HALP! SMP client

poddo

2005 [H]orde|Bowl Champion
I feel dumb cuz I used to be the one helping people, but here's the deal:

Tried to install SMP console client on a q6600. Followed all the instructions on the FAH site. When I check the log, it says it loaded que successfully, but it isn't downloading anything. fah.exe is allowed by the firewall, as are the 2 things that popped up after I ran install.bat. Any ideas?

What OS?

Are you using Vista? If so, turn off UAC (User Access Control, I think) but turn it on if you want after SMP is installed.

You have to turn it off... reboot... install SMP... turn on UAC again if you want.

Doh. I should have known that. I turned it off after i installed. ><

Do I need to uninstall anything before I re-install?

also, when I'm going through the config, do I set big units and advmethods? Or is that redundant and already applied since its the smp?

still trying. I tried putting it not in the program files, and i ran fah.exe -config only from an elevated command prompt, we'll see what happens this time

Still nothing. Here's my log

# SMP Client ##################################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta5

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: c:\fah
Service: c:\fah\fah.exe
Arguments: -svcstart

Launched as a service.
Entered c:\fah to do work.

[21:36:58] - Ask before connecting: No
[21:36:58] - User name: Anonymous (Team 0)
[21:36:58] - User ID: B69868D2141E44A
[21:36:58] - Machine ID: 1
[21:36:58]
[21:36:58] Work directory not found. Creating...
[21:36:58] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[21:36:58] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[21:36:58] + Attempting to get work packet
[21:36:58] - Connecting to assignment server
[21:36:58] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.64).
[21:36:58] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[21:36:58] Loaded queue successfully.

Thats where it stops. Client doesn't crash or anything, it just doesn't go any further.

This is a frustrating re-entry into folding :-D

And yes, I've gone into the service and told it to log on as the correct user.

running as a service is a bad thing, IIRC.

"running as a service is a bad thing, IIRC."

I've tried non service as well, still no dice. :'(

one thing I've seen in other posts about the smp is something about a process calls mspic or something of that sort, I don't have that running, is that something that usually only starts after the cores have been initialized or could that be my problem?

Even more frustratingly, I just installed the SMP client on the computer next to it, same OS (vista home premium), dualcore isntead of quad, and it worked perfectly. :(

Did you ever figure this out? I finally installed my copy of Vista (Business) last week or so and haven't been able to get folding running since... I installed it and ran it as admin, and it gets to the same place as you have shown above, and it uses 100% cpu but doesn't do a damned thing. I let it run over night and still never got anywhere even though it was using 100% of my cpu the whole time...

Arg!

Did you ever figure this out? I finally installed my copy of Vista (Business) last week or so and haven't been able to get folding running since... I installed it and ran it as admin, and it gets to the same place as you have shown above, and it uses 100% cpu but doesn't do a damned thing. I let it run over night and still never got anywhere even though it was using 100% of my cpu the whole time...

Arg!

Want to post your log?

Did you turn off UAC (User access control) when you installed?

Did you allow the program to connect through the Vista Firewall?

Want to post your log?

Did you turn off UAC (User access control) when you installed?

Did you allow the program to connect through the Vista Firewall?

I'll try it again when I get home from work, just finally remembered about it and wanted to make a post before I forgot again :D

I did not turn of UAC when I installed, I did run it as admin though and installed it in C:\FAH vs program folder since vista was pissy when I tried to install it there :rolleyes:

I did allow it through the firewall, and it was able to connect and download work, but it just never actually did any folding on the work, just stuck @ 100% usage doing nothing :confused:

I'll try again running it w/o admin mode and see if it does anything, or reinstall with UAC off (need to install Crysis editor anyway) and see how it works.

1) Turn off UAC then reboot right away
2) Use cmd prompt only * run as Admin
3) Run install.bat
4) Run fah.exe -configonly (set as service)
5) Type in services.msc
6) Adjust the logon prop of the folding service to log on as your username (must be the username you installed under)
7) Reboot

I don't care if you had or not done some of them steps. Do it in the order I listed... It should be working after you reboot. Verify this by checking the task manager and you should be seeing four instance of fold_a1.exe or something like that. Keep in mind, until it obtains the wu, there will be no instances of them running. So give them some time to run... After it's all set you may turn back on UAC.

Report back solider.

Hehe thanks for the list :D

and I did have 4 instances of it running before, they just never did anything useful heh =\

Let ya know how it turns out, one question though, what do you mean by #2 with command prompt run * as admin?

you know the command prompt in the start menu, right click it and run as admin from the drop down menu :D

you know the command prompt in the start menu, right click it and run as admin from the drop down menu :D

Ah ok I've done that before :D, just wondering if you meant type that in the command window or something to force everything to run as admin for the session :D

mpiexec needs to be allowed to run. so clear it through firewalls / make it run as the right user.

Back