Half-Life 2 gone Gold

I still have a bad feeling it wont be actually in stores or "unlocked" from Steam untill right around Thanksgiving week ?

this is what? the fourth? fifth time its been 'a sure thing'

its going gold until it gets announced as gold by vug

Stereophile said:
It will release on Black Friday.

I agree with you, and think this is bullsh!t, BlackFriday is close to 2months away, well a little over 5weeks, but still :mad:

Every game that get announced gold, is released in store within 2-3weeks max after the official announcement. Those fuckers at VUD will be pricks to "hold" the release longer

Chuckles said:
this is what? the fourth? fifth time its been 'a sure thing'

its going gold until it gets announced as gold by vug

Haha. When the HL2 is finally finished they should just refer to it as "Gone Platinum". The "Gone Gold" thing has been done to death already with this game.:p

Hey, think of it this way: If it's out during the Thanksgiving weekend, then that's another thing to be thankful for! :D

All Valve would have to do is release a statement saying either, "Yes, we've broken the pinata," or, "No, the pinata is not broken." But instead they remain silent while a "source" leaks that the pinata has been broken...yet another example of the stupidass megahype their marketing department is evidently capable of creating.

P.S. Where do you guys pull Black Friday from? I have yet to see that release date anywhere, and a gold announcement now would indicate a release around the beginning of November...i.e., November 2nd, the one the retailers have been quoting for awhile now. Vivendi isn't going to use their legal right to delay the retail deployment of the game until Black Friday just to allow demand to reach a point of critical mass, AFTER copies of the master disc have been printed and shipped...that's just asking for a piracy problem.

The game is going thru the stages and should be out very soon. Since its going thru certification now, it should only be a few weeks before the retail versions are taped out and shipped. I say first week of November.

But what about all of us who have it through Steam, cant we play it the day it officially goes "gold" ? If not then whast the real date, like some stores get games earlier than others

Yea, they will release it at retail the same day which it gets unlocked. Unless some store employees get a hold of it early, which means retail may get out earlier than the Steam version. Remember the Doom 3 "Friday before retail" release in Texas and a few other places? I expect that to happen again.

finalgt said:
All Valve would have to do is release a statement saying either, "Yes, we've broken the pinata," or, "No, the pinata is not broken." But instead they remain silent while a "source" leaks that the pinata has been broken...yet another example of the stupidass megahype their marketing department is evidently capable of creating.
did you just blame valve for internet rumors? the pinata metaphor is incredibly stupid and the marketing department didnt create any megahype, gamespot did.

why in the hell should they be responsible for debunking every rumor?

Because "officially," they haven't said a fucking thing in a year.

According to their last real communication to the press (i.e., a press release, none of this "tid bit of information to tiny HL2 fansite A, another tidbit of information to tiny HL2 fansite B shit) they're still "discerning the damage done by the hackers." The benchmark tool? Yeah, haven't said anything about that either. You think it's an internet rumor? For one thing, Gamespy is pretty far from your average 14 year old with too much time on his hands. For another, we're talking about the status of an object in the fucking lobby of a public company...not exactly some sort of lock-and-key restricted access area. Oh, and two things:

a) The Pinata thing isn't a metaphor.
b) Valve came up with it, not me.

I'm thinking Thanksgiving, can usually tell release dates by just going by ebgames.com or some other big sellers. They will know, their money/job depends on it.

I'll hold my enthusiasm until I can exchange legal tender for a physical copy.

They already reviewed the game. No one would be allowed to review a partial game.

It's done.

to me all this nonsense about HL2 is just nonsense
as far as I am concerend it doesn't even exist

when i wander into best buy one day and its sitting there then i will consider buying it
(this little bit of psychology helps the time go buy faster)

"HL2? Whats that? WoW? I remeber vaugely playing a beta...whens it coming out...2010?"

So when they actually do come out, i get them then. Until that point, no stress.
Doom3 was the last game I will ever be excited about. Thanks id, for curing me of my addiction. "All of this wait, and hassle, for this POS?"

Steel Chicken said:
Doom3 was the last game I will ever be excited about. Thanks id, for curing me of my addiction. "All of this wait, and hassle, for this POS?"

I am with you on that one! I look back now and wonder why I EVER was excited to play that game.

Although, I have been looking at so many screenshots of CS:S that I broke down and bought the bronze Steam package, and have been playing CS:S almost non stop the entire weekend. Now to think of what to do with my pre-order of HL2 at EBGames that I have already paid in full for?

I've said the week of thanksgiving since this summer, and I still think it'll take them that long to get enough copies duplicated and out to stores to meet demand.

