Halloween 2013

madFive

metal[H]ead
I need a good horror game to play for the next week or two! What are the odds Outlast will go on sale before then? I'm also considering Amnesia:MachineForPigs, but I didn't really care for DarkDescent so not sure if it's worth it.

Any other good suggestions? I'm not easy to scare - need something truly horrific to get the fix. Also, I'm a graphics whore - must be something relatively new. :D

I've already played: Amnesia-DD (didn't care for it, graphics are already looking really dated to me), all of the games that include the word DEAD (seriously, don't bother, I'm so sick of zombies at this point), the Clive Barker titles (Undying was amazing, but that was a long time ago), all the id titles, the Painkiller games, Vampire:Masquerade (amazing game! why can't they make more of those??), ResidentEvil 1-5 (is 6 any good? I'm not hopeful), a few Silent Hills, FEAR 1-3, Alan Wake, and probably a few more I'm forgetting now.

Please tell me there's something amazing the the horror genre I've missed in the last year or two...

Outlast is worth every penny. Play it in the dark alone with good surround sound or headphones.

Have you tried the Resident Evil 1 remake for the Gamecube? If not, its an entirely new experience and I dare you to play it in the dark, alone. o_o

Lone Survivor is a great game. Has a very Silent Hill vibe to it. I found it very immersive despite its 16-bit look. It’s an indie game so it’s pretty cheap new but I’ve seen a few sales on it.

I'd grab the New Amnesia for sure, I thought it was very well done, and the story telling was awesome. Some really good horror elements where you feel so helpless.

I've got to grab Outlast this Halloween, it looks phenomenal.

Yep, looks like I'm getting Outlast or Amnesia-Pigs tonight. Loud and in the dark is the only way to play. \m/
I'm just going to be pissed if I buy and it goes on sale like 2 days later. :p

Slender - The Arrival looked promising, I've been meaning to grab it at some point.

Ooo - this does look good. I'd rather have it on Steam though - may hold out a little while to see if it pops up there.

Thanks for the other Recs - keep 'em coming!

Check out Gamefly too, and Greenmangaming, always a 20% coupon on Greenman, and Gamefly often has crazy deals.

There's a youtube series called Two Best Friends Play where they have 2 guys playing video games and recording themselves, and for last October and this October, they have had a series called "Shitstorm of Scariness" and "Shitstorm 2: The Shittening" where they play about 30 minutes of scary games each day.

Anna seemed to be really weird and unnerving.

See if you can find a copy of Condemned. I still think it's the best horror game out there, even though Outlast is a good (and better looking) game, too.
Outlast's gameplay gets a little tired after a few hours.

Not a horror game, but if it hasn't been mentioned already, check out Costume Quest. AWESOME Halloween-themed RPG.

Just started Outlast. The shutter-bug in me says this is going to be an incredible game!
...the gun-nut in me kept trying to break back into my own car at the beginning of the game to get the rest of my gear first... oh well, here goes nothing... :eek:

dude if you want Condemned PM and I will mail it to you, on me. It was GOOD in the dark with surround cranked up.

Play this one. The full version comes out on Halloween day but the beta is available now. The developer is very friendly and adds most players to his personal friends list so that you can ask him questions or make suggestions.

QHUYfLy.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246740/

Alan Wake is incredible, play it if you haven't yet. That game gets a 10 out of 10 for atmosphere and creepiness.

Here is a great survival horror co-op game by another indie developer:

hxZAwgZ.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251170/

Have you tried the Resident Evil 1 remake for the Gamecube? If not, its an entirely new experience and I dare you to play it in the dark, alone. o_o

You know, I fired up my Gamecube to play that two weeks ago and I got so pissed that i turned it off. It is so hard to bring a zombie down with a knife that I shut the whole thing off. I tried to kill the first zombie I found I got killed. Second time I ran away but next zombie encounter I got killed again. Bullshit how you could be swiping at their kneecaps and they won't fall. Then once they grab a hold of you there is no shaking them off for like 3 seconds 5 seconds while they're munching on your neck.

Am I missing some strategy or something with this because I got so pissed as how unbalanced that shit was that I just turned it off, or do I just suck at games?

As far as Halloween goes, I think I personally might fire up F.E.A.R. again. Kind of annoys me that there hasn't been a game like it since. Also, I really want to play Sanity's Requiem but I gotta get it off Ebay and it's not always cheap.

Oh btw, Fatal Frame!!! Awesome game... I remember playing the first one on PS2 and it was so awesome. You can find plenty on eBay. Never played Fatal Frame 2 and up... There is also a game on PS3 called Siren I think which looked good too which I haven't played yet. Might give that a go.

Last edited:
I also like to play horror games during Halloween season. There's nothing like sitting alone in the dark at the PC with my headphones cranked and a can of Guinness or hard apple cider at the ready.

Anyway, you could try Cry of Fear ; it's what I'm playing through right now. It's a mod for the original Half-Life that's available for free as a standalone game on Steam. Pretty well done, and scary as Hell even with the dated graphics. It actually doesn't look like it's running on a 15-year old engine.

I also recommened Call of Cthulu: The Dark Corners of the Earth. It's fun and creepy, but very buggy...

I'm looking forward to Outlast, which is up next for me after Cry of Fear. I need to get Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, too.

I also like to play horror games during Halloween season. There's nothing like sitting alone in the dark at the PC with my headphones cranked and a can of Guinness or hard apple cider at the ready.

I'm looking forward to Outlast, which is up next for me after Cry of Fear. I need to get Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, too.

I can think of a lot of things better than a can of bitter molasses-like syrup.
New Amnesia was just plain awesome. It's worth a playthrough for sure. I'm looking forward to when I start Outlast.

New Amnesia was just plain awesome. It's worth a playthrough for sure. I'm looking forward to when I start Outlast.

That's exactly what my father calls Guinness! It's not for everyone :)

I'm a few hours into Outlast now - doesn't really seem that scary so far - more like a stealth game with no weapons and a lot of wandering around in the dark. There are a few good BOO scares along the way to keep it interesting - hopefully it'll keep building on the suspense 'till it gets better later on. It is fairly enjoyable - I intend to play it through to the end.

dude if you want Condemned PM and I will mail it to you, on me. It was GOOD in the dark with surround cranked up.

Thanks - but I think I already have that on disk somewhere. Little too dated for me to get back into it now. I've mostly just been in the mood for something new with lots of eye-candy lately.

Steam Halloween sale should be starting soon.

Sweet! I couldn’t remember if they ran Halloween sales. Looking forward to seeing what comes up. I still want to try the new Amnesia too.

New Amnesia was just plain awesome. It's worth a play-through for sure. I'm looking forward to when I start Outlast.

Black beer is awesome. That is all.

Fatal Frame 1/2/3 - PS2 (all 3) or Xbox (1 & 2), those games are creepy as shit. Especially 3.

Back