Half Life and Ravenhome

also my favorite part, very memorable...

it's cool to see a newer game played in an older engine, as a creative development exercise at least, I've long thought it'd be neat to see doom 3 or the new one rebuilt using the doom 1/2 engine... you can learn a lot about how to build a solid game experience not getting time-sunk futzing around with the more advanced/small graphical details. Gold source is a great example of an engine that can still do most of what we see in games today, graphics notwithstanding...

You mean Ravenholm? Why would I want to play Half-Life 2 in the original engine?

My favorite part of the game, actually.

Definitely. they nailed everything about that stage.. I think between Ravenholm and the Citadel, those're my favorite memories from HL2.

What a pointless exercise. How about re-creating HL2 in a newer engine? That I could get behind.

Hl2 was my favorite game for a decade. But when I gave up hopes for hl3, I had to leave Hl2 behind. The memories were just too painful a reminder of what will never be.

I always liked this series:

concerned088.jpg

I fired up Half Life 2 on my Win10 machine a few months ago and had a strange audio glitch. All the sound effects were delayed, fire a gun and you hear the gunshot about a second later.
Figured it may just be a Win10 glitch since it is an old game, but then I built an old XP machine and fired up Half Life 2 and it does the exact same thing.

And why would you want to play HL2 in HL1 engine? It should be the other way around.

You can tell people are starved for more Half-Life content when projects like this start popping up :p

also my favorite part, very memorable...

it's cool to see a newer game played in an older engine, as a creative development exercise at least, I've long thought it'd be neat to see doom 3 or the new one rebuilt using the doom 1/2 engine... you can learn a lot about how to build a solid game experience not getting time-sunk futzing around with the more advanced/small graphical details. Gold source is a great example of an engine that can still do most of what we see in games today, graphics notwithstanding...

I agree.

I'm not as big into gaming as I once was so maybe it's part nostalgia, but I find the simplicity in older graphics better than the jam packed highly detailed maps ala deus ex: md. It's almost overwhelming, kinda like my add kicks in and it breaks immersion cause there's just too much going on.
And with that it feels like map design suffers a bit

Half-life 2 using the HL1 engine.... lengthening the life of your RTX 2080 Ti.

Back