Half Life 2. First 10 Minute impression

i couldn't go to bed if the frist 10 mins are the bomb like that

Ron1jed said:
which means good or bad

I thougth Jesus was perfect...thus he does not sweat.

Unless he ment 'sweet'.

Some may wonder why I am posting here since HL2 is finally released....simple, I was on the phone with my girlfriend and I completely forgot that it was going to be released tonight.....I love my girlfriend so much.

background010000.jpg

OMFG IT LOOKS UBER

Hey jerk!

DON"T POST SPOILERS!!!!!

Mean guy....I am still waiting for the unlock to finish!!!!

:mad:

But it is akin to opening a gift on Christmas morning....*sniff*.....and you took that away from me! :(

This happens in the first 5 min so it's hardly a spoiler but I guess I'll say "Spoiler alert"

Anyone else get freaked out when the Strider walks by. Man this game is gonna give me nightmares.

Played the first 40 minutes, and I can say this meets my expectations and then some. :)

All I can say is:
Revolutionary, beautiful, excellent story telling, breaks new ground, and everything I could hope for. Excellent sound, music, atmosphere. Graphics are unbelievable.

I mean, with doom3, yes the graphics rocked, but they seemed to be there for the sake of it.

This, the graphics are pretty lush (not quite up to d3 level of shininess)and everything comes together so nicely. Plus its not so feckin dark.

Very nicely polished, worth the wait.

And the combine just seem cool.

You know what, I just never really thought doom3's graphics were really that good. They looked fake and low res when you got close to them. HL2 graphics to me are the best out there.

The level of interaction is great, just about every object you can interact with. Great game but I gotta get to bed!

At first I was ackwardly stumbling around getting used to controls. But once the action started, I swear to god I thought I was the one in the situation. It's so engrossing and believeable. The environment is alive and the interaction... wow. When you jump in the water to avoid being spotted and are able to see out of it to know when you can come out. Maybe it's just the newness of it, but this is goddamn revolutionary. I'm only an hour into it (gotta sleep :rolleyes: ) so I hope the game doesn't fall into the Doom3 pittrap of the same types of interaction the entire game.

BTW, I was in the water at one point getting shot at, and the bullets flying through the water left little air bubbles exactly like a real bullet fired into water would. I'll try to get a screenshot and post it, because that just made my draw drop.

****SPOILER****

Anyone else think Gordon should stay away from Kleiner's machines for the rest of his life? I mean, what luck he has.

I dunno about avoiding klieners machines, what about that fluid? could it be part of a new super weapon? or is he cooking up some lsd?

I think it has the best graphics to date, and it seems to have an amazing setting/mood/story thusfar. i can't wait to play more tommorow. tommorow i hook it up to the HDTV/5.1 surround. :) gaming ecstacy.

played for about 1hr 30min. It looks beautiful! I recommend the ATI cataclyst 4.12 beta drivers. It was worth the wait. I was playing in the dark on my 21' Sony monitor. The gameplay, the story, the graphics are insane!

It's almost 5AM!!! I need to go to bed, I have class in the morning! Damn college! :eek:

Doom3 = Huge Piece of Shit!
Farcry = Decent Shit!

Half Life 2 = Oh My God! This is SO fuggin' fun to play, look at, and experience. Best Ever? We'll have to wait a bit longer on that one but definately the best game of the year BY FAR!

this by far blows away doom 3 in terms of shit-my-pants. and i liked doom 3 a lot! but oh my god....the story so far and action....are very fast paced....i love it....damn school tomorrow. i almsot don't want to go to the green day concert so i can play more. the graphics blow farcry away....this is...unbelievable. just wow. i still need to try out the 4.12 betas and see if it helps, my 9800pro hits some hard spots at 1024 with 2xAA

4am here, played for about an hour and a half. Great graphics, pretty good immersion into the environment, and the AI just rocks. Very fluid game.

Way better than doom3 so far...but not as scary (which is a good thing, lol)

I don't have class until 2pm, but i still have to go to bed to get sleep :(

Man, I'm so glad I d/l the game via steam.

