Halo - The most overrated game ever?

bobsaget said:
A game isn't going to please everyone...

Hell, I played HL1 for 30 minutes and got sick of it...
HL2, well that's another story.. :p

We all have our favorite games.

[/thread]
true

my opinion that this game was so popular for xbox was that console games never had an online experience. actually the first online experience for consoles was XBAND. anyone remember that?/ it was the bomb. i bought it for the genesis, played mortal kombat 1, nhl95, madden 96. then i bought it for my superNES. i played killer instinct mostly. and there wasn't that much of a wait to get a game going, there seems to be people locally where you live that has it on too. but only for certain games.

anyways i digress, most ppl didn't have xband, and eventually the company i believe catapult left. the only other online console was xbox live and ps2 live (?). halo was the first online FPS on consolei think. thats why it was so popular. coinsole ppl never experience online FPS like this. pc games had this for a while though, aka, CS1. also, even before that, we were able to do an online game using a dial up modem to dial another friend's modem.

then i could see some ppl get iritated when a console player friend comes up to him and says oh man, halo is the kickazz i played onnline and i was raping, holy sh1t it was so fun online with other human ppl. the pc gamer would respond, you idiot i've been doing that since (diablo, starcraft, CS1, etc..) on my PC. and we also have MMORPG's like UO, EQ, AC, etc..

Halo 2 wasn't even close to being the first online FPS for the Xbox...

People love the H2 multiplayer for many reasons. That isn't one of them.

Man do PC gamers love to bash Halo or what? Christ cut the Xbox boys some slack. At least it gets them away from Madden 2005 or whatever.

texuspete00 said:
Ok... I agree the PC elitists are getting out of hand, but don't go that far. Your making me sink to their level.... my PC smashes your XBOX into millions of itty-bitty pieces in graphics. XBox2 will fix that... for awhile... I will probably buy one.

I'm mostly PC gamer myself but I do play consoles once in a while if the game allows me to.

Think what you want. While PC has little more detail because it's running at higher resolutions it's nothing to faint over. Try playing your PC game @ 640x480 and than fire up the xbox. See what I mean. The effects are pretty much same. Sure your have nice monitor and it looks good on your puny 17-20inches of screen space and run it at high resolutions. Try spending $5000 on a TV and run it 1080i and than tell me xbox sucks after you play few games on it. Effects are pretty much same. Look @ games like Chronicles of Riddick. Probably one of the games with better graphics for the xbox. It competes with games like Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life. Not to mention other titles that are exclusively for each console. My friend has a nice huge TV and I prefer the graphics on the xbox on high def 40+ " TV over my PC with 19 inch monitor.

Anybody with a nice TV will tell you the same thing.

Take my 21" trinitron at close to max res at 85hz Any day. 1600by1200... Ownage. Too bad my gfx card can't handle any good games at that size with good quality settings on.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
Take my 21" trinitron at close to max res at 85hz Any day. 1600by1200... Ownage. Too bad my gfx card can't handle any good games at that size with good quality settings on.

~Adam

Adam you don't even have a clue. So I'm not even going to respond to your little responses. Try a Fraking Plasma TV with 40 inches of real estate. Run the freaking game in 1080i. Tell me you don't like that. LOL your doomed from the start.

while I have an XBOX and do like and support their cause your arguement is no better than the other...that same 40 inch plasma with an xbox hooked up would look 100x's better with a PC hooked up to it.

I have both...and I feel qualified to talk about this because I run a 110" HDTV Panasonic Projector Home Theatre system in my basement. Yes HD Xbox looks good....some of the games on 720p espically, but a computer running far cry, doom3, or half-life 2 looks much much much better. The hardware in the xbox is quite impressive given it's age, and the games look nice, but a dvi out on Geforce FX card to the DVI in on my projector running a native 1280x720 widescreen HDTV res. It's just flat out beautiful. Far Cry could almost be considered real life, and with my screensize the people are nearly real life size. Yes PC has the upper hand in graphics even in nice TV settings, but graphics aren't everything and there are other areas where the xbox prevails. When the Xbox was new it was better, but now, 2 or 3 years later, obviously PC is better, since the xbox is basically a old PC, right down to the video card, processor and RAM.

