Handbrake x264 conversion 360.

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I'm not totally sure if this belongs here, but... if I am using handbrake to convert x264 files to mp4 with the 360 preset will I lose any visual quality? Reason I am doing this is, because I rather stream the movies to my 360 than from my desktop to my laptop and connect it to my t.v., then I can't use my remote.

I've converted normal DVDs I have to mp4 with the 360 preset in 480i and they look decent and only took 1 hour to convert; however these blu-ray/hd rips take about 2-4 hours. I'm just curious with that preset if they will loose their HD quality of 1080p.

Thank you!

4 hours is a long time.. on a quad 6600 @ 3.2 it even seems. o_O

First of all, x264 is a piece of software, so there is no way you can convert x264 files to mp4. Ontop of that, if you did mean H.264 to MP4, that's not a valid conversion because H.264 is a format (specification if you want to be technical) while MP4 is a container. Can't convert a format to a container.

Secondly, there will always be a quality loss when converting to other formats, unless the format you're converting to is lossless.. which the 360 doesn't support

And probably finally, unless you're reencoding at a very high bitrate (15000kbps+) using those settings, I wouldn't expect the final output to look great. If you want great, you'd have to sacrifice at least triple that time to achieve 'quality'. I say that as I'm converting a Blu-ray with x264, and 16 hours later on my Q6600 @ 3.3, it still isn't finished, and I know for a fact it could look better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless you consider 4 hours enough time to convert a Blu-ray to a format your 360 can handle and looks satisfactory, then sure, keep using it. If not, well now you know why.

PS: Wrong forum, too.

I'm not totally sure if this belongs here, but... if I am using handbrake to convert x264 files to mp4 with the 360 preset will I lose any visual quality? Reason I am doing this is, because I rather stream the movies to my 360 than from my desktop to my laptop and connect it to my t.v., then I can't use my remote.

I've converted normal DVDs I have to mp4 with the 360 preset in 480i and they look decent and only took 1 hour to convert; however these blu-ray/hd rips take about 2-4 hours. I'm just curious with that preset if they will loose their HD quality of 1080p.

Thank you!

4 hours is a long time.. on a quad 6600 @ 3.2 it even seems. o_O

Use xenon mkv. You won't lose quality because its removing the mkv container and replacing with an mp4 file. You will lose audio quality because it has to mux it in 2.0.

Or give encode360 a whirl, converts to wmv

encode360 is ok if you need to preserve the 5.1 audio, but its going to take several hours. XenonMKV and GotSent take roughly twenty minutes for a tv show, and 45 minutes for a movie. It doesn't handle subtitles very well.

encode360 is ok if you need to preserve the 5.1 audio, but its going to take several hours. XenonMKV and GotSent take roughly twenty minutes for a tv show, and 45 minutes for a movie. It doesn't handle subtitles very well.

Never heard of them, ill have to take a look

Back