half life 2 multiplayer

like i said in one of my previous post, i would only really pay to use steam, IF and thats a major IF...Valve was able to get rid of the majority of the hackers, fix the bugs with steam, so that there wouldnt be anymore crashes...and if there were crashes, have some kind of really awsome tech support...and provide some valve hosted servers...then and only then would i be willing to pay to use steam :eek:

Ide rather have crashes, and work to avoid hackers, then to pay 10$ monthly. Playing 10$ a month for steam is bullshit because:

A- Unlike MMORPGs, the mass ammounts of players cost them next to nothing because everyone hosts there own servers.

B- Hackers have never been a problem for me, I just go to a different server.

C- The only gay thing about Steam, is that its Steam. Its always going to suck more than Janet Reno.

D- Steam sucks

Paying for a mod that would normally be free is bullshit.

Tengis said:
Ide rather have crashes, and work to avoid hackers, then to pay 10$ monthly. Playing 10$ a month for steam is bullshit because:

A- Unlike MMORPGs, the mass ammounts of players cost them next to nothing because everyone hosts there own servers.

B- Hackers have never been a problem for me, I just go to a different server.

C- The only gay thing about Steam, is that its Steam. Its always going to suck more than Janet Reno.

D- Steam sucks

Paying for a mod that would normally be free is bullshit.

A. true, but valve will be always releasing new content to make the $10 worth it, including expansions, TF2, CS2, DOD2, and mods like NS2 that may start charging to play, all this would cost a fortune if you bought it all separately as opposed to one flat monthly fee.

B. ok

C. closeminded misconception

D. closeminded misconception

doh-nut said:
A. true, but valve will be always releasing new content to make the $10 worth it, including expansions, TF2, CS2, DOD2, and mods like NS2 that may start charging to play, all this would cost a fortune if you bought it all separately as opposed to one flat monthly fee.

B. ok

Does that mean you think hackers are a problem (and they can be, but things can be done about it) and that steam doesn't suck?

Elaborate please on why steam doesn't suck...

doh-nut said:

B. ok

a) No. Valve does very little modwork.

b) doh-kay

c + d) have you ever USED steam? it sucks really, really badly. thats part of the reason i stopped playing counterstrike was that i had to deal with steam. what a waste of time and energy and system resources, to force you to use some bloated frontend to play a certain company's game.

doh-nut said:

B. ok

A. You do realize that all of those mods were created by freelance individuals, not Valve in the first place, right? So why the heck would we pay Valve to play mods created by end users, not Valve themselves, hunh? I don't think so, not unless there was some overwhelming reason.

B. Hackers aren't too much of a problem. Yeah, there are a few, but there's usually a mod in there, and half the time I end up killing the hacker by means unknown to either of us (at least, as long as it's not an aimbot, cuz that's like instant death unless you've got a lot of meatshields).

C. What Steam are you on?

D. Obviously not MY damned version...

^^^ ahahahaha "meatshields"!!!

That's what most of them are, too. Bait!

If "new content" consists of crap like deathmatch classic and riochet then they can forget about it.

Only way I can see p2p working in *any* form if valve had special 128+ player servers to play on, but even then they'd be mostly empty all the time.
Any other way of p2p would just piss off server admins/modders/players and make them goto Doom3 or UT2k4 instead.

hackers are a problem. they are out there. i dont really care. i play on a couple servers that have great admins. they're are a few regs everyone thinks cheats, but no one can prove it. but it still makes it feel good when i go on a pub server and some kid is cheating and i'm able to hand his ass to him with a thank you card.
steam is a great thing. by thing i mean idea. it needs a lot of work. the friends list is a great idea. really makes following ppl easy. maybe valve will start using punkbuster...it beats out their cheat crap.

like the other guys have said, there is no reason that you should pay for a game where the servers aren't provided for you. a big reason that everyone justifies mmorpgs is that the maintainance of the servers. if i'm running the server. will valve cut me a check? not gonna happen. i see that as a quick and easy way to cut the following of cs...a lot. part of the joy of cs to me is the fact that i can setup a server and customize it a lot.
if they were to charge for steam, they would have to have servers setup running huge huge maps. the maptime would be impossible. there would be no way that valve could/would host as many servers as they're are now.

was it a 128 players per server max? because i think with that many people, it would cause bandwidth problems... and bog down the whole internet ;) well anyways... won't it be a bit "hectic?"

Back