Big screen does make everything seem more fun though. I play games on my xbox that I have on my PC simply because I like the big screen and the 5.1 sound of Xbox, but when I decide to bring my computer downstairs and run those same games on the PC instead of the XBox on the big screen...It'll make a grown man cry. Textures are so much clearer, less jaggies, and just overall much cleaner picture through PC.

Bobsaysthis said:
Wonderfully written, and I would have to agree 100%

No it wasn't. It needed far more paragraphs to make it easily readable. It may have made the points well, but it was not well written.

CleanSlate said:
Does HDTV all for more than 30fps? Aww maybe or maybe not... too bad if it does, Halo probably limits the framerate to ~30fps on the xbox ("vsync" for tv's, assumed, no doubt).

~Adam

It does. A HDTV supports 740x480@60p, or 1920x1080@60i. Nicer TVs can do 1280x720@60p.

As for framerates, I've never had an issue with a rock-solid 30, which Halo 2 and Project Gotham 2 both hold up, even when supporting many players (with VoIP) on the same Xbox and over Live.

When your friends come over (you have friends, right?) how many of them can play on your PC at the same time?

When your friends come over (you have friends, right?) how many of them can play on your PC at the same time?

Up to seven.

One can press the "A" key.
One can press the "S" key.
One can press the "D" key.
One can press the "W" key.
One can hold the mouse.
One can press the primary fire.
One can press the alternate fire.

Best.Gameplay.Ever. Of course, it will look like a cyber-tech geek orgy, but who cares?

WickedAngel said:
Halo 2 wasn't even close to being the first online FPS for the Xbox...

People love the H2 multiplayer for many reasons. That isn't one of them.

Yeah, he's confused. He thinks Halo1 had online. Maybe if he changed it to lan, it would have made sense.

Marvelous said:
I'm mostly PC gamer myself but I do play consoles once in a while if the game allows me to.

Think what you want. While PC has little more detail because it's running at higher resolutions it's nothing to faint over. Try playing your PC game @ 640x480 and than fire up the xbox. See what I mean. The effects are pretty much same. Sure your have nice monitor and it looks good on your puny 17-20inches of screen space and run it at high resolutions. Try spending $5000 on a TV and run it 1080i and than tell me xbox sucks after you play few games on it. Effects are pretty much same. Look @ games like Chronicles of Riddick. Probably one of the games with better graphics for the xbox. It competes with games like Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life. Not to mention other titles that are exclusively for each console. My friend has a nice huge TV and I prefer the graphics on the xbox on high def 40+ " TV over my PC with 19 inch monitor.

Anybody with a nice TV will tell you the same thing.

Yeah you're right. You're XBOX does graphics like my 6800GT does. :eek: You may PREFER large TV's, but I guess when Doom3 comes out for XBOX, you can restake your claim. It is not just in resolution of the screen, which shouldnt be disregarded so easily (if moving to HDTV substantially increased the res of Halo maybe you'd have a point), but resolution in the textures. Play NFSU or the Unreal games on both, then say the same things with a straight face without making excuses for the xbox. Even with effects like you state. Motion blur on Xbox's NFSU would have to be a blurring of the screen rather than per-pixel calculations. Ask a bunch of people who have no idea what resolution is simply "Which of these setups has better graphics?" By the way, Halo runs at 30 fps at 640*480 on xbox. Moving to a larger better set is still helped by characteristics of TV's. Moving to a larger set does not make the game high resolution nor find unharnessed power left in the xbox. I can't argue more on this. You're just not being reasonable. I'm not trying to pick on xbox, you're claims are nuts and relegate gaming PC's into expensive, loud, wastes of space when a $150 xbox gives a difference that is nothing to write home about. Yeah right. All I can see is that you like big screens. The PC also does more advanced effects so I don't know when a PC can ever be defined as having better graphics for you but most people do not look at the question that way.

I have a suspicion you think moving to HDTV makes Halo hi-res. No. The xbox would choke, it can't do it. This is my point.. power and effects. Not screen preference.

