Halo 5 Forge Free On Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you interested, Halo 5 Forge is now available for free on Windows 10. There is a small catch, you can't just be running any ol' version of Windows, Microsoft requires running the Anniversary Edition update to install Halo 5 Forge.

Does that count Enterprise 10's out? Haven't paid attention whether or not these get the AU.

DirectX 12 minimum, eh? Well, first you suck people in with the free OS then you start offering up free items that only work on the free OS so I suppose for Microsoft they've found their path to truly shoving Windows 10 as far as they can.

I thought this was out already? When I go to the store it says it's not available, tried it on two machines and I know they are running anniversary or at least they have virtual desktops.

I thought this was out already? When I go to the store it says it's not available, tried it on two machines and I know they are running anniversary or at least they have virtual desktops.

Yep, it comes up as unavailable for me as well. However, I have not played much in the online multiplayer in years so, I guess I should get ready to get owned. :D

DirectX 12 minimum, eh? Well, first you suck people in with the free OS then you start offering up free items that only work on the free OS so I suppose for Microsoft they've found their path to truly shoving Windows 10 as far as they can.

Oh noes, MS released a game that was made for DX12. Let's all cry because Win7/8/8.1 doesn't have DX12. Gimme a break. If you don't want it, then don't get it. Simple as that.

The same type of complaints were heard when Windows 7 was released.

Oh noes, MS released a game that was made for DX12. Let's all cry because Win7/8/8.1 doesn't have DX12. Gimme a break. If you don't want it, then don't get it. Simple as that.

The same type of complaints were heard when Windows 7 was released.
And Vista. DirectX updates were not tied to the OS until Vista came out.

You need to select the Halo 5 Forge bundle, then you will be able to retrieve it.

Where are all the Windows 7 users who asked what Windows 10 could run that Windows 7 could not? :censored:

Guys flipping out about Windows 10 and Anniversary are on about the wrong thing here.

What's up with the lack of any centralized matchmaking? Every lobby has to be created by the users that know each other's gamer tags.....that's the bigger bummer.

Where are all the Windows 7 users who asked what Windows 10 could run that Windows 7 could not? :censored:

Careful, strawman, you might burn yourself.

There's no reason at all that DX12 and this game couldn't run on Windows 7 other than MS trying another method to force adoption of the new OS.

There's no reason at all that DX12 and this game couldn't run on Windows 7 other than MS trying another method to force adoption of the new OS.
Might want to check the fit on that tin foil hat. It was a legit question. Quite a few of us are sick of the Windows 7 users pulling the "There is nothing that Windows 7 can't run that Windows 10 can." -- Keep on using your Windows 7 and let us Windows 10 users enjoy it. (y)

EDIT: As for Enterprise, it's got the AU so I don't see any reason for it not to work.

Guys flipping out about Windows 10 and Anniversary are on about the wrong thing here.

What's up with the lack of any centralized matchmaking? Every lobby has to be created by the users that know each other's gamer tags.....that's the bigger bummer.

That's the least of its problems. For starters it's not even a real Halo game.

Might want to check the fit on that tin foil hat. It was a legit question. Quite a few of us are sick of the Windows 7 users pulling the "There is nothing that Windows 7 can't run that Windows 10 can." -- Keep on using your Windows 7 and let us Windows 10 users enjoy it. (y)

Well, either I fed the troll or you are just amazingly naive. There's nothing remotely tinfoil happening, it's a plainly obvious business tactic, and has been obvious since the first attempt to "persuade" users into Vista with Direct X 10 a decade ago. Also, I suppose you pointedly ignored all the invasive Win 10 upgrade shenanigans taking place over the last year?

Just for extra fun, you also are under the incorrect impression that I don't use Win 10 when I have two physical machines running it along with a smattering of VMs so you can take that particular strawman out back and dump it in your bonfire pit.

Not able to dowmload it i click the FREE Download it doesnt do anything yes i have the Anniversy update for 10

i didnt get to play it more then a min, sucks it cant seem to match my monitor's resolution 3440x1440
ill mess with it later when im not technically suppose to be working :cool:

Well, it looks like my license source hasn't put up the AU yet, Enterprise users has to get the upgrade from another means.

Oh, I am just looking at official installation iso media sources. Are you running Long Term Service Branch or Current Branch? What version does your Windows show via about screen (winver) or command prompt (ver)? Build 10.0.14393, version 1607 or later and you have already updated.

