Halo 3 at E3!

lesman said:
Let's get on topic guys, this isn't the "who's right-those who like Halo, or those who don't like Halo?" thread.

You might as well lock this thread before someone says something to get themselves banned. :D

Both Halo's were above average shooters, nothing amazing though...some of the level design was downright atrocious.

Halo 1 was fun, but lacking in level design. Halo 2 was simply awesome, for a console shooter. Everything was very polished, and I loved the cinematic storytelling. But it is built around a console, and being fun with a controller. You can't really compare it with HL2 (which most people did), because they really aren't the same type of game, and they don't even try to do the same thing.

I've played HL1/2, everthing with "Unreal" in the title, etc. And I say that the Halo series is great. Console gaming is simply a different style of game - love it, or hate it.

All i can say is a 8 on 8 Blood gulch against your friends is way too much fun, the multiplayer in this game spawned so many creative insults that my vocabulary is endless now. Thanks Halo

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
Halo? Eh. I don't like it. Its too slow paced and to bland for me. I preferred Killzone over it...and just so you know, I greatly dislike Sony.

C'mon, it's one thing to say that you don't like Halo, but to say you actually preferred Killzone to Halo, how the hell is anyone supposed to take you seriously? I think I would prefer some Daedra from the Oblivion gates to claw my balls, than play the pathetic mess that is Killzone. I tried, but I just love myself too much to play that junk.

I really don't get why people bash halo and halo 2. Those games brought so many people into the gaming areana its not even funny. Maybe that doesn't matter to some of you. Yes, more people could have an ill effect, but more people means more money to the industry which hopefully produces better products.

Secondly, halo 2 had everything your looking for in a FPS. There where indoor and outdoor maps, a range of guns, range of bad guys, vehicles, and the music that played during certain parts of the game added so much more depth, soul, everything to the game...

For being a FPS in a world of FPS's, and when it came out, it was awesome. I guess some of you will never be happy with anything you get.

Go live under a rock and stop bashing people who have the opinion that the game was great.

Firewall said:
Go live under a rock and stop bashing people who have the opinion that the game was great.

And on that note, stop bashing people who have the opinion that the game wasn't that great :p

Firewall said:
For being a FPS in a world of FPS's, and when it came out, it was awesome. I guess some of you will never be happy with anything you get.

I was plenty happy with:
Unreal
Half Life (et al)
Unreal Tournament
Unreal 2
BF1942
Half Life 2
Quake 4
BF2
FEAR
and Far Cry

...all much better than either Halo... IN MY OPINION :D

CodeX said:
I was plenty happy with:
Unreal
Half Life (et al)
Unreal Tournament
Unreal 2
BF1942
Half Life 2
Quake 4
BF2
FEAR
and Far Cry

...all much better than either Halo... IN MY OPINION :D

Thats cool, I didn't think quake 4 or BF2 are worth anything, and I didn't play unreal, HL, unreal 2, BF1942.

FEAR and Far Cry are excellent, but not that much better than Halo 2, in my humble opinion. :D

Anyway, Halo 3 is actually almost complete. It's going gold a week after E3. Surprise.

Firewall said:
I really don't get why people bash halo and halo 2. Those games brought so many people into the gaming areana its not even funny. Maybe that doesn't matter to some of you.

That's the problem some people who bash it have with it. That it is popular. That there is a large fan following. People don't like that, rather snobs don't like that. You know you can't be the uber elite gaming gawd, when everyone is playing a certain game, so you just have to snub it because part of the elite mystique is to go against popular culture. You have to have something that is not in a widely accepted niche market. If Halo wasn't as popular as it was, I guarantee that many elitists would like it more. People keep saying that Halo lacks innovation, but look at the FPS games people rave about, how innovative are they? Most are just sequels with the same formula, rinse and repeat. Did I read correctly that people hate a game, not because of the game itself, but because of some of the people playing it?

Gaming just proves that nothing can satisfy everyone equally, and that's fine, but at least have valid complaints and be consistent with your arguements. Don't start complaining about Halo lacking innovation and being repetitive and the same, then talk about how great Quake 4, Unreal or COD is in the same breath. Talk about lacking innovation....lmao. Those series have not changed at all.

