Half Of All Smart TVs Aren't Connected To The Net

I don't imagine I'll bother connecting mine to the internet next time I upgrade. I'd rather use Netflix off my XBOX or Blu-Ray player. I just don't see a need to duplicate efforts.

The TV in the bedroom is connected because it has built-in wireless. We also do most of our streaming in there so if the Apple TV isn't working for Netflix we use the Amazon Prime streaming through the TV.

The TV in the living room is not connected unless it needs a firmware update. The 2 ethernet ports in the living room are used by the TiVo and Xbox 360. No built-in wireless.

Couple issues here.
1) Not all "Smart" TVs have built in WiFi. Samsung wants $80 for their dual band USB dongle. Note to Samsung and the rest, if the TV is over a grand throw in a wireless adapter. On top of that most people don't know about products like this adapter that will work with anything with an Ethernet port. Then there's the whole usefulness of Smart TVs. The apps are crap (Samsung) and load slow as hell. If you want to search anything you better have the Samsung app for your phone otherwise it will take forever to type in what you want on the standard remote.
2) I've been with Dish Network over 5 years. I decided to call them yesterday about upgrading my old receivers to HD receivers. No problem, but they wanted me to upgrade my package, pay a higher rental fee for the new receivers, and I still wouldn't have a DVR. I told them to go pound sand. I don't understand this. I have a huge 10' antenna in the attic (from the old residents) and I can pick up every local station in HD and I"m on average 45 miles from broadcast stations. But Dish wants me to pay for those channels? Uh, I'll stick with SD stretched to HD.

I've got dedicated Cat6 through the entire house...so net is at every TV. BUT, doesn't mean i use the apps...all my dvd players already come with the apps. We really only use hulu and netflix. We also have DirecTV, but that's about out the door...who can stand 200 channels of reality TV? It gets old, DirecTV was great when we got it...but none of the channels really have content worth getting excited about...

I got LG passive 3D set.

For Smart TV its meh... , but will never replace HTPC/ PC.
3D is fine as long as you can afford those expensive 3D blu-rays.

The gf & I were shopping for a HDTV this past holiday season. Ended up getting a 32" Sony Google TV. It integrates with the Dish receiver. It gives us Netflix. The picture quality is excellent, 1080P. Cost a whole $400 because no one was buying them (and they were on sale). We use the hell out of the integration and the internet access. There are just some things, when we're lying in bed, that make more sense to look at on a 32" screen as opposed to the iPod or the netbook, if they're nearby.

My only complaint is the lack of apps for the TV. I'm not expecting a "LAWLFARTNOISE" app, but an email app would be nice, and some sort of calendar would be appreciated. No idea how to develop for the platform, since it's not a traditional android screen size, so I can't get the droid emulator to run the right resolution.

I'm not shocked at all. The main selling points of HDTVs is that they are thinner than a normal TV and can be hung on the wall. A distant third would be that they use less power.

Most people don't give a flying fuck about 1080p, smart TV, or 3D and don't pay attention to those things. They simply get the biggest, slimmest, screen they can afford and whatever else happens to come with it, oh well!

Likewise most people didn't give a crap about any "quality" improvements that DVD brought. What people liked were smaller discs, not having to deal with tape in your VCR getting stuck, and not having to rewind them. Which is why blue-ray having "better video and audio" is not a selling point or an improvement that most people care about.

QFT. Most people don't care about video and audio quality. Many people I've met can't even tell the difference between SD and HD. They buy HDTVs because they're thin, lightweight, have large screens, and can be hung on the wall.

Also, Vizios are so popular because as I said in the previous post, most people don't give a crap about quality, and the Vizios are cheap.

QFT. Most people don't care about video and audio quality. Many people I've met can't even tell the difference between SD and HD. They buy HDTVs because they're thin, lightweight, have large screens, and can be hung on the wall.

+2

My parents (mainly my dad) and sister still watch some shows in SD while it's also offered in HD. I tell them over and over that it's available in HD but they ignore me.

"Oh shush, it looks fine."

We've had HD service from Comcast for almost 3 years. *Shakes head*

I have a Smart TV that isn't connected either. It's an Ethernet only version. I actually would connect it but the problem is the way they designed my TV. I have a Slim-line TV with a Slim-line wall mount. The plugs for all inputs face towards the wall. So if I plug the Ethernet in it will force the TV you be pointed up. As it is I have to use Slim 90 degree HDMI adapters. I could fix the issue by changing the mount but who wants their Slim TV to stick off the wall 5 inches?

I have a Smart TV that isn't connected either. It's an Ethernet only version. I actually would connect it but the problem is the way they designed my TV. I have a Slim-line TV with a Slim-line wall mount. The plugs for all inputs face towards the wall. So if I plug the Ethernet in it will force the TV you be pointed up. As it is I have to use Slim 90 degree HDMI adapters. I could fix the issue by changing the mount but who wants their Slim TV to stick off the wall 5 inches?
Have you tried one of these? (might not be long enough, don't know where your router's hiding)
http://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-Gigabit-Right-Straight-N204-005-BL-DN/dp/B005WKIQOA/ref=pd_cp_e_2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have 2 'smart' TV's. Both are not connected to the net. Why? They're too dumb. Instead I have HTPCs controlling each; these are connected to the 'net.

AMD e350's are awsome for this task - cheap, surf the net, full online video support, and can play blue rays and at $75 more to build than standalone Blu-ray players (at the time) there was no decision to make (i had a few extra components hdd, a case, etc laying around).

Zarathustra[H];1038421638 said:
My favorite is when I come into our living room and find people in our house watching SD channels on our HDTV when we actually have the same channel in HD :rolleyes:

I wish there were a way to remove all SD channels from the lineup, so only the HD channels are visible.
DirecTV eliminates the SD duplicates so they don't show in the line-up.

can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

Bit of both. Let's just say you won't be able to find me on Facebook and if you don't think part of the reason for smart TVs is not to track you then you are gullible. Maybe it all seems benign to you right now but I guarantee you it will be used in the future for more intrusive purposes. Maybe you think all this snooping shit going on is all good but I, and many other's, oppose it.

Bingo! Like most people, I don't care about that all that high def fuktard krap. Most of use grew up with black and white televisions with rabbit ears. Now we've got cheap 50"+ flat panel monitors with a digital signals. "Fukin' good enough" comes to mind.

I don't need to watch trash TV content in HD.

My Blue Ray player has them, and once my 360 died, I started using them. They work well.

We have a samsung smart TV and it came with a wireless n usb dongle. I stream hd movies to it and it works great. The only thing I don't like is that it's LED edge lit so on the corners you can see some backlight bleeding on very dark pictures.

Bit of both. Let's just say you won't be able to find me on Facebook and if you don't think part of the reason for smart TVs is not to track you then you are gullible. Maybe it all seems benign to you right now but I guarantee you it will be used in the future for more intrusive purposes. Maybe you think all this snooping shit going on is all good but I, and many other's, oppose it.

Oh, I know what you're talking about. You're mistaking Smart TV for Telescreens. Minitrue doesn't exist yet. Not to worry. :rolleyes:

I don't use any Google services for this reason and block all Google cookies and apps nor will I use any Google (or Apple) powered device.

Cracks me up when people are SHOCKED! SHOCKED! when device "xyz" is found out to be beaming all your info back home.

Shocked? I guess ya'all have not been paying attention the last several years. It is well known that the "do no evil" company Google has a fat folder on you based on your NIC, device id's and IP address.

Back