Half Life 2 playing...please help?!

nemesis27

Limp Gawd
I finally decided to get this game as I am running outta FPS and after install I find that I have to be on the damn internet to play this? i'm not multiplayer playing, and my box never states anything about this, even the sticker on it say nothing of "requires internet for single player" please let me know if I am doing something wrong or if this is the way it is...if so anyone want a free game, you pay shipping.

You only have to activate it online to play. Afterwards you can run steam in offline mode to play.

In Half Life 2 and the newer releases of the older half life and counterstrike games they require steam to play it. You install Steam and make an account (free) and put in your CD Key. The Steam account stores your CDKey so if you uninstall or reformat and install later you just log in to your steam account (in case you lose the key). It also prevents people from playing online with your cdkey randomly generated. Basically just get Steam going and get into the game thru it.

Ahh.. so after the 127 minutes of updating Steam (HL2&HL2LC) I can play the game just as a regular one? See I have (drum roll) dial-up! I know I know....what gamer has dial up :p so getting Steam going to play through it takes well over an hour to update just so I can play the damn thing. I will try what you all said, let it update and shoot for the offline option. Let me know if you have anything else for me.

Regardless of protection, this is the sh****iest move I have ever seen for a game.

I am inclined to agree. Steam should be a multiplayer-only thing. Unfortunately they integrated it in just for launching the game in general. After all, for Half Life 2, deathmatch launches as a separate program.

I would have to agree that it's stupid to make someone have an internet connection just to play a single player game. But I'm guessing they thought that if your computer is good enough to play HL2, then it must have some sort of internet connection.

My 2 cents.

The Idea of using steam for security is AWESOME.
Keep the Starforce's off of our games!
Not to mention if you lose your CD key (I can Happen) you'r not SOL

Back