Handbrake and Subtitles

Azhar

Fixing stupid since 1972
I use Handbrake at 80.39% (RF:10) video to convert a 7.8gb DVD into a very nice quality 2.8gb MKV. I can't figure out how to make it also rip the subtitle so that it can be turned on and off in MPC-HC.

I don't want it burned in. I want to be able to toggle it on and off. Can anyone tell me how I go about doing this?

you have to rip them correctly when you rip the vob file then they will appear in the drop down on the subtitles tab

you have to rip them correctly when you rip the vob file then they will appear in the drop down on the subtitles tab

Yeah I got that much. Change to English BMP and then select Add.

But the checkboxes are Forced, Default, and Burned In. I don't want it burned in. I want to be able to turn it on and off.

I have been wondering this too. I recently switched from DVD-RB to Handbrake and hate the fact that I can't turn on/off my subtitles. I always choose the subtitle I want and burn them in (sometimes I get the wrong subtitle track and have to reburn). DVD-RB does it perfectly - I can choose all english tracks and it will set them so that I can switch between them or nothing.

I haven't tried this yet, but what happens if you select multiple subtitle tracks with Handbrake? Does it burn in one, and you can switch between them?

I haven't tried it yet. I ultimately decided on another route. Originally i have 498 DVD movies ripped as-is in video_ts folder structure and it fit nicely in my 4tb BlackArmor storage with about 450gb to spare.

After a month of warching videos off that storage unit i sometimes get frustrated with all the trailers, previews, FBI warnings and menus that takes too fricken long to give me selections, i decided to go the MKV route. After converting 2 movies in about 3 hours and realizing i had 496 more to go, i said fuck it and tried another way - something i should have done from the start - I'm using DVDFab6 to rip only the feature film, 5.1 audio, and english subs, keeping it untouched by compression tools, cutting space requirements by more than half, and yet keeping it very DVD-player-friendly.

It only takes 10 minutes per movie and its a simple one touch process.

I'm interested in this thread... since I'm hard of hearing and must require subtitles to work. So I used DVD Decrypter (old software but still works) to get all the files off and onto the hard drive and use handbrake to convert to iphone friendly movies when I travel but the problem is that If i try to burn subs with all three options I can't seem to get the subs to work.

Easy as cheese. You'll notice in the track dropdown that you'll have a few options. What I do: select all of them. On occasion, it's not always easy to tell which selection will yield which result, so select all of them and build the MKV. In your player, you'll be able to flip through subtitle tracks. Make note of which tracks you wish to keep.

After this, I use the mkvmerge GUI to remux everything with 'important' information like the file title (which Handbrake does not write) and to modify the titles of various tracks, including the subtitle tracks. Take note that you'll need to export the chapters and then select for mkvmerge to import the chapter list you've exported (in the global pane), since it cannot remux with the chapter data present in the MKV.

As for burning subs, I've found that Handbrake doesn't. MediaCoder, however, works fine, though it's not nearly as user-friendly as Handbrake. You'll need to run it with elevated privileges to get the font selection dropdown in the subtitles tab on Vista and 7.

Back