Luthorcrow said:
Man do PC gamers love to bash Halo or what? Christ cut the Xbox boys some slack. At least it gets them away from Madden 2005 or whatever.

jeez :rolleyes: that's filled with all sorts of stereotypes and prejudice.
1) I'm a pc gamer tried and true, been one since 8088's.
2) I got halo for PC and as I said earlier in the thread I love it very much!
3) 'boys'? jeez. not everyone playing games is a boy :rolleyes: look at me for instance.
4) sports games SUCK plain and simple. :p

Kevin Lowe said:

LOL@ Friends.....that's the console rebuttal....friends? Im an adult who plays pc games in my spare time. Why would I need freinds to play my video games?

I wonder if some of you feel "peer pressured" to play console games as well lol.

Attending a strip club, sporting event, fancy resturant, or bar calls upon the need for friends....not gaming.....

I really dont have much time for "friends".

There is nothing like joining an internet multiplayer game and using using team work with complete strangers.

Well, this thread started out about Halo. All the PC fan boys who seem to have been sworn to bad mouth consoles and their games said they hated Halo (I will go as far as saying probably at least a few never even played it). I figured it was just an issue of my PC is better than your Xbox. Now the last few pages prove that it is just a bunch of angry PC owners who badmouth Xbox just because their precious PC is better.

Staples said:
Well, this thread started out about Halo. All the PC fan boys who seem to have been sworn to bad mouth consoles and their games said they hated Halo (I will go as far as saying probably at least a few never even played it). I figured it was just an issue of my PC is better than your Xbox. Now the last few pages prove that it is just a bunch of angry PC owners who badmouth Xbox just because their precious PC is better.
LadyJaqie said:
jeez :rolleyes: that's filled with all sorts of stereotypes and prejudice.
1) I'm a pc gamer tried and true, been one since 8088's.
2) I got halo for PC and as I said earlier in the thread I love it very much!
3) 'boys'? jeez. not everyone playing games is a boy :rolleyes: look at me for instance.
4) sports games SUCK plain and simple. :p
IT IS??
rolleyes.gif

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Well I'm just overwhelmed with joy that you, instead of crapping in our Halo 2 threads, decided to form your own thread where you can all gather.

Unfortunately, I suspect that there will still be plenty of crap leaking. :rolleyes:

:On topic. IMO it's too late for anyone to really enjoy Halo who hasn't played it before. It was too late to enjoy anytime after it was first released (on xbox). IMO it was pretty impressive in most respects in comparison to even PC games. However now, it's not that great. Especially when everyone is comparing it to Unreal Tourny 2k3/4, Half Life 2, Far Cry, all sorts of crap like that. I mean it's not like it was released in 2000//2001.

Ah well, you don't like it, I did. Who really cares?

The Crap is still leaking :rolleyes:

[QUOTE}
Munhihausen ~

"But why compare them when the comparison is way off topic?

Realistically, your "FPS standards" cant be too high since you are defending games that would be mediocre on a pc.

Plus, since it's obvious that the majority of the gamers on this board dislike Doom 3, why wouldnt you choose Half Life 2 in your comparison against Halo 2 instead? That would have been more logical."
[/QUOTE]

XBOX games that would be mediocre on a pc based on graphical standards? Haven't we already gone over this. GRAPHICS DONT MAKE THE GAME. Gameplay, however, does. If Bungie put Halo2 on the PC and used a decent port; Halo2 would be just as popular on the PC as it was the XBOX.

Uhhh.. the reason why I used D3 for comparison is because you yourself said you hadn't purchased HL2.... soo if I was to make comparison using HL2, it would've been a mute point.

How would the gameplay vary if Halo2 was ported on the PC???

All things considered I think this is the only way you can look at it.

A PC is graphically superior. For a price gap of at least $450 you are getting some of the best graphics and screenshots that can be offered anywhere. Based on Munhihausen's earlier statement you get a DVD/Video - Editor/Creator to go along with it.

The Xbox may not get the same frames per second or resolution size and quality that a pc can offer; but hell, it looks good.

From a game standpoint; IMO the XBOX games tend to be more gameplay inclined, less time and effort is spent on graphics as is on PC versions of a game. Halo2 has a great story behind it along with fantastic gameplay, and above average graphics. HL2 has some of the best graphics available on a game today, along with great gameplay but a very weak storyline. D3 is a game that may have slacked a great deal in the gameplay and storyline department.

