• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

hangs & crashes: causes

morkboy_wonder

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2007
Messages
377
Hi all. I am new to overclocking and I am looking for some advice. A friend once told me that hangs (ie screen stuck) are usually due to an undervolted CPU whilst sudden crashes are often due to a memory problem. Can anyone confirm this is true or just overclocking hocus pocus?
 
Well...maybe and maybe not. I think your friends generalizing a bit too easily. There are many variables/factors that can cause those same "symptoms." You'd have to do some detective work by singling out some factors before coming a conclusion of what may be causing the problem. For example, in the past my system would suddenly shutdown out of nowhere. It could have been due to extreme overheat, a virus, a problem with Windows, failing capacitors on the motherboard - leaking electrolyte, inadequate or failing power supply, memory problems, etc.

Overclocking is a little more finicky, sometimes you may or may not produce the same symptoms. I would advise you google some tutorials on how to approach overclocking in small increments (so that you will know what small changes you made that "may" have caused you to witness any new problems/symptoms).
 
Back
Top