Half Life 3 / Half Life 4: Who wants it? Does pc gaming need it?

Yes, but the publisher EA doesn't. They will probably bring it to the PS3, have another studio to port it, just as with The Orange Box to PS3, despite it being a lackluster port.

I thought I had read something fairly recently where Gabe Newell basically said, "Fuck the PS3, we're done with that system."

Valve defiantly under delivered on the episodic content, unless of course your L4D I/II. I wonder what is taking so long, are they making the story up as they go? Is the story finished? Are they working on updating the engine? What is taking so long? Make the game right and take your time Valve but for the love of GabooN please update us on where this game is at!!!

HalfLife had what two expansions out by now? Let’s hope HLII:EP3 doesn’t take as long as TeamFortress II to be released..

cause they have only one team at valve.. where do people come up with this garbage.

Just one comprised of how many? I cant even name how many "teams" of people Valve have bought over the years... CS team, Portal team, L4d team, and I am sure many other talented people whom created content for any Quake/HL engine/Source game.

EDIT: I withdraw my previous comment. You're right about PS3. Major a** clown!

Last edited:
It is getting hard to care anymore.

Yep.

HL1 was a fantastic game, and HL2 was a technical marvel with some really good new features, although I wasn't terribly fond of the wandering story which didn't seem to have a great deal of point to it.

Ep1 and 2 had little over HL2, valve dropped the ball completely on episodic gaming, I can't say I care in the slightest about Ep3 now, other than to say I will get it when it's ready just to end the series.

Valve should just do what they do best, buy out some other new upcoming IP and polish it to a mirror shine and release that. In all honesty they should pick up the Duke Nukem IP and work on that, instant blockbuster title in the making.

HL1 was a fantastic game, and HL2 was a technical marvel with some really good new features, although I wasn't terribly fond of the wandering story which didn't seem to have a great deal of point to it.

Ep1 and 2 had little over HL2, valve dropped the ball completely on episodic gaming, I can't say I care in the slightest about Ep3 now, other than to say I will get it when it's ready just to end the series.

Valve should just do what they do best, buy out some other new upcoming IP and polish it to a mirror shine and release that. In all honesty they should pick up the Duke Nukem IP and work on that, instant blockbuster title in the making.

Agreed on all points. HL2 (and to a lesser extent episode 1) feel more like tech demos for the source engine than actual games.

I liked HL2's story. Game was fun regardless if you liked the story or not I think.

HL2 did not have anything like the charm and intrigue of the first one, but it was a technical showpiece. Episodic content sucks, and Valve sucks at sticking to schedules.

My only beefs with HL2 was that the problem solving was overdone in some levels,it disrupted the flow of the action.Episode 1 was even worse in this.And personally,I don't care at all for vehicle levels in a FPS,the airboat level seemed to go on forever and wasn't enjoyable to me at all.The ending of Episode 2 had more emotion in it than any of the rest of the series,they need to build on that.Freeman should be out for blood in the last episode.

I couldn't care less if they did a massive update to the engine. They've left the rest of the story untold; if they left it that way, it would be unforgivable.

I'd love to see a new engine tech demo that's as jaw-dropping as the original source ones were before HL2 appeared. Meanwhile, they'll never tie up the storyline because they've obviously had no idea where it was going since HL1. The "conclusion" will be more ambiguous, cryptic crap which hardcore fans will pretend to understand, and which will allow for all sorts of spin-offs.

I think we will see Episode 3 before the end of 2010. No confirmation on that however. I also believe that will be our last Source game before they build / introduce a new engine. I also believe Ep.3 will be much bigger then Ep.1 & 2. It has been 2 years, and it is the finale of the "trilogy arc".

I think the reason that TF2, L4D and L4D2 have been updated and pushed forward so frequently was so Valve could store up enough capital to tide them over while they build Source2 (or whatever they name it). If they did not already have it in the works since DirectX11's announcement I'd be surprised. They know their current engine has become long of tooth and they're not stupid. Still, only time will tell.

I think the reason that TF2, L4D and L4D2 have been updated and pushed forward so frequently was so Valve could store up enough capital to tide them over while they build Source2 (or whatever they name it).
I doubt very much that Valve didn't already have a lot of cash in the bank before L4D and all the TF2 updates. Their other games already sold extremely well, and they also have quite a bit of money coming in from Steam.

I think gaming has passed Half-Life by. Revolutionary for it's time, it's now an old concept copied by everyone, heavily scripted, one-dimensional, a game on rails.

