Halo 2 Vista

Looks pretty nice to me...

Unfortuantely, that's like saying because something is written in C++, it's fast. DirectX is a tool for developers. While it can make certain aspects of games easier to create and develop, it doesn't just make it look nicer. It's up to the developers to do so.

You all will come back here and post screens and system specs when you get a copy, right? :-p

Since last I heard there is no co-op I won't touch this thing, but I damned interested to see how far such an old game has come, and what sort of demands it makes of everyone's hardware.

Unfortuantely, that's like saying because something is written in C++, it's fast. DirectX is a tool for developers. While it can make certain aspects of games easier to create and develop, it doesn't just make it look nicer. It's up to the developers to do so.

Yeah, but in a real-world, time-limited scenario, the net effect will still be that DX10 will make games look nicer. You just have to see how the Unreal, Source, Crysis engines have impacted the way games have looked and are developed. Sure, a developer can develop their own engine but why would they want to if they can build on top and enhance the base engine? It's like writing 1000 lines of assembly code when a 5 line managed code will do the same thing and in most practical cases be less buggy.

DX10 is going to have a similar impact. The new Crysis engine have effects that are unique to DX10 and there will be a lot of developers that are going to use this engine for their games. I doubt that in a practical scenario that they will spend time to enhance the DX9 version to be closer to the DX10 one.

Vista, DX10...still requires me to dual boot. :( I suppose it'll give me a chance to play w/ Vista more. Oh yeah, I got a 5.7 on my WPI due to 3300Mhz E6400...wonder if it's speed, cache, or more likely cores that keeps me from 5.9. :D

Vista, DX10...still requires me to dual boot. :( I suppose it'll give me a chance to play w/ Vista more. Oh yeah, I got a 5.7 on my WPI due to 3300Mhz E6400...wonder if it's speed, cache, or more likely cores that keeps me from 5.9. :D

Cache probably matters too, somewhat...my E6600 gets 5.3 at stock, 5.6 at 2.9 Ghz, and 5.8 in the 3.2/3.3 range. Or it could be the chipset getting in the way :D

GARRRRRRR....there's a guy on the bungie forums w/ pics! That's it, I'm going H2 hunting!

I wonder how long it'll be until an XP patch is available.

Prolly not long.. I would guess that there likely is little more than an installer check that prevents it from being installed on Xp.. And/Or the game's .exe checks for Vista.. If that is it, then it will prolly only be a matter of a few weeks or days after release b4 it gets hacked to run in Xp.. But I cant say one way or the other for sure.. We will have to find out..

Just got pushed back a couple of weeks:

http://www.gametab.com/news/897794/

So yeah, the Gamestop/EB listings are correct.

Ummm.... Bungie just announced a little over a week ago that it would be out on the 8th (I went gold when they announced it so they were done) and some people have already found and purchased the game (i.e. read before you post). CircuitCity and BestBuy have shipments on there way and will be sold tomorrow in most places.

So, yeah, I'm not sure why Gamestop and EB still show the wrong date (I wouldn't be surprised if that article you just linked to got their info from Gamestop or EB).

Has anyone noticed that Games for Windows LIVE as well as the update to the Xbox 360 was not released as well. I'm betting that's the reason why Halo 2 PC is not out yet, because the Windows Update for LIVE capability aren't ready yet.

Has anyone noticed that Games for Windows LIVE as well as the update to the Xbox 360 was not released as well. I'm betting that's the reason why Halo 2 PC is not out yet, because the Windows Update for LIVE capability aren't ready yet.

Sounds reasonable. That's also what someone posted on Bungie's forum saying a Target employee gave him (or her? but probably him) as the reason. And we know everything on the Internets is true...(well, this at least sounds plausible). Hopefully - the problems can be addressed and we'll see it tomorrow/Thursday...

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=10752933

Bastards! I'm just going to go through Halo again. That should cover me for a few more days. If it ain't out by then, I'll give in to Supcom.

So now its gonna come out on 22nd? Perfect :rolleyes:

And what the fuck is up with vista, i DO NOT want fucking vista...until service pack is released.

god microsoft sucks ass, Halo 2 is completely runnable on DX9, they just make ppl shell out at least 80 dollars for a shit OS to run the game

god microsoft sucks ass, Halo 2 is completely runnable on DX9, they just make ppl shell out at least 80 dollars for a shit OS to run the game

I have been running Vista since launch and I think it's an awesome OS. Sorry you feel so strongly towards M$.