Their pre-order via steam has never been done before, so I don't see necessarily why they won't unlock those copies early. There will be tons of people without high-speed internet access that will still want to purchase a hard copy of the product. Seems silly to me, it's the least they can do for making fans wait.

I know for a "FACT" the release date falls on "HALLOWEEN". I didn't tell you that though.

EternityZX9 said:
I'm thinking Thanksgiving, can usually tell release dates by just going by ebgames.com or some other big sellers. They will know, their money/job depends on it.
Smoked crack latley? EBgames, and other retailers for that matter; Blatantly make up random release dates 98% of the time.

Steel Chicken said:
What a fucking nightmare that suckfest was. Everyone at id should be drug into the street and beat with the CD's they wasted to print that pile of shit on.

id needs to stop making games. They need to focus exclusively on game engines. They have proven that after Q2 they lost the ablity to make games that don't suck.

Steel Chicken said:
So when they actually do come out, i get them then. Until that point, no stress.

Funny thing...true
This did help me. I am looking forward to HL2, but more for a graphics engine to look at
Now all I have to do is hope a game is good :)

Tiny said:
I am with you on that one! I look back now and wonder why I EVER was excited to play that game.

Although, I have been looking at so many screenshots of CS:S that I broke down and bought the bronze Steam package, and have been playing CS:S almost non stop the entire weekend. Now to think of what to do with my pre-order of HL2 at EBGames that I have already paid in full for?

EBGames doesn't charge until the product has been shipped.

HL2 has gone gold according to Vivendi Universal.

LOS ANGELES (October 18, 2004) Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) today announced that Half-Life® 2, the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed PC titles in gaming history, will ship to retail outlets around the world in November. The Company confirmed that Half-Life 2, developed by Valve Software, has gone gold with a planned retail street date of November 16, 2004. The countdown to the highly anticipated retail street date has begun around the world, as VU Games completes plans to ship localized versions of Half-Life 2 simultaneously in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Korean, Thai and Japanese.

I saw that from a newspost on planethalflife.com.

So......YEAAAAAAAAAAH!!

I know for a "FACT" the release date falls on "HALLOWEEN". I didn't tell you that though.

Oh yeah? :D

WAHOO just in time when I have tests and programs due in every class. Damn you VU. LOL :D

versello said:
EBGames doesn't charge until the product has been shipped.

You are correct if you are refering to the online portion of EBGames. I should have made it clear that I paid for mine in full at the physical retail store near me, wich is also called EBGames and not the usual Electronics Boutique. Sorry for the confusion.

Off to better things though....HL2 is GOLD! Yeah! Do us steamers get to have it earlier than the BMers?

This is Bullsh!t we have to WAIT 4 friggining long weeks, to unlock HalfLife2 :mad: Assholes I paid for the silver package, and the game is done, so unlock it already ?

Why the 4week lead time, most games after going gold are aprrox 2weeks, maybe 3weeks max, but this is over 4weeks from now

Do us steamers get to have it earlier than the BMers?

Technically...HL2 will likely be unlocked at 12am. The rest of us will have to wait and get it during the day :p

What a jip...you guys should get it now.

Labrador said:
This is Bullsh!t we have to WAIT 4 friggining long weeks, to unlock HalfLife2 :mad: Assholes I paid for the silver package, and the game is done, so unlock it already ?

Why the 4week lead time, most games after going gold are aprrox 2weeks, maybe 3weeks max, but this is over 4weeks from now

Maybe it is 4 weeks instead because of there planned world wide release, all those weird languages and stuff.

Deke said:
So I guess this wasn't a bullshit thread then... ;)

Guess not :)

hl2GG.jpg

Tiny said:
Maybe it is 4 weeks instead because of there planned world wide release, all those weird languages and stuff.

Doom3 had the same thing, it was announced official gold like mid July, and released August 2nd, just surpirsed at the greed, to hold off for the Holiday shoppers

S1nF1xx said:
What a fucking nightmare that suckfest was. Everyone at id should be drug into the street and beat with the CD's they wasted to print that pile of shit on.

id needs to stop making games. They need to focus exclusively on game engines. They have proven that after Q2 they lost the ablity to make games that don't suck.

yeah, what really pissed me off is all of the stupid scripting. oh no a dark corner i'm sure there will be a zombie there, oh a long corridor i just know 15 zombies will spawn! Not only that but on the nightmare setting they try and make it hard by having your health fall by 5 "points" like every 10 seconds!! wtf?!?!?! that just makes the game annoying, honestly couldn't they just make the enemy stronger, smarter or something? it woulda been better than what they did. :mad:

Back