Games that are ported from the PC to the XBOX generally suck and don't do well at all. The same goes for games ported from the XBOX to the PC. Games are designed to be played on consoles, and others are designed to be played on the PC. A mix of the two rarely works out.

It's hard to say that the PC Gamer is "more hardcore"; the same goes for the XBOX Gamer. It's a difference in opinion, and a difference in taste. If you salivate at eye candy, then your more than likely a PC user. If you like to say " Woah..........sweet...." or "that was awesome" then I guess your an XBOX user.

Adam.

dgb said:
No it wasn't. It needed far more paragraphs to make it easily readable. It may have made the points well, but it was not well written.

I was unaware we had an english professor in the house. He made the point that the game was FUN, thats why he plays it, and for him its been even more fun than alot of pc games, which I would agree with.

i think that halo was a good game and halo 2 is an awesome game.

the mulitplayer in halo 1 is better to me, but the single player in halo 2 is sick

Halo is fun. Halo 2 is more fun. Cept Halo's SP was better than Halo 2's. But most ppl bought it cuz of Xbox Live so it don't really matter. To me, a game like Half Life 2 is overrated. To give it such a high score when all it had for replay value was CS with revamped graphics is bullshit. I'm not gonna sit and play single player constantly. I want something new. If i wanna play CS then I'll play the original. Then they come out with the DM after launch with TWO maps. Wtf? Wow....just wow. Great support for your game Valve...gotta give ya props for that.

EDIT: Lets put it this way...

PC = All ages of gamers.
Xbox = More Mature-rated titles than the other consoles.
PS2 = Mix of T and M games.
GC = Majority of T and E games with a few M.

And yes...the PC will ALWAYS be graphically superior, but you know what...sometimes the original Pong has better gameplay than some of the 3D crap that comes out. It really doesn't matter graphics wise. Yeah its nice to look at. But games are about gameplay. I am a PC gamer that decided to get an Xbox. It's amazing how easy it is to get online and play. Everything is so streamlined. You don't have to worry about viruses fuckin up shit in your comp and spyware and defraging the hard drive and all the other maintenance shit we do. You just put the disc in, sign into XBL and play. Thats the beauty of it. KISS = Keep it simple, stupid.

Some people need to realize that graphical quality /= gameplay.
In my opinion, two of the best games as far as gameplay goes were Wing Commander: Privateer and XCOM. The graphics blow now days, but I played XCOM a year or so ago, and it was still fun.
That being said, I don't see why people defend consoles or pcs so vehemently vs. the other. You can buy both, its not an exclusive membership club. Each has positives and negatives. Sheesh.

adam7488 said:
XBOX games that would be mediocre on a pc based on graphical standards? Haven't we already gone over this. GRAPHICS DONT MAKE THE GAME. Gameplay, however, does. If Bungie put Halo2 on the PC and used a decent port; Halo2 would be just as popular on the PC as it was the XBOX.

No, I seriously doubt that it would as popular on the pc. You are being a tad bit presumptuous with that statement. The X-box lives, dies, eats, shits, and sleeps, by the Halo series. The pc does not possess a single game that defines it's existence since literally every game that is released is expected to push the envelope of the pc. lol Microsoft should change the X-box's name to "Chief-Box" , "X-Chief", or "Halo-Box".

Uhhh.. the reason why I used D3 for comparison is because you yourself said you hadn't purchased HL2.... soo if I was to make comparison using HL2, it would've been a mute point.

But.........I havent played Halo 2 either, so should I just take your word for it? You have played both Doom 3 and Halo 2. I have only played Doom 3. In scientific/experimental terms isnt that imbalance too inaccuarate to develop a valid conclusion?

How would the gameplay vary if Halo2 was ported on the PC???

The gameplay wouldnt "vary". Halo's gameplay would parallel every other "ho hum" FPS shooter that is available on the pc. You are forgettting that there is this aspect called competition on the PC that pertains to FPS (to the point of oversaturation). FPS games on the X-box are lacking in both number and quality. Like I said earlier. I sincerely doubt that Halo 2 could fuck with UT2004 or several other prominent pc multiplayer games. We will never know, though.

Why do you even keep bringing up UT2004? It is a completely different style of FPS. Not all FPS games are of the twitch-shooter variety that UT is so famous for.

