Half of image corrupt

OhSoCheesy

Limp Gawd
I have an older laptop...Dell Inspiron 9300 with nVidia 6800go and Intel Pentium M 2.1Ghz. When I turn the system on the BIOS comes up and says "Dell", but only half of the image is legible. The rest is vertical garbage. This continues into Windows. At one point I was able to fix it by changing the resolution to something lower and then letting it revert back to the original. Now nothing changes and the corruption stays. I'm assuming that since the issue starts with the BIOS that it is hardware related and not a driver issue. Any ideas? Is it just dead? Thanks!

Faulty graphics card. Very common with nvidias in laptops, you've done well to get that to last this long. Most of the 7900s and 8600s have already gone. If you can find an exact replacement you can fix it, but for such an old laptop it may not be cost-effective.

No problem, this happened to my friend's XPS a while back. I assume you're out of warranty now which is a shame, as Dell's next day repairs service is excellent.

I checked http://nvidiasettlement.com/ and your model is not included so it seems you are out of luck. Nvidia decided to settle the class action lawsuit against them for selling these chips they knew were defective, so even if you were out of warranty you would have qualified for reimbursement/replacement if your model was included.

Thanks for checking! This thing is 6-7 years old, so I'm not complaining. It is actually working right now. But I never know when it is going to start again or maybe go out forever. I don't usually keep stuff this long, but my GF only watches Youtube and surfs with it. It works (sometimes) fine for that. Thanks all!

Plug it into a monitor and see if the same happens. If it doesn't, then you're lcd is bad.

This happened to my wife's laptop using what is effectively a 9800 mobile (Geforce 250), it's still at Toshiba awaiting parts, but I narrowed it down to the graphics GPU causing the trouble, I had to give them photos of the problem in order for them to actually get the ball rolling on fixing the issue.

Back