Halo PC - few questions

criccio

Fully Equipped
So I dug out my old Halo: Combat Evolved to give it another run through.

I guess I have a few questions. The first being where is the most comprehensive forum for Halo for the PC?

Is there any support or way to hack the game use my native res? (1680x1050) It seems to only go up to 1600x900 in game.

When I go outside in the 3rd level, everything gets REALLY jerkey, its very hard to play like that. I have tried with VSYNC off, VSYNC on, and VSYNC locked at 30fps, no change. My rig is MORE then enough for this game, what gives?

Thanks.

most comprehensive forum for Halo for the PC? what :confused:

with that game you´ll get the jerkiness no matter what card you are using
it´s a crappy PC port

This might help for the widescreen problem: Link removed See below
Can't say what might help for the latter issue. Video card driver updates? Patches for the game? Even my last PC (Athlon 64 X2 4200, 7800 GTX, 2GB Ram) had a hard time running it. Typical console ports :rolleyes:.

Edit: This is a long shot, but have you tried running the game with a single processor affinity?

Edit II: Removed the link because it has issues with the latest patch. 5th post below the OP from this link discusses custom resolutions for the WS issue: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14241

Thanks GushpinBob. I guess its just the game, I have the 182.08 drivers which are very new, and the game is patched all the way to 1.08, which AFAIK is the newest patch.

And leSLIe, I was looking for a forum that is dedicated to this game... fairly common thing. IIRC, the Halo: Custom Edition had a fairly large following back in the day.

Thanks GushpinBob. I guess its just the game, I have the 182.08 drivers which are very new, and the game is patched all the way to 1.08, which AFAIK is the newest patch.

And leSLIe, I was looking for a forum that is dedicated to this game... fairly common thing. IIRC, the Halo: Custom Edition had a fairly large following back in the day.

It did. The MP online is very fun and, in fact, I'm considering reinstalling it myself.

It's still played more than Battlefield 2142, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis multiplayer.

It's still pretty damn popular considering this game was released before all of these successful titles, all the way back in 2003.

yea but those games are crap. its like comparing a pile of horseshit to a bar of gold.

The game is shit uninstall and put somthing better on your hard drive. Or sell your comp, buy a shit console and all your problems are solved.

The game is shit uninstall and put somthing better on your hard drive. Or sell your comp, buy a shit console and all your problems are solved.

Thanks for you're opinion. :rolleyes: I'm having alot of fun with it actually.

yea but those games are crap. its like comparing a pile of horseshit to a bar of gold.

UT is far from crap. I will admit that BF2142/Crysis Wars aren't the greatest but they certainly aren't crap.

You are the reason why I hate pc gamers, and you probably blow at most games you play. I don't know about any of you but I play games because I love games and I build pc's because I like them and it just so happens it can play games too. You should really just drop the console/pc thing and game for the fun of it.

To the OP:

Halo:CE was pretty fun and I do enjoy it but from what I remember the game ran so poorly no matter what. I re-installed it on my laptop after I got it and it still ran like crap but it was still enjoyable for me. :D Best of luck and have fun.

So I dug out my old Halo: Combat Evolved to give it another run through.

I guess I have a few questions. The first being where is the most comprehensive forum for Halo for the PC?

Is there any support or way to hack the game use my native res? (1680x1050) It seems to only go up to 1600x900 in game.

When I go outside in the 3rd level, everything gets REALLY jerkey, its very hard to play like that. I have tried with VSYNC off, VSYNC on, and VSYNC locked at 30fps, no change. My rig is MORE then enough for this game, what gives?

Thanks.

This game had major performance issues when it launched for the PC. I seem to recall they either patched it or there were driver updates for it.

What is the amazing is that the game does not seem to be that graphically intense.

See
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Halo

I don't know what it was, but I found Halo annoying. One thing that really irked me was that on almost every area, you would fight a long way down many corridors and bridges and rooms... and when you reached your goal, you would have to fight all the way back out through all the rooms you had just been in!

I'm willing to bet every person in this thread bashing Halo has never played it for themselves on any platform, especially on the PC. If you haven't, honestly, if you're an FPS fan the multiplayer on the PC (key phrase) really is loads of fun.

Couldn't agree more, the multiplayer (especially the Custom Edition) is fun as hell.

I'm willing to bet every person in this thread bashing Halo has never played it for themselves on any platform, especially on the PC. If you haven't, honestly, if you're an FPS fan the multiplayer on the PC (key phrase) really is loads of fun.

I disagree. Sure, Halo multiplayer is really good if the teams have competent people, but the problem is that there's no repercussion for teamkilling. Without fail, every Halo match I played would just turn into someone from the other team switching sides and tk-ing for the whole match. Fun, I love tk-fest games!

Halo multiplayer is only fun if you're on a lan (or an xbox) with friends who you know.

I'll agree with that aswell, some of the best Halo MP experiences was back in the day when my friends and I discovered System Link.

I disagree. Sure, Halo multiplayer is really good if the teams have competent people, but the problem is that there's no repercussion for teamkilling. Without fail, every Halo match I played would just turn into someone from the other team switching sides and tk-ing for the whole match. Fun, I love tk-fest games!

Ok, that's true but it's also true for playing games online in general when you get down to it.

It's been a while, but can't you toggle TK off and on anyways, if you're hosting a server?

Halo multiplayer is only fun if you're on a lan (or an xbox) with friends who you know.

That was fun for me, too, but past that I guess I've been lucky in the past playing the game online on the PC.

Online gaming is always better with competent players and/or people you know. That pretty much goes without saying.

I honestly didn't know anybody really bought this game or that it had any sort of community. I remember my brother playing Halo on his Xbox and thinking how basic it was.

/shrug

I fell in love with the Halo commercials way back when it came out. It's the whole reason I wanted and bought and an XBOX. I thought it was really good when I started playing it, but after a while it just got too repetitive for me...small aliens, shoot 'em...big aliens, shoot 'em...move to next level. I guess most games are like this, but seeing the same thing over and over just got to me. I've never even finished playing it. Tried playing it online, but as usual, the online idiots were too much for me to take. People flying over and shooting me on the ground every time I respawn. I hate vehicles in multiplayer games. If I wanted to fly a spaceship I'd play Rogue Squadron or something.

I honestly didn't know anybody really bought this game or that it had any sort of community. I remember my brother playing Halo on his Xbox and thinking how basic it was.

/shrug

It certainly is vs. any number of PC shooters I can name but again, under the right scenarios, it can be fun as hell nonetheless.

Back