WickedAngel said:
Why do you even keep bringing up UT2004? It is a completely different style of FPS.
Not all FPS games are of the twitch-shooter variety that UT is so famous for.

I keep bring it up because it's a damn good game that has a sci fi theme which makes it comparable to other sci fi shooters such as Halo, Tribes, and ect ect. Im not going to compare it to any mp game with realistic weapons.

CleanSlate said:
Does HDTV all for more than 30fps? Aww maybe or maybe not... too bad if it does, Halo probably limits the framerate to ~30fps on the xbox ("vsync" for tv's, assumed, no doubt).

Besides I wasn't talking about TV vs computer screens, I was talking about resolution, which is universal. at 1024by768 with 2x/2x @ high quality everything, my quality is 5x that of an xbox with your measely 640by480. yes it's still 640by480, that's all the xbox does, or did you not know that? :rolleyes:

~Adam

As far as I know the main reason you can't compare tv's 30fps to a monitor's 30fps is the way they refresh the images. CRT's do it line by line. As far as I know TV's (like my projection 65" hd) do it more like movie theatres. whole frame at a time.

Gives a completely different feel for 30fps.

XBOX does plenty more than 640 by 480 my friend. 1080i is not 640x480 ;) And my xbox supports it.

You might think UT2004 is a damn good game; I thought it was derivative garbage and a rehash of a franchise that I never liked in the first place. No story, unbalanced weapons, and incessant/idiotic call-out phrases that would only seem cool to a twelve year-old kid. You could argue that the majority likes it, but then again, I could bring up the same thing about Halo 2...

WickedAngel said:
You might think UT2004 is a damn good game; I thought it was derivative garbage and a rehash of a franchise that I never liked in the first place. No story, unbalanced weapons, and incessant/idiotic call-out phrases that would only seem cool to a twelve year-old kid. You could argue that the majority likes it, but then again, I could bring up the same thing about Halo 2...

Well.......

(shrugs shoulders)

If you feel that it's that bad, then you probably shouldnt play it.

:D

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
As far as I know the main reason you can't compare tv's 30fps to a monitor's 30fps is the way they refresh the images. CRT's do it line by line. As far as I know TV's (like my projection 65" hd) do it more like movie theatres. whole frame at a time.

Gives a completely different feel for 30fps.

XBOX does plenty more than 640 by 480 my friend. 1080i is not 640x480 ;) And my xbox supports it.

the reason you can compare both 30's is cause it's only 30 fps and if halo wasn't stuck on the xbox then halo wouldn't be "best seen at 30fps". I like to have my 85fps, if anything but for eye comfort and longevity.

~Adam

Munhihausen said:
LOL@ Friends.....that's the console rebuttal....friends? Im an adult who plays pc games in my spare time. Why would I need freinds to play my video games?

I wonder if some of you feel "peer pressured" to play console games as well lol.

Attending a strip club, sporting event, fancy resturant, or bar calls upon the need for friends....not gaming.....

I really dont have much time for "friends".

There is nothing like joining an internet multiplayer game and using using team work with complete strangers.

I get a kick out of this....Earth to Munhihausen, are you there? Can you hear us normal folk here? Why would you do anything with friends? Because friends are more important than video games, and I'd take my friends over my xbox or PC anytime. It's more fun to do things you enjoy in the company of people you enjoy. You really don't have much time for friends? Must be a lonely existance. I'm glad I make LOTS of time for my friends, because in the end the friendships are what keep you happy. There is nothing like doing teamwork with complete strangers? Wow, um, how about having a team with your best friends, all on the same team, against more of your friends on their own team...I'm pretty sure, actually 100% positive the friends make it more fun. I've tried both, and never had more fun with total strangers than my best buds.

