Hands on look at retail PS3 (video)

That german dude annoyed the crap out of me...I have it stuck in my head now... "yah....yah....yah"

/slams head onto desk

They should have kept that thing in the display case ... weighing in at 11 pounds ... that thing is fugly IMO. Maybe it will look better in real life. Its funny how the German guys says the HDMI port is "Very Important" lol. So When you use HDMI... Do you only use the HDMI port for the Video and Optical Out for the audio? I thought HDMI was everything in one cable....

confused.. :(

Isaacav2 said:
Do you only use the HDMI port for the Video and Optical Out for the audio? I thought HDMI was everything in one cable....

confused.. :(
HDMI is video/audio in one port.

wow, its as heavy as the XBOX 1. And tell me why they copied the 360 with the silver stripe meaning premium and non premium not having silver on the front.At the end of the day the graphics and gameplay better be good, then again if MGS4 is released for the 360 too PS3 can kiss my @ss goodbye. ;)

blazingrig said:
wow, its as heavy as the XBOX 1.
Internal powersupply and a huge heatsink to keep it cool and quiet probably adds to that weight.
According to press docs (Q&A), the retail ps3 will be 29db, which is equivalent to slim-line PS2.

Spider-man font FTW. :p

As soon as he took it out, I was hoping he would drop it.

Isaacav2 said:
They should have kept that thing in the display case ... weighing in at 11 pounds ... that thing is fugly IMO.

Agreed. I thought the PS2 was probably one of the ugliest consoles around - having a very unfinished look to it. This one looks a little better in my opinion, but still has cheap doors and visible ports.

And since the large size of the original Xbox was one of the biggest factors for failure in Japan, it'll be amusing to see them covet their almighty PS3 - despite it being a friggin' boat anchor.

But in the end, I don't care how a console looks if it plays great games for cheap. Right now, the PS3 looks like it will do neither anytime soon.

I dont see how that can be an actual retail unit, considering that they supposedly just lowered the spec on the RSX (my guess is heat problems in the debugging phase trying to get ready for production), and that they haven't even begun production of retail units as of what 4 days ago?

The best that can be is a preproduction test sample.

As for the optical out, I am assuming that is for people who are using the alternate video outputs for non HDMI televisions.

Nuzzles said:
That little door hinge looked cheap as hell.

gfg.gif

The only feature I can see handy on the PS3, is the SD and Flash Memory rather than Sony's verison.

Oh well, I still have the preorder down for the Wii.

Erasmus354 said:
I dont see how that can be an actual retail unit, considering that they supposedly just lowered the spec on the RSX (my guess is heat problems in the debugging phase trying to get ready for production), and that they haven't even begun production of retail units as of what 4 days ago?

or it could be just a shell with a brick in it. not like its even doing anything.

JadedMaple said:
The only feature I can see handy on the PS3, is the SD and Flash Memory rather than Sony's verison.

Oh well, I still have the preorder down for the Wii.

Close, but not quite:

The video was, blah, but the machine is actually looking pretty sexy, especially the premium with the silver accents. It is the only console that looks like it belongs in an entertainment unit. I could live without the top curve though. Biggest shocker is that the final unit does actually use a standard $2 pc power cable. Sony, notorious for proprietary power cables on all their electronics did the right thing for once. No losing the power brick, or breaking the cable connecter.

Disappointed in the slot loading disc drive. BD discs better be getting TDK's spincoat process to prevent scratching.

The door flap does look flimsy, but no more than most other CE devices. Was the door even needed?

If the games deliver, it could end up being a very good console despite the horrid promotional job Sony has done.

Erasmus354 said:

As for the optical out, I am assuming that is for people who are using the alternate video outputs for non HDMI televisions.

Sony has yet to say anything about lowered RSX specs, so until there is an official announcement, it is rumors.

As for the optical out - two big reasons it is needed. 1.) Some people are going to be running the HDMI through a HDMI->DVI converter (which will work fine if you have a HDCP compliant DVI port) which would strip any audio signal, and 2.) Unless you have a receiver that can handle HDMI (and most don't, especially not some older models that can still do Dolby Digital through optical) there is no way to get 5.1 surround plus the HDMI picture to your TV. Thus, there will be plenty of people running the HDMI to their TV, and the optical to their receiver.