What is Valve doing with all the money they are making? TF2, Portal, L4D are all compartively light and small games. Do they have something big up their sleeves?

Source is continuously getting updated but there is only so much they can do with that engine. They need to grab PC users attention by using all that money to build an engine that is the next step forward, to be the next Crysis type event. They then need to deliver some kind of gameplay that is worthy of the Half-Life name, something new and revolutionary. Perhaps something more like Stalker with a quasi-sandbox world, but a tremendous world in which they can also create scripted stories but the player can also explore and find multiple strategies to do something.

And yes, a new Counter-Strike please.

I think we will see Episode 3 before the end of 2010. No confirmation on that however. I also believe that will be our last Source game before they build / introduce a new engine. I also believe Ep.3 will be much bigger then Ep.1 & 2. It has been 2 years, and it is the finale of the "trilogy arc".

I think the reason that TF2, L4D and L4D2 have been updated and pushed forward so frequently was so Valve could store up enough capital to tide them over while they build Source2 (or whatever they name it). If they did not already have it in the works since DirectX11's announcement I'd be surprised. They know their current engine has become long of tooth and they're not stupid. Still, only time will tell.

Wishful thinking.

i really think with development of the L4D series and now having the 360 as a major part of their game development focus, HL 3 or EP 3 will only come out when both PC/360 versions are ready, the HL series will no longer be exclusive to the PC.

L4D 1/2 made them to much money, i don't think we will every see a valve PC exclusive game ever again.

Mac[X-D];1035110182 said:
i really think with development of the L4D series and now having the 360 as a major part of their game development focus, HL 3 or EP 3 will only come out when both PC/360 versions are ready, the HL series will no longer be exclusive to the PC.

L4D 1/2 made them to much money, i don't think we will every see a valve PC exclusive game ever again.

Hmm..Half-Life 1 was ported to PS2 in 2001, and Half-Life 2 shipped for Windows and Xbox 360, as did Episode 1 and the Orange Box.

There are also PS3 versions of Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2.

yes, but this is the pc forum and the topic say's does pc gaming need it, but my point was that valve doesn't seem from our limited knowledge too concerned when the hl series with continue, because all of the effort for the L4D series they had two games in dev almost at the same time to be able to ship them back to back only separated by a year, and i think they could have shipped L4D 2 6 months earlier if they wanted to but knew that would cause even more of a up roar.

and if i am not mistaken the PS3 stuff was not done by valve and they seem to not care about the PS3 either.

Mac[X-D];1035110338 said:
yes, but this is the pc forum and the topic say's does pc gaming need it, but my point was that valve doesn't seem from our limited knowledge too concerned when the hl series with continue, because all of the effort for the L4D series they had two games in dev almost at the same time to be able to ship them back to back only separated by a year, and i think they could have shipped L4D 2 6 months earlier if they wanted to but knew that would cause even more of a up roar.

and if i am not mistaken the PS3 stuff was not done by valve and they seem to not care about the PS3 either.

You're naive if you think L4D and L4D2 are two different code bases.

Mac[X-D];1035110338 said:

My point was, the Half-Life franchise is not nearly as PC-Exclusive as you seemed to think it was.

You're naive if you think L4D and L4D2 are two different code bases.

And you are naive if you think they are the same.

Nothing can replace Half Life. I don't care if the formula is copied. I finally completed Ep1 and 2 (I've beat all HL games besides Blue Shift and Opposing Force), and Ep1 was definitely disappointing.

HL2 people bash on, but if you played it when it came out it was great. Still a better game than it's competitor of the day, Doom 3. People have completely forgotten about that. But ya, today HL2 and Ep1 are lame, but they are also very old.. it's normal. Ep2 is still great by today's standards, if not still the king of SP FPS.

Valve saved PC gaming from the PS3/360 horde through Steam, not sure what other people think, but PC gaming is in no danger from this day forward thanks to it. Now GFW Live is copying it, and there are other digital distribution sources that do well. It looked bad for the past 20 years for PC gaming with new consoles coming out all the time, but it survived even if it wasn't flying high... but nothing will stop the PC at this point.

So no, HL3/4 are not necessary for PC gaming. We finally got what was necessary, a way to prevent piracy from sinking our ship here in the PC realm. I was hoping for such a platform many years before it was launched.

My point was, the Half-Life franchise is not nearly as PC-Exclusive as you seemed to think it was.

And you are naive if you think they are the same.

Incorrect, ive played both. There are no significant differences.

FYI people you can get the orange box on steam for $15. :cool:

Back