credit coming my way from an extended warranty, thinking of buying this screen. And no, it's not the same monitor- the other model is 281DPB, this is 281DJB.

Oh- it does seem to share a lot with the popular one, I get the feeling BBY just wanted a custom SKU so they wouldn't have to price match. Integrated speakers, HDMI and VGA inputs, and a supposedly included VGA-to-component adapter so you can hook it up to home theater stuff.

Also, can anyone tell me the warranty on this? HannsG seems to be saying 1-year on the LCD itself, 3-year on everything else. How would BBY treat this in terms of their extended warranty? (For that matter, how much is the extended warranty?)

I was doing some research on this and it appears to be absolutely identical to the Costco one-its identical except for one letter in the model number. All of the other vitals on the Best Buy page match including the 27.5-Newegg indicates its actually 27.5 viewable. I wish someone could tell us something about it because I would like to use the 10% coupon floating around to pick this up this week. The other guy that got the 28 from newegg seems to love it.

just got it from Best buy for $632 after taxes using the 10% USPS mover's coupon, I have to say, on first blush, I like it better than my 2407WFP-HC

just got it from Best buy for $632 after taxes using the 10% USPS mover's coupon, I have to say, on first blush, I like it better than my 2407WFP-HC

That is awesome man-I am going to use the 10% reward zone one floating around, and I am likely going to get it this week, glad to hear you like it keep the impressions coming.

It's a tn panel in case any of you were wondering. I have seen this panel in person I wasn't impressed, but I haven't been impressed by any lcd unless its an s-ips, colorshifting bothers the crap out of me.

I know its a TN panel, but is the loss of image quality that severe for someone that just stares straight at it? I dont know if the 2407 HC is an IPS panel, but people complain about ghosting and its exceedingly expensive. I guess the question really is, for someone who primarily plays games and is not super sensitive to small color/definition loss, is there really any noticeable difference in clarity? I am typing on my brothers Dell 27 and its fine, and have also used his non HC 24 and thought it was more than acceptable-is it just that I am not particular about these things or am I missing something obvious?

The size attracts me the most of course since I am upgrading from an excellent color but small dell 20.1.

I know its a TN panel, but is the loss of image quality that severe for someone that just stares straight at it? I dont know if the 2407 HC is an IPS panel, but people complain about ghosting and its exceedingly expensive. I guess the question really is, for someone who primarily plays games and is not super sensitive to small color/definition loss, is there really any noticeable difference in clarity? I am typing on my brothers Dell 27 and its fine, and have also used his non HC 24 and thought it was more than acceptable-is it just that I am not particular about these things or am I missing something obvious?

2407 HC is pva, and it does have color shifting also. If you don't notice the color shifting then I guess you will be fine with it. I went from a Dell 20'' Ips to the Dell 24" and the colorshifting is very noticeable to me. The Dell 27'' is also a pva so if you don't notice colorshifting on it, then you should be fine with the TN panel, but colorshifting is worse on Tn panels than pva panels.

Munkle, at the risk of sounding dumb, can you explain to me exactly what this colorshifting effect is? I don't know that I really understand what this looks like and how much effect it has (I do know that I can rarely tell too much of a difference between most higher end monitors).

Munkle, at the risk of sounding dumb, can you explain to me exactly what this colorshifting effect is? I don't know that I really understand what this looks like and how much effect it has (I do know that I can rarely tell too much of a difference between most higher end monitors).

If you bring up a solid background say white or black, in the center of the screen the color will be white or black, but as you go out from the center towards the edge the color changes to a yellow/tanish for white or gray for black. Its because you are not looking at the sides straight on like you are the center of the screen and this causes the colors to change. Its the worst on tn panels because they have the worst viewing angles, slightly less bad on pmva panels and ips having the best viewing angels doesn't start to shift colors until extreme angles.

I finally saw this monitor in person today, and while it of course is subject to the vagaries of being connected to whatever random source the store wants, it held up extremely well against competing monitors, looking considerably better at first blush than both the Westy 24 and the Samsung 245B as well as several others. While it didn't appear to have quite the clarity of the Dell 27 I used much of this weekend at my brothers, I was extremely impressed. If I can find another Reward Zone coupon for this I think I will pick it up.

Back