Half-life 2 video stress test out today on steam

Gibzilla said:
Graphics are subpar to Doom3.

problem with Doom 3 is .. its engine is amazing .. but the game itself didn't really show off the eye candy too well. everything being in the dark makes the game about 10x's less impressive. reason that farcry and halflife2 will seem to "look better" to most people is the fact that you can see stuff.

just ran the stress test @1280*960- 6Xaa and 16Xaniso
= 99 fps
a64 3200
x800 xt pe
1gig of corsair 3200 LL

Gibzilla said:
Graphics are subpar to Doom3.

Looks that way from these screenies, Doom3 looks far more realistic.

edit: wow after browsing through all these screens, if this is representative of what HL2 is gonna look like, Doom3 really makes this game look outdated.

DigitalEmperor said:
problem with Doom 3 is .. its engine is amazing .. but the game itself didn't really show off the eye candy too well. everything being in the dark makes the game about 10x's less impressive. reason that farcry and halflife2 will seem to "look better" to most people is the fact that you can see stuff.

Yeah I hear ya. There is an amazing amount of detail everywhere you look in Doom3 but between dodging/killing badies and the overall darkness of the game, it's easy to miss most of it. It's even worse when having to toggle between weapon/flashlight constantly

But that is what the bightness setting in D3 is for. :D I set it to about 3/4 in D3. Not too bright and not overly dark. There's probably about 15 different color/contrast/gamma console setting in D3 as well.

Just ran two tests one with my ultra and one with my xt pe here are the results

1600x1200 x4 x8

nV: 80 fps
xtpe: 97 fps

Something doesn't look right though. It looks like ATi cards don't get the same hit with more the one light souce I'm thinking they are using sm 2.0b

Nvidia rules doom 3, beats ATI by 1 million FPS, soooo neeeeeaaaaaah! :p

ATI runs HL2 waaaaaay better than Nvidia, soooo there! :mad:

er...pardon me, but i am just glad Nvidia finally has given ATI some good competition, and they no longer totally suck on the high end cards. :D

every other forum in here, ATI and HL2, NV and Doom 3, sheeeesh :p

UltimateMan said:
Nvidia rules doom 3, beats ATI by 1 million FPS, soooo neeeeeaaaaaah! :p

ATI runs HL2 waaaaaay better than Nvidia, soooo there! :mad:

er...pardon me, but i am just glad Nvidia finally has given ATI some good competition, and they no longer totally suck on the high end cards. :D

every other forum in here, ATI and HL2, NV and Doom 3, sheeeesh :p

well if the case is they are using sm 2.0b there is no win for ATi here.

rancor said:
Just ran two tests one with my ultra and one with my xt pe here are the results

1600x1200 x4 x8

nV: 80 fps
xtpe: 97 fps

Something doesn't look right though. It looks like ATi cards don't get the same hit with more the one light souce I'm thinking they are using sm 2.0b

do you have the 65.xx's ???

and I trust you had optimizations on...;)

tranCendenZ said:
Looks that way from these screenies, Doom3 looks far more realistic.

edit: wow after browsing through all these screens, if this is representative of what HL2 is gonna look like, Doom3 really makes this game look outdated.

actually its not what hl2 is going to look like. this benchmark shows the graphics, but doesn't show the aesthetics of what hl2 will be like. the real game wont have floating spinning water cubes and other weird things floating around to make it look unrealistic.

^eMpTy^ said:
do you have the 65.xx's ???

and I trust you had optimizations on...;)

actaully had to step down to the 61.77s this is on my development system, don't trust beta drivers hehe.

Yes both cards had opts on :)

Oh yeah 4.8 cat drivers for ati

doh-nut said:
actually its not what hl2 is going to look like. this benchmark shows the graphics, but doesn't show the aesthetics of what hl2 will be like. the real game wont have floating spinning water cubes and other weird things floating around to make it look unrealistic.

Not even referring to that... The lighting in particular looks especially poor compared to Doom3.

tranCendenZ said:
Not even referring to that... The lighting in particular looks especially poor compared to Doom3.

well obviously the doom3 engine can accomplish better lighting, but one of the reasons doom3's lighting looks so good, is because there isn't much of it. i could make a very bright room in doom3 right now for you and itd look shitty.

doh-nut said:
well obviously the doom3 engine can accomplish better lighting, but one of the reasons doom3's lighting looks so good, is because there isn't much of it. i could make a very bright room in doom3 right now for you and itd look shitty.

Heh not true at all, I can post you some "bright" screenshots of Doom3 that look fantastic

rancor said:
actaully had to step down to the 61.77s this is on my development system, don't trust beta drivers hehe.

Yes both cards had opts on :)

Oh yeah 4.8 cat drivers for ati

did you run any benches without AF to get an idea if the x800xt was ahead due to AF or due to superior pixel shader performance?

^eMpTy^ said:
did you run any benches without AF to get an idea if the x800xt was ahead due to AF or due to superior pixel shader performance?

running it right now :D

tranCendenZ said:
Heh not true at all, I can post you some "bright" screenshots of Doom3 that look fantastic

yeah no kidding...I can see people not liking the game play of d3...but the graphics are second to none...

lol

you should give the 65.xx's a shot...I'm curious to see if nvidia's AF optimizations are there or not...

ok I think I got a bug here lol, my res isn't 1600x1200, its 1280x1024 wtf lol

^eMpTy^ said:
lol

you should give the 65.xx's a shot...I'm curious to see if nvidia's AF optimizations are there or not...