CodeX said:
That's not what I said. I dislike the game because it is stale and repetitive, especially the indoor levels, far more so than quake 4 or even doom 3. I HATE the game because it gets so much undeserved respect. It makes me want to force each and every one of the xbox !!!!!!s who think halo is the best thing ever to play the original unreal, half life, or far cry, which in my experience most of them have never even heard of.

I guess I don't so much hate the GAME because of that, I hate the fact that there are so many better PC games, while the PC gets little recognition as a gaming console even to this day (present company aside, this forum does not represent the general public at all)

Well, shit, I like Halo and I hated that library level, it just got repetitive, I agree, but there hasn't been a game that i've played that I did not have gripes about. I mean, alot of people rave about half-life, but I thought the story was convoluted and was dragged out. Far Cry, now the scenery to me, as beautiful as it was, also got repetitive. Unreal to me, well, I loved that game, and I won't ever speak ill of it. That's all I played in college. :D

PC games will never get mainstream recognition because Joe P. Public couldn't be bothered about videocards, increasing RAM, downloading patches and drivers....etc. We might have a passion for it, but we gotta realize and accept the fact that most people don't care for that. It's much easier to buy a console and know that it will always work and you never have to upgrade. I accept that, besides isn't that the point of being [H]ard? Knowing that you know more than the average person and that most people cannot duplicate your passion?

Halo will ALWAYS be recogonized as one the best FPS's of all time, reguardless of what haters say. For every Halo fan, there is some uptight insecure gamer out there spouting useless banter to make himself sleep better at night.

Halo isn't this popular because it sucks fellas... get over it.

Zinn said:
Anyway, Halo 3 is actually almost complete. It's going gold a week after E3. Surprise.
joke? or source? I never played halo 2, but halo was fun enough. I better pick it up for my x360.

theNoid said:
Halo will ALWAYS be recogonized as one the best FPS's of all time, reguardless of what haters say. For every Halo fan, there is some uptight insecure gamer out there spouting useless banter to make himself sleep better at night.

I wouldn't call it one of the best FPS titles of all time. In fact, it barely made a splash when it was released on PC, simply because it was released in an environment where there is many bigger and better FPS titles to be played (the PC market, as you can tell, has been flooded with shooters). You can certainly call it one of the best FPS games ever to grace the XBox, though, and that would be completely accurate. But I'm not much of a fan of console shooters, anyway.

steviep said:
I wouldn't call it one of the best FPS titles of all time. In fact, it barely made a splash when it was released on PC, simply because it was released in an environment where there is many bigger and better FPS titles to be played (the PC market, as you can tell, has been flooded with shooters). You can certainly call it one of the best FPS games ever to grace the XBox, though, and that would be completely accurate. But I'm not much of a fan of console shooters, anyway.

That's fine, you don't have to call it one of the best, there are millions of others that do. And I think theNoid is right that it will be remembered as one of the best, no matter whether you, I, or anyone else thinks differently.

Single player wise, Halo 1 and 2 were just alright for me. I do think they were inovative with the vehicle use though, one of the first to get it right in an FPS.

Were I think Halo shines is in multiplayer. I play it almost every weekend with 3-4 of my friends. We all jump on Xbox Live and play together, it's a blast. I think it's one of the most fun games to play with my friends. I'm a PC gamer at heart, and even though I don't think Halo has much to offer over many of the great FPS PC games, it's still a blast to play with others.

I'm sure part of the reason Halo hasn't done well on the PC is that it came out on Xbox first. If it wasn't an Xbox game, I think it would have done much better in the PC space. Same thing goes for other games that are on both platforms. Half-life for Xbox didn't do too hot, does that mean it sucked? No, it's simply because the majority of people played it on the PC, why would you buy it again just to play on a console?

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that COD2 is selling better for the 360 than the PC, does that mean the game sucks?