I can't wait for the 22nd :D

So now its gonna come out on 22nd? Perfect :rolleyes:

And what the fuck is up with vista, i DO NOT want fucking vista...until service pack is released.

Jesus do you people not know how to read? It's ship date was the 8th, it's street date is today. I don't care what moron told you the 22nd or where you heard it from but there are many stores you can already buy it from and Bungie said it went gold over a week and a half ago and that it would be shipped on the 8th. Why would they say that only to take it back a little over a week later?

Seriously, don't buy into the BS. I think the reason why everyone thinks there is a delay is because Gamestop/EB never updated their ship date.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=10751415

Wait, why should Microsoft continue to develop for an older platform? God forbid they want to take advantage of the new technology and offerings of Vista in their games like Windows Live. That's like getting mad at Sony for creating a game only for the PS3 and not the PS2 and is about one of the dumbest excuses just to yell at Microsoft.

Besides, Vista is quite an awesome OS. Not only have I had zero problems, but it's faster and more reliable than XP (especially with its advanced caching abilities; I have almost no load time on my favorite games). Don't call it shit especially if you haven't used it.

Jesus do you people not know how to read? It's ship date was the 8th, it's street date is today. I don't care what moron told you the 22nd or where you heard it from but there are many stores you can already buy it from and Bungie said it went gold over a week and a half ago and that it would be shipped on the 8th. Why would they say that only to take it back a little over a week later?

Seriously, don't buy into the BS. I think the reason why everyone thinks there is a delay is because Gamestop/EB never updated their ship date.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=10751415

Wait, why should Microsoft continue to develop for an older platform? God forbid they want to take advantage of the new technology and offerings of Vista in their games like Windows Live. That's like getting mad at Sony for creating a game only for the PS3 and not the PS2 and is about one of the dumbest excuses just to yell at Microsoft.

Besides, Vista is quite an awesome OS. Not only have I had zero problems, but it's faster and more reliable than XP (especially with its advanced caching abilities; I have almost no load time on my favorite games). Don't call it shit especially if you haven't used it.

I want Halo 2 out as soon as possible too, but don't post links that DON'T back up your claim. Try reading page six of that thread and see what the OP says, then go ahead and try to verify your sources next time.

P.S.: I <3 Vista too.

No, it was officially delayed until the 22nd by Microsoft.
Dear Editor,
As you may be aware, we recently adjusted our May 8th ship date for &#8220;Halo 2&#8221; for Windows Vista to make some improvements to the install experience and address other technical issues.

We are pleased to announce that &#8220;Halo 2&#8221; for Windows Vista will be shipping to retailers May 22nd! We are committed to providing a fantastic experience for our customers and are excited for people worldwide to soon descend upon Games for Windows &#8211; LIVE for the first time with this new iteration of one of the most popular video games ever made.
If anyone is interested in a review I wrote it up over on Evil Avatar.

Perhaps you choose to believe that, but it's hard to ignore the facts. Vista may be better in many different ways as compared to XP, but ignoring the various driver problems it still has generally poor gaming performance. Hopefully things get ironed out before my next build in another few months.

Heres the thing, Microsoft isn't taking advantage of the new technology and offerings of vista, in this instance. Halo 2 is a directX 9 port of an XBOX game that was released ages ago. A more apt console analogy would be Sony making a game for the PS2, but they only way to play the game is to use the PS2 emulator in the PS3.

Funny you should say that, considering God of War 2 is a PS2 title. Their marquee title targeted - gasp - the bulk of the isntall base instead of catering to a small percent of early adopters for an overpriced and underwhelming new platform.

Great. Pay pal me the $150 for Vista home premium ugrade and I'll be glad to ejoy the bliss that is Vista.
But however great Vista may be, it is still stupid to expect the overwhelming majority of people who are still using XP to spend ~$200 to play Halo 2. I could understand if they moved the game to DX10 and made it a poster child for the graphcis capabilites of DX10 under Vista, but they didn't. There is no technical reason Halo 2 shouldn't run under XP, it was a buisness decision, and I would like to meet the marketing mind that thought selling a product only a few percent of your potential customers can use would be a good idea.

Heres the thing, Microsoft isn't taking advantage of the new technology and offerings of vista, in this instance. Halo 2 is a directX 9 port of an XBOX game that was released ages ago. A more apt console analogy would be Sony making a game for the PS2, but they only way to play the game is to use the PS2 emulator in the PS3.