I can't seem to get it to go higher then 1280x1024 wierd

theelviscerator said:
this one bright enough?

pic

1280x1024 HQ No aa i believe

no, thats what im talking about though. they make the ambient light very very dark, and put harsh lights around. and no doubt it looks cool, but thats just their style and its how they make the lighting look impressive. this hl2 benchmark doesn't have very thought out lighting in the first place though.

its just pointless to compare the two, because they are so incredibly different environments, not to mention you're comparing it to a benchmark that isn't even a real level in hl2.

^eMpTy^ said:
lol

I'll try it out tomorrow, think I'll do a fresh install too

tranCendenZ said:

yea same explanation as above. doom3 has great graphics, they show off their lighting well, but they are different. ill put it this way, if source engine tried to recreate doom3, it would fail because they couldn't pull off the lighting that makes the corridors in uac cool looking, and if doom3 engine tried to recreate hl2's environments imo it would also fail due to more larger surfaces where the low res textures just would not cut it.

stress test
laptop (NV48M, 61.45) 840x525 WS, default options 57.60fps
desktop (6800GT, 65.62) 1600x1200 6xaa, 16xaf, all options maxed 82.10fps

good enough for me. :D

I'm surprised my laptop runs that well. Doom 3 timedemo demo1 is only ~29fps at the same resolution and this was a stress test.

about this stress test, does anyone know...

does it have sm2.0b path? sm3.0 path? or just sm2.0?
does it use fp16pp calls at all?

anyway, if this stress test is any indication, looks like i will be playing HL2 maxed :)

doh-nut said:
How do you know the capability of a game that's not even out. Since you said that the VST and CS:S don't represent what HL2 will be like. Can you give us something to back up your statement?

ok 6800 ultra 65 drivers 87 :)

and ya the res was 1600x1200, had so wierd setting in photoshop goin so when I pasted my screenshot it resized it lol.

6800 ultra 65 drivers 87

ATi xt pe 4.8 cats 97

x4/x8 aa/af

came out fairly close to what the cs benchmark was ratio wise.

ChiMan said:
How do you know the capability of a game that's not even out. Since you said that the VST and CS:S don't represent what HL2 will be like. Can you give us something to back up your statement?

yes, only HL2 will represent what HL2 will be like, but screenshots can do some justice, all you have to do is look at screenshots which are publically available like the latest ones here:

http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/index.shtm

doesn't really matter though. if someones convinced they are going to be a hl2-hater, nothing can remove the glaze from their eyes. when in reality you can't accurately compare hl2 and doom3's overall aesthetics they are just totally different environments, and imo they both pull their own off very well.

+ theres that old HDR demo of the rooftops in HL2, which is a very good representation of how outdoor lighting will be, can't seem to find it though.

I think that Doom3 simply pulls off what we see in our everyday environments better. It looks less computer generated (probably because of the lighting, which is rarely bright and/or uniform as it looks in some of those HL2 shots).

doh-nut said:
yea same explanation as above. doom3 has great graphics, they show off their lighting well, but they are different. ill put it this way, if source engine tried to recreate doom3, it would fail because they couldn't pull off the lighting that makes the corridors in uac cool looking, and if doom3 engine tried to recreate hl2's environments imo it would also fail due to more larger surfaces where the low res textures just would not cut it.

very good point if i do say so

rancor said:
ok 6800 ultra 65 drivers 87 :)

and ya the res was 1600x1200, had so wierd setting in photoshop goin so when I pasted my screenshot it resized it lol.

6800 ultra 65 drivers 87

ATi xt pe 4.8 cats 97

x4/x8 aa/af

came out fairly close to what the cs benchmark was ratio wise.

So basically a 10% advantage to ATI eh? Wonder if that could be made up with FP16pp calls and SM3.0... All in all not a bad showing for Nvidia.

doh-nut said:
yes, only HL2 will represent what HL2 will be like, but screenshots can do some justice, all you have to do is look at screenshots which are publically available like the latest ones here:

http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/index.shtm

Is this particular one really an actual HL2 screenshot?????

It's late here but I've been staring at this particular image for a couple minutes. This looks like a real photo of a real building in a real city. If this is a HL2 screenshot, holy cow. I've never looked at any computer generated image and mistaken it for the real deal.

All the other screenshots are great but I can tell they are computer generated, except that one.

CraftyOtter said:

It's late here but I've been staring at this particular image for a couple minutes. This looks like a real photo of a real building in a real city. If this is a HL2 screenshot, holy cow. I've never looked at any computer generated image and mistaken it for the real deal.

All the other screenshots are great but I can tell they are computer generated, except that one.

im pretty sure thats real photo, if you go to the next page, i think it shows the screenshot that it resembles

CraftyOtter said:

No, in that presentation they show real world photos they took then what they were able to do with the engine. Above you posted the photo, this is what they were able to do with it:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/features/articles/sigg04/phl_c17_Slide10b_hi.jpg

Back