PoweredBySoy said:
And since the large size of the original Xbox was one of the biggest factors for failure in Japan, it'll be amusing to see them covet their almighty PS3 - despite it being a friggin' boat anchor.

The idea that the Xbox failed because the Japanese were turned off by its size is very misleading. It failed because it had absolutely zero games that the Japanese wanted to play.

wortst interview ever... "all the extra stuff might be the reason for the extra weight".. we'll just have to see how it runs now

Goddamn that console is sexy. This is the first piece of hardware that actually looks like it belongs with a home theater system. The X360 was a huge improvement over the first XBOX as far as aesthetics but the PS3 just takes home the gold.

friedchicken said:
HDMI doesn't pass 5.1 digital audio untill the 1.3 release.
Yeah it does. Since HDMI 1.1, it can pass 8 channels of digital audio, either as Dolby Digital, DTS, or uncompressed PCM. HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

According to him, the weight is due to the speed of the processor and graphics capabilities. Lol.

Next revision, sony will add wheels so now it can replace your home computer and family car!

he was about to say you press the home button on sony controller just like the xbox 360 controller to turn the console on

Who cares how big the console is, it's kinda moronic seeing xbox 360 fans saying that. I got the xbox and i could care less that it's bigger then my ps2.

LynxFX said:
The video was, blah, but the machine is actually looking pretty sexy, especially the premium with the silver accents. It is the only console that looks like it belongs in an entertainment unit. I could live without the top curve though. Biggest shocker is that the final unit does actually use a standard $2 pc power cable. Sony, notorious for proprietary power cables on all their electronics did the right thing for once. No losing the power brick, or breaking the cable connecter.

Disappointed in the slot loading disc drive. BD discs better be getting TDK's spincoat process to prevent scratching.

The door flap does look flimsy, but no more than most other CE devices. Was the door even needed?

If the games deliver, it could end up being a very good console despite the horrid promotional job Sony has done.

The previous playstations (except the ps-one where the adaptor plugged into the wall) have used standard 2-prong polarized or non-polarized cords, a quality dollar store item.

All blu-ray discs use TDKs scratch resistant coating. I'd be more concerned about the slot loading drives reliability, i don't mean this in an anti-sony way but slot loading drives in general aren't regarded for their quality.

I'd bet the flap is only there so they can maintain the same look as the non-premium model, although i agree it looks rather fragile.

I never cared about the size of the original Xbox, though I remember a lot of Sony Fans ripping on it, so it's nice to see them not talking anymore. I don't think the console looks very good itself though. From the front it kind of looks like the first VCR my parents bought, when I was growing up in the early 80s, except that PS3 was black, and not silver, and is bulging on the top.

Not that it matters, it's all about the games.

Jerome36 said:
I never cared about the size of the original Xbox, though I remember a lot of Sony Fans ripping on it, so it's nice to see them not talking anymore. I don't think the console looks very good itself though. From the front it kind of looks like the first VCR my parents bought, when I was growing up in the early 80s, except that PS3 was black, and not silver, and is bulging on the top.

Not that it matters, it's all about the games.
So since a couple ps2 !!!!!!s cared about the size of a console you lower yourself and resort to the same tactics or even care about it? And the xbox was a big rectangle it really had nothing going for it. As for looking like a vcr my xbox does a great job at that. The gamecube was tiny it must have been the best system.

Luke_Skywalker said:
So since a couple ps2 !!!!!!s cared about the size of a console you lower yourself and resort to the same tactics or even care about it? And the xbox was a big rectangle it really had nothing going for it. As for looking like a vcr my xbox does a great job at that. The gamecube was tiny it must have been the best system.

The fact is that SONY themselves ridiculed the original xbox's size. Not just sony !!!!!!s. Its the irony of THAT fact that has some people commenting on the PS3's size. And what exactly is wrong with commenting on the size of it? Dont see anyone saying anything like 'its big so it must be shit'. Its just people comparing sizes so calm down.

Still, its an ugly machine in my eyes, but it wont look out of place sitting under the tv thanks to the silver version. My 360 looks totally out of place. But then it does look like a games machine.

I don't get why anyone really cares about the size or weight, how many people really tote their systems about that much? My PS2 (original big one) got moved maybe 5 times during the 4 or 5 years I had it before it died.

Back