Um, the Windows Live services was developed specifically for Vista to take advantage of the hardware accelerated desktop. They are taking advantage of new features in Vista....

Perhaps you choose to believe that, but it's hard to ignore the facts. Vista may be better in many different ways as compared to XP, but ignoring the various driver problems it still has generally poor gaming performance. Hopefully things get ironed out before my next build in another few months.
I fail to see how driver issues are MS' fault. Besides, most hardware companies have Vista drivers available for their hardware unless it's very old. I have the Vista 64-bit version of all of my drivers and they work great. My framerates in Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Stalker, etc... have also remained the same since XP.

I fail to see how driver issues are MS' fault. Besides, most hardware companies have Vista drivers available for their hardware unless it's very old. I have the Vista 64-bit version of all of my drivers and they work great. My framerates in Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Stalker, etc... have also remained the same since XP.

Nobody said it's Microsoft's fault necessarily, but merely by running Vista you're forced to run Vista video drivers (and the ones available are either terrible or not very good in the performance department). I'm totally fine with older hardware losing support, since thats a fact of moving forward with an operating system, but I'm just saying that for a gaming rig Vista doesn't make sense.

You're kidding yourself if you believe that your framerate is the same, but it doesn't really matter because what you percieve is all that matters in the end. I think everyone is eager to use Vista on a daily basis (provided they're fine with paying for it), but for a gamer I'd strongly urge them to run a dual boot until more solid drivers (perhaps with the release of the HD 2900 series) are available to deliver more solid performance.

You're kidding yourself if you believe that your framerate is the same, but it doesn't really matter because what you percieve is all that matters in the end.
Huh? Most of the latest benchmarks show Vista performing close to that of XP in game performance and no I am not kidding myself with my framerate (it's about the same in most games and exactly the same in HL2). It's working about the same for me in terms of performance and games that I play frequently end up intially loading much faster on Vista because of the caching system it has where is caches some of the most used apps into memory.

1178010522zQcJDy9Cez_4_3_l.gif

Well you can post me up as someone who would like to play Halo 2 on the PC but can't because I

a) am not spending money on Vista, to play Halo 2 (nor should I have to, really)

and

b) have older Hardware, nowhere near cutting edge, so I really wouldn't benefit performance wise from running a newer OS.

[IMGhttp://enthusiast.hardocp.com/images/articles/1178010522zQcJDy9Cez_4_3_l.gif[/IMG]

Why stop there? He should click through my link earlier and check out all the charts. He can just type into google, "vista gaming performance." Hell, here's a page showing Source engine benchmarks. Those 12x10 benches are kinda misleading though, considering how GPU limited an 8800GTS is at that res.

Why stop there? He should click through my link earlier and check out all the charts. He can just type into google, "vista gaming performance." Hell, here's a page showing Source engine benchmarks. Those 12x10 benches are kinda misleading though, considering how GPU limited an 8800GTS is at that res.

Also - the comparison was done using only one color of hardware (nVidia), and not with the most recent drivers, so it isn't quite applicable anymore...hopefully, an updated comparison will be done in the "near" future...

Those Vista benchmarks haven't reflected my own experiences with an 8800GTX.
NFS: Carbon runs like a dog, but I haven't seen much of a drop off with much else. I personally feel that game's a POS anyway. Considering there's only been one patch for it and 1/3 of the owners can't even get that patch to install...that's not good. The whole game was a rush job that someone green lit for quick $'s.
Anyway, other games have held up pretty well for me. I'd say I take no more than a 5-7% framerate hit in most cases.
I typically game at 1680X1050 for reference.
Also noticeably absent from those benchmarks was FEAR, which actually performs better in Vista for some reason.

Anyway, Vista's okay. It's not the end-all be-all, but it's pretty looking and performance is getting better. I bought it at a CompUSA close-out sale and I've been pretty happy with it. It takes a little while to configure, but once it's up and running it's pretty nice.
One thing I will say - the Nvidia drivers that are out for it are a lot more temperamental than their XP brothers. Seems that with every release they fix one thing and break another. I've gotten more crashes with 2 months of Vista than the last 2 years of XP.

Back to the subject at hand, I like Halo 2...but I just don't have the motivation to buy this one. Mouse aiming and higher resolutions are nice, but it's unless you're a fan I'd call this a skipper.

...or have patiently waited since 2004 to play w/ mouse, higher tex, MAD AA (finally), and more MP opponents.

Back