CodeX said:
I HATE the game because it gets so much undeserved respect.
.... That's your opinion, i think the halo's have earned there respect .....
CodeX said:
It makes me want to force each and every one of the xbox !!!!!!s who think halo is the best thing ever to play the original unreal, half life, or far cry, which in my experience most of them have never even heard of.

I've played almost all the unreals, Half life, Half life 2 and i have played some Far cry.

But guess what, I love Halo 2 the most. :) Though starcraft is up there too. ;)
CodeX said:
(present company aside, this forum does not represent the general public at all)
You don't know how many people Love halo2, do you?

I think I might be willing to give Halo 3 a shot and rent it. I wasn't impressed by the former Halos (awful single player and the multiplayer just wasn't my thing), but I can see MS really trying to push the evelope to attract more gamers to its system and away from the PS3.

Firebat said:
You don't know how many people Love halo2, do you?
I dont think he does, seeing as the general public love halo2 and never bitched about it living up to the hype, i havent met one non nerd whos said halo2 was a dissapointment(i know more then 7 people personally who still play it on live daily)

I have an Xbox and a Xbox360... never once have I ever played halo or halo2 for more than 15 mins.. the game/s blows. Believe me I tried to play it for longer, but the SP was no fun and the multiplayer moves way to slow.. plus with all that auto-aim, bullets are super hugh to help with killing people easier, and making it more fun to play. It made it LESS fun for me. Seriously it is like the worst FPS in the world. My opinion of course... not that it goes far.. so Halo 3.. big f'ing deal!

For me, it was Halo's multiplayer that made it such a well liked game. And I think it was a victim of it's own hype. People tend to not like something if EVERYONE else likes it, its just their way of trying to be different. It's the same with anything, if someone tries to push something onto you, people tend to do the opposite and not like it. Case in point: I hate it when people talk up a brand but then diss the opposition for no reason. Take them both on their merits.

/rant

I think Halo and Halo 2 are highly over-rated, but they're still good games. I think they'd even be good compared to most of their PC competition, too. Are they as good as HL2? Nope. Unreal Tournament? Nope. BF2? Nope. Quake 4? Yes. Doom 3? Yes. FEAR? Yes. Those are the heavy hitting PC shooters of the moment and it's as good or better than 1/2 of them.

For every Xbox fan that claims that Halo is the best game ever without knowing any better, there's a PC fan who's claiming the opposite with the same knowledge.
The multiplayer maps for Halo are terrific, the modes work well (and seamlessly), and the story is a good one.

I'll likely end up picking it up, and I'll give it a fair chance, too. I don't think it'll be the end-all-be-all game, but based on the track record of the first 2 I bet it'll be good. And you know there will be a huge following. Not sure about numbers, but I'd guess that Counter Strike is likely the only online game that's gotten more play than Halo 2.

I think the fact of the matter is that Halo was a great shooter... for consoles. Its a completely different story when it comes to PC's. There are so many more games that are A) Better singplayer games or B) Better multiplayer. Thats really it... take a look at why Halo for PC was so 'meh' for most PC gamers and then think about why. There are better games out on PC, not so much for consoles..

Domingo said:
I think Halo and Halo 2 are highly over-rated, but they're still good games. I think they'd even be good compared to most of their PC competition, too. Are they as good as HL2? Nope. Unreal Tournament? Nope. BF2? Nope. Quake 4? Yes. Doom 3? Yes. FEAR? Yes. Those are the heavy hitting PC shooters of the moment and it's as good or better than 1/2 of them.

For every Xbox fan that claims that Halo is the best game ever without knowing any better, there's a PC fan who's claiming the opposite with the same knowledge.
The multiplayer maps for Halo are terrific, the modes work well (and seamlessly), and the story is a good one.

I'll likely end up picking it up, and I'll give it a fair chance, too. I don't think it'll be the end-all-be-all game, but based on the track record of the first 2 I bet it'll be good. And you know there will be a huge following. Not sure about numbers, but I'd guess that Counter Strike is likely the only online game that's gotten more play than Halo 2.
You can bet your ass halo3 will sell much more then 2, especially if microsoft gets the console install base big enough before they release it

Back