Free OS upgrade, check.
Mess up Windows update on older versions, check.
Start offering free games that only work on new OS, check.

There's no technical reason, but we lost that race when AMD dealt Mantle be away under disguise of DX12. I suppose they were forced to as it was the only road then to major adoption, shrugs. And as you later surmised it was an obvious bizness move to force and lockdown on Win10. Thank goodness AMD also shared the wealth with Vulkan. That in itself seems like a nice middle finger gesture to MS, lol.

Microsoft; the king of reallocating beta test and quality assurance of operating system and software directly to the customer base and making them love it! Your data, your bandwidth, your resources, your time. Resistance is futile, all your base, cake is a lie etc etc…

Oh, I am just looking at official installation iso media sources. Are you running Long Term Service Branch or Current Branch? What version does your Windows show via about screen (winver) or command prompt (ver)? Build 10.0.14393, version 1607 or later and you have already updated.

Pretty sure current branch (it had edge and cortana), and my ver is 10.0.10240

Bullshit.

Pretty sure I remember the XP diehards complaining about changes in Vista (no DX 10 for XP) and 7.

MS are money grabbing jerks because they won't put DX 10 on XP!

MS are money grabbing jerks because they won't put DX 11 on XP!

I'll NEVER move to Vista!

I'll NEVER move to 7!

Now it is the same thing all over again.

Happens with pretty much every new MS OS release, except the people that were saying they would never move to Vista or 7 are now saying they will never move to 10.

DX12 is MS's way of forcing us to upgrade. Well, I am not going to do it! Why can't they just give use DX12 on 7/8/8.1?

The interface is changed! I won't move to 10 unless they put it back the same exact way it was since XP was released!

Might want to check the fit on that tin foil hat. It was a legit question. Quite a few of us are sick of the Windows 7 users pulling the "There is nothing that Windows 7 can't run that Windows 10 can.

Who? We've all known about DX12 being locked to Windows 10 forever now. Why is Microsoft's release of an exclusive free game for their own platform an interesting development? Halo isn't even that popular among PC gamers since Microsoft made the series Xbox exclusive years ago from Halo 3 onward. It's not really 'free' either, since Windows 10 has ads and data mining.

I don't want free exclusive games. I want them to fix Windows Update. It's still broken for 7 users.

Last edited:
Who? We've all known about DX12 being locked to Windows 10. Why does Microsoft releasing an exclusive game for their own platform change the situation? Halo isn't even that popular among PC gamers since Microsoft made the series Xbox exclusive from Halo 3 onward.

I don't want free exclusive games. I want them to fix Windows Update. It's still broken for 7 users.

I think in Microsoft's mind the "fix" was "here's Windows 10 for free and you better take it because we're killing support for Windows 7 in short order."

For something that was supposed to show they're committed to PC gaming Halo 5 Forge is severely lacking. No matchmaking, no bots, no way to play except "custom game" to which you can only invite your XBox Live friends (presuming they're playing at that moment). It's almost like they did the least amount of work possible to go "yeah we got Halo back on the PC. Look!"

Reactions: blkt
like this
I'm seriously confused (did some investigation)
I'm now not confused.

I thought windows 10 A) always kept it's self fairly up to date and that the Redstone release was the one that brought us virtual desktops. Redstone / Anniversary edition is version 1607, according to wikipedia, and I'm only on the November update of 1511, not only that but neither of my machines seem to tell me there is an update I can get. So that's why I cannot find it in the store.

You can still run winver to see the version number but the build numbers are not matching what I've been seeing online. From all the talk of horrors about webcams (I'm not saying it isn't justified) and other issues with Redstone I thought it was pushed to just about everywhere. No, it's a staged rollout but you can force it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Major updates basically involve installing the OS again. What a joke.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate of windows 10 but I do want to say this. You're partially correct but the process is more of an "in place upgrade" which is something that has been around for a while. It can be a bit of a hassle and I've got two small issues with drives on my test laptop that's super old but it's less than reinstalling the OS.

I see this as a good thing because it gives the OS a chance to get everything as it should be and it should make it heal any issues caused by other software/virill issues. I've had a few machines that wouldn't update or something couldn't verify because of things just like that and as long as this will take care of it, I'm for it.

Back