This game just blew me outta the water. Honestly I didn't want to quit, why do I have to work tomorrow?

The gameplay is hella better than D3 (say 5x), Tons better story than Farcry (10x) and like others said, the graphics arn't quite D3 quality, but it really impressed me while playing on the Workstation in my Sig (minus the Ti4600, I have a FX5200).

Man I just can't get over it! WOW is really the only thing I can thing of. :D

Just got home from wallmart. Grabbed it on my way home from work. First one out of the box. They hadnt even opened the box yet. Wish this was on a dvd though.

Great game so far just two things I noticed. First the game still has some small issues with scripted scenes where characters start going through physical objects. Second I have only played the game for an hour and 15 mins. and it seems as if I have progressed wayyyy to much for such a short amount of play. Other than that so far an amazing game with an engine ahead of its time.

sanosuke2999 said:
Great game so far just two things I noticed. First the game still has some small issues with scripted scenes where characters start going through physical objects. Second I have only played the game for an hour and 15 mins. and it seems as if I have progressed wayyyy to much for such a short amount of play. Other than that so far an amazing game with an engine ahead of its time.

Did you leave it on easy? I changed mine to normal before I started and its pretty tough. 2hrs down here and don't seem like i'm flying through it.

holy-fucking-shit

wow

my god

*wimpper*mommy

OH FUCK, I HAVE SCHOOL!!!

ah fuck it, im still playing

^^^ this is my thought process when playing this game :p

I agree w/ Wes. Set it to normal, and the challenge is pretty standard. Just challenging enough to make it fun. :)

I was going to play easy, just to get through the storyline, but then I saw that it had auto aim, and thought to myself "Auto Aim? What is this, a PS2?", nearly choked, and set it to normal.

Any of you fools check out the magnifying glass when you get your suit? :eek: It works exactly like it should!!! I even messed around with his test equipment... :D

mini-spoiler:

Handgun seems way better than the submachine gun so far. 3-4 good shots at the manhacks with the handgun, or almost a clip from the submachine gun...

Good Gawd this game is an OPUS. If it hadn't crashed out on me i wouldn't be typing this message. Graphics are beautiful at 1280x800. Is it me or are the Combine difficult to understand? And i definitely get huge jollies from throwing the tenants shi..shtuff out the window for some reason. Beautifully crafted, insane physics!!! Intense action.

If you have been living under a rock or have decided to wait to buy it, come out of hiding, set aside your doubts. There has recently been uncovered a 13th commandment, which states "Thou shalt make haste on pilgrimage, to lands near or far, to purchase, upon the Day of Arrival and Activation. Half-Life 2 will be its name. And it will be all that is great. Do this, and ye shalt find completion."

superthrawn said:
I agree w/ Wes. Set it to normal, and the challenge is pretty standard. Just challenging enough to make it fun. :)

I was going to play easy, just to get through the storyline, but then I saw that it had auto aim, and thought to myself "Auto Aim? What is this, a PS2?", nearly choked, and set it to normal.

I thought the same exact thing, "Auto-Aim?" I don't want that bull-shit :)

So no one else is bored yet? I swear the story is almost non-existant.

**Possible Spoiler**
Basically "Spend 2 hours getting to Eli's Lab, and I'll talk to you there." I mean, seriously, I've been driving this airboat for a good half the time, and I'm bored stiff. It goes like this: Drive airboat, oops, the way is blocked, how do I get around this, a) take a jump, b) get out and go through a building to open a gate. Drive airboat somemore....

I was getting into it too. It felt immersive, but then it felt redundant, and then it felt boring.

J So said:
This happens in the first 5 min so it's hardly a spoiler but I guess I'll say "Spoiler alert"

Anyone else get freaked out when the Strider walks by. Man this game is gonna give me nightmares.

Woah!!! Wait a minute....I played for an hour and have yet to see a Strider! Where did I go wrong!!!!

I need my motherboard.......... why didnt they plan 939 PCIe around this game, so we could have it before it came out. I already own the game. But I have 4 year old dell. I hate you all.

Back