Halo 2 PC at CES

HardOCP News

[H] News
Halo 2 for the PC might be newsworthy enough on its own but, how about Halo 2 for the PC that can game it up with people playing the Xbox version? Check out the hands on preview of the game over at GameSpot.

In terms of geometry, the Windows version of the level looked identical to the Xbox version, but there are a number of graphical improvements in the PC version. For one, the game can run at a much higher resolution than it can on the Xbox. This coupled with the higher-resolution textures make for a cleaner and crisper look to the entire game. Character models also looked a lot better because you can discern a lot more detail on the standard Master Chief character model.

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference a Mouse+Keyboard makes against a controller jockey.

Not trying to "poo poo" this because I think that the tech development to make it happen was obviously some difficult coding and that deserves respect. However, Halo 2 just became "not fun" for the 360/Xbox players. A game controller can NEVER match up in accuracy to a mouse. The PC players are going to "own." Now if the PC version of Halo 2 only works using a USB 360 controller, that would be fair.

If there is a statistic gathered for "headshots," well your bell curve just arrived.

Not trying to "poo poo" this because I think that the tech development to make it happen was obviously some difficult coding and that deserves respect. However, Halo 2 just became "not fun" for the 360/Xbox players. A game controller can NEVER match up in accuracy to a mouse. The PC players are going to "own." Now if the PC version of Halo 2 only works using a USB 360 controller, that would be fair.

If there is a statistic gathered for "headshots," well your bell curve just arrived.

I don't buy that. There are many people who are incredibly skilled with a controller that will pwn any of you CS/BF whores anyday so don't login expecting to dominate quite yet. I personally can't aim with a controller for shit but thats because my first fps was on the pc.

I agree the mouse/keyboard layout is quite advantagious compared to the controller. What I can't figure out is this... Halo 2 is already not fun just in terms that it has been around for so long the avalanche of cheating grows daily but it's also dated. Do you think this will help the problems?

Personally I would have been more impressed with a faster release date on Halo 3 and a dual platform launch.

I don't buy that. There are many people who are incredibly skilled with a controller that will pwn any of you CS/BF whores anyday so don't login expecting to dominate quite yet. I personally can't aim with a controller for shit but thats because my first fps was on the pc.

I concur. My little brother is amazing with a KB/mouse, and is just as good (if not better) with a controller. Myself, I can't say the same for, as I've never been able to make a controller work for me. That is actually one of the reasons I'm excited about this; us older gamers who didn't grow up with controller-based-FPSes can finally join the online Halo fun!

Steve, people cannot play Halo 2 on their Xbox 360 against someone who is using their PC.
People can use the Xbox 360 controller to play the PC game though.

I can’t stand the controller and I really hope that you can use the PC to game against the Xbox. I have some cocky friends that need to be OWNED!
That said, I am sure I would still be slaughtered by someone who has mastered the game for Xbox. Where it will really make a difference is between gamers of average skill level.

They will probably release this for the PC right around the time they release Halo 3 for the 360. That might encourage some Halo 2 players to go out and buy the new version.
After all, Microsoft has to make sure that the PC folks stay at least one generation behind. Despite “games for windows”, I still doubt Microsoft’s commitment to the PC game sector.

They better come out with this as a "budget" title. I know if I'd pay normal price for a game that old.

What was it, Quake 3 or UT on Dreamcast where PC players went up against consolers for the first time? Been there, done that.

I wish the pc version could play against the xbox version but that won't happen..:(

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11580

The folks at Joystiq asked Microsoft for clarification, and the company replied that there won't actually be any cross-platform gameplay between PCs running Windows Vista and the Xbox 360.

I'd be much happier if they'd release Halo 3 for the PC at the same time as the 360.I was able to play H 2 on the Xbox thanks to the Smartjoy Frag,but without a good keyboard/mouse adaptor for the 360(the XFPS adaptor just released sounds like a bust)it's just not worth getting a 360,and too much time has passed to get that excited about a game I've already played.

I personally do not care about Halo 2 for pc, by now it's outdated, just like Halo1 was outdated by the time it hit pc. I see no innovation or anything new brought to the table, to me it's "just another shooter" and I refuse to buy it. Halo 3 on the other hand should prove to be interesting and I just may pick it up for my 360, but of course that's all speculation, we can only wait and see :)

Well if you can't play against XBOX people than what's the point? There are hundreds of FPS for the PC and many that are more modern with better gameplay.

This sucks.

LMFAO, I'll pinkslip anyone who claims that.

Back