Iv been trying to convince my friends how crappy Halo / Halo 2 is after playing something like Doom 3 half Life/ Half Life 2 CS Source i thnik i have finally broken though.

texuspete00 said:
Yeah you're right. You're XBOX does graphics like my 6800GT does. :eek: You may PREFER large TV's, but I guess when Doom3 comes out for XBOX, you can restake your claim. It is not just in resolution of the screen, which shouldnt be disregarded so easily (if moving to HDTV substantially increased the res of Halo maybe you'd have a point), but resolution in the textures. Play NFSU or the Unreal games on both, then say the same things with a straight face without making excuses for the xbox. Even with effects like you state. Motion blur on Xbox's NFSU would have to be a blurring of the screen rather than per-pixel calculations. Ask a bunch of people who have no idea what resolution is simply "Which of these setups has better graphics?" By the way, Halo runs at 30 fps at 640*480 on xbox. Moving to a larger better set is still helped by characteristics of TV's. Moving to a larger set does not make the game high resolution nor find unharnessed power left in the xbox. I can't argue more on this. You're just not being reasonable. I'm not trying to pick on xbox, you're claims are nuts and relegate gaming PC's into expensive, loud, wastes of space when a $150 xbox gives a difference that is nothing to write home about. Yeah right. All I can see is that you like big screens. The PC also does more advanced effects so I don't know when a PC can ever be defined as having better graphics for you but most people do not look at the question that way.

I have a suspicion you think moving to HDTV makes Halo hi-res. No. The xbox would choke, it can't do it. This is my point.. power and effects. Not screen preference.

All I'm saying is xbox does almost anything PC games do. XBOX might run in lower resolutions but the graphics are fully utilized to take advantage of every single feature the xbox has. XBOX does Progressive modes. Most all their games are run in 480P or higher so yes it clears up the picture nicely if you have a nice TV. PC might have more advanced graphics but it doesn't even get fully utilized until 2 years down the road. Which is why I never buy any bleeding edge graphics card. What can you do possibly with your Geforce 6800 or Radeon x800 than a radeon 9700pro? Some little features here and there that you run demos with? LOL there's your advanced graphics that you paid $400 for. So you think running in higher resolutions gives you so much better graphics? Sure to a point.... But doesn't justify XBOX that costs $150 looks almost as good or sometimes better on a high resolution TV.

Personally I don't like too many console games but I'm not going to sit here and bash on console like most of these guys who has no clue and don't even own a console.

CleanSlate said:
the reason you can compare both 30's is cause it's only 30 fps and if halo wasn't stuck on the xbox then halo wouldn't be "best seen at 30fps". I like to have my 85fps, if anything but for eye comfort and longevity.

~Adam

LOL give it a break Adam... You've done quite enough....

Archaea said:
I get a kick out of this....Earth to Munhihausen, are you there? Can you hear us normal folk here? Why would you do anything with friends? Because friends are more important than video games, and I'd take my friends over my xbox or PC anytime. It's more fun to do things you enjoy in the company of people you enjoy. You really don't have much time for friends? Must be a lonely existance. I'm glad I make LOTS of time for my friends, because in the end the friendships are what keep you happy. There is nothing like doing teamwork with complete strangers? Wow, um, how about having a team with your best friends, all on the same team, against more of your friends on their own team...I'm pretty sure, actually 100% positive the friends make it more fun. I've tried both, and never had more fun with total strangers than my best buds.

ROTFLMAO

Man, you sound like a PBS special that is directed towards elementary students. I have to work and attend school, and my "friends" are miles away (the guys who were my comrades during my collegiate years). Some of you guys are still in high school, undergrad, or grad school, so I can empathize with your perspective towards gaming with your buddies. I may do activities with my friends every couple of months when our schedules dont conflict, but I dont stress if we are unable to "hang out" with each other.

I game alone. If I travel to another city for an important event, then my freinds may get a call. Gaming is a casual personal hobby.

Yeah, id say Halo and Halo2 are way overrated. I've got both of them, so im not talking out of inexperience.

After 8 or so years of LAN gaming, FPS' on consoles just don't do it for me. Halo/2 graphics aren't that great, and I've played other games for Xbox/GC (Riddick/Metroid) that had better gameplay and smoothness of play than the Halo series.

I guess it just seems like theres a less-tactical aspect of Halo that leans more towards the "spam the hall with plasma and hope I get lucky" approach, so playing online is less tense than a good round of Q3/CS with players that arent all 13yrs old.

I got Halo2 on the day it came out, never really fell for the hype, and find myself playing it less and less everyweek. I beat it after 2 days, I'd give it a 5/10 rating.

Munhihausen said:

You're assuming I'm not an adult, but you don't know anything about me. Don't assume; it makes for poor arguments.

Anyway, why wouldn't I want to play against my friends, given the option?

Back