HandBrake Encoding Error

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I am having a weird problem (again) with HandBrake
I am trying to encode a ripped decrypted DVD (Final Destination From the year 2000).

The error is apparently caused by the chapter list (The movie will encode fine as long as I don't add the chapter markers which I obviously want)

I have the chapter list

Final%20Destination%20(2000)%20-%20Chapter%20List.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/formatc/images/Misc_Projects/Final Destination - Chapter List.csv

and here is the error message

http://webpages.charter.net/formatc/images/Misc_Projects/HB_Err.txt

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the movie to encode with the chapter list intact?

Thanks

Code:
An Unknown Error has occured.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.QueryGeneratorUtility.ChapterCsvSave(IEnumerable`1 chapters, String filePathName) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Utilities\QueryGeneratorUtility.cs:line 1121
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.QueryGeneratorUtility.ChapterMarkersQuery(EncodeTask task) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Utilities\QueryGeneratorUtility.cs:line 927
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.QueryGeneratorUtility.GenerateTabbedComponentsQuery(EncodeTask task, Boolean enableFilters, Int32 verbosity, Boolean disableLibDvdNav, Boolean disableQsvDecode, Boolean enableHwd, Boolean enableOpenCL) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Utilities\QueryGeneratorUtility.cs:line 137
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.QueryGeneratorUtility.GenerateQuery(EncodeTask task, HBConfiguration configuration) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Utilities\QueryGeneratorUtility.cs:line 48
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.Base.EncodeBase.SetupLogging(QueueTask encodeQueueTask) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\Base\EncodeBase.cs:line 343
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.Encode.Start(QueueTask encodeQueueTask) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\Encode.cs:line 191
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.QueueProcessor.Start(Boolean isClearCompleted) in C:\HandBrake\hbworkspace\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\HandBrake\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\QueueProcessor.cs:line 460
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionExecutionContext context) in c:\Users\Rob\Documents\CodePlex\caliburnmicro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 289
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in c:\Users\Rob\Documents\CodePlex\caliburnmicro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 254
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

If you're encoding to an MKV container, just do it without the chapters and then add them manually using mkvtoolnix or some other tool. While it's probably not the cause (but it could be), that last empty chapter marker might be causing an issue.

Scratch that: for whatever reason, that chapter csv file is seriously borked; it has no actual timestamp info in it (this is exactly what that file has):

Code:
1,Main Titles
2,Flight 180
3,Departure
4,Early Exit
5,"""I Didn't Cause This."""
6,Memorial
7,Tod
8,A Visit With Clear
9,Death's Design
10,Signs
11,Path Of Destruction
12,Miss Lewton
13,Looking For Alex
14,"""Who's Next?"""
15,Safe House
16,Alex's Revelation
17,Race Against Death
18,6 Months Later
19,End Credits

Not sure what's going on and I don't know where you're getting the timestamp info but that csv at that link doesn't have that info inside it which could be the reason it's all busted.

From experience I've never been able to just feed a csv file to HandBrake as a chapter list, it requires a very specific format which irritated me so much I just stopped using chapter markers at all in my own encodes. If you yourself are adding the chapter info and timestamps you're probably going to discover it'll balk at what you're creating which again is just another possibility for the error.

You might consider checking ChapterDB.org for potentially useful chapter lists as well, they tend to be a bit more accurate overall in my experience (and a somewhat proper format depending).

You could always ask this kind of support question at the actual HandBrake support forum located here too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You! I found the problem
It was the last empty chapter marker
Also the screencap was the actual window from handbrake. Handbrake gets the timestamps from the DVD files the csv is just for the chapter number and name

Back