Half Life 2 Ending... warning spoilers...

Syphon Filter said:
You're messing around right?

Actually, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't even thought about until I read that.

When you're in Breen's office Breen tells you that you're a hired gun who goes to the highest bidder. The whole time Alyx tells you not to listen to him. It sounds to me like they went to the G-Man and enlisted your services.

Dijonase said:
Actually, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't even thought about until I read that.

When you're in Breen's office Breen tells you that you're a hired gun who goes to the highest bidder. The whole time Alyx tells you not to listen to him. It sounds to me like they went to the G-Man and enlisted your services.

Hrm, its certainly a possiblity. So you are saying the Freeman is an assassin and the G-man is his pimp.

Makes sense I guess. Truth is its all conjecture and speculation. But it makes interesting reading, Obviously with both you and the G-man still being alive at the end of HL2 there is scope for HL3, totally open. You have only destroyed the citadel in city 17. There must be combine forces elsewhere on earth.

Who knows...

the only thing that disappointed me about the game is this:
in the original HL you face a LOT of different creatures and enemies.
in hl2....
3 headcrabs and thier zombies
strider, gunship ant lions
combine units who basically moved left and right and ducked once in a while....
id say 10 enemies for a game that was 6 years in the making.....
the gun choices...sad so sad.

i think that the game was great in the beginning. i kept expecting more and more and relised that i was facing less and less.... i mean the head crab on that impossibe to scale wall in "our benefactors" wtih a convinient life pack. sad.

thats what disappointed me lack of content. i expected like at least 50 different things to fight with ai's that would make me feel hunted. sorry guys hl2 was a let down.

Once I beat the game I got pissed...felt as if I was playing a long ass tech demo and nothing more...

i'd give it a 75% overall...no were near the best game of all time rating that PC gamer gave it. Far Cry was better without question and left me overall much more satisfied.

Hyper_Psycho said:
can you post some hl1source ?
what is the major difference here ?

There really isn't any difference from a graphics standpoint other than gameplay being possible in all the resolutions HL2 can be played on, but many of the improvements of the source engine translate into the HL1 source. The water looks just like from HL2, and the sound quality has been drastically improved with support for both 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. The explosions also look a bit more real and different. Basically, they took the original half life and ported it to the new source engine, which gives it a different feel.

What if the train at the end of HL1 is the train from HL2? You're already rolling into HL2 at the end of HL1, already at the end of a slow warp into city 17 when you take the G-Man's offer?

Man I need some sleep :(

kpedge said:
What if the train at the end of HL1 is the train from HL2? You're already rolling into HL2 at the end of HL1, already at the end of a slow warp into city 17 when you take the G-Man's offer?

Man I need some sleep :(

thats a good question ... tho
wouldt gordon be like yo , lets not open this protal sh*t son !
hmmm i wonder why he never talks

but why the hell is the suit ready for him ? no one else is wearing an outdated portal opening suit in the whole friggin game ? ?????

junehhan said:
There really isn't any difference from a graphics standpoint other than gameplay being possible in all the resolutions HL2 can be played on, but many of the improvements of the source engine translate into the HL1 source. The water looks just like from HL2, and the sound quality has been drastically improved with support for both 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. The explosions also look a bit more real and different. Basically, they took the original half life and ported it to the new source engine, which gives it a different feel.

I see ... so nothing that fantstic but interesting enough to give it a try ?
cool
no improvements in the AI ?
sexier looking guns ?

Syphon Filter said:
Hrm, its certainly a possiblity. So you are saying the Freeman is an assassin and the G-man is his pimp.

Makes sense I guess. Truth is its all conjecture and speculation. But it makes interesting reading, Obviously with both you and the G-man still being alive at the end of HL2 there is scope for HL3, totally open. You have only destroyed the citadel in city 17. There must be combine forces elsewhere on earth.

Who knows...

city 17 ... so atleast 16 more
or this could be like the matrix
where the first 1 failed and the other 5 - 6 were destroyed !!! hehe

Archaea said:
i'd give it a 75% overall...no were near the best game of all time rating that PC gamer gave it. Far Cry was better without question and left me overall much more satisfied.

Honestly, Far Cry got kind of boring after the initial shock and awe effect of the graphics wore off. HL2 managed to really keep you engaged in the action, although the story was incoherent, and the ending just totally pissed me off. In a couple months from now when I decide on which game to replay, HL2 would probably get chosen simply because it kept me entertained throughout a larger part of the game. Of course, i'm the one who would give Doom 3 95%, Far Cry 80%, and HL2 80%

Same difference.

-driller

Syphon Filter said:
The G-man doesnt stop time. He puts you into a slow warp. There is a difference. Time passes more slowly for you than the rest of the world is what is going on i believe.

I agree, Half-Life was a far superior game.

-driller

Blakk said:
the only thing that disappointed me about the game is this:
in the original HL you face a LOT of different creatures and enemies.
in hl2....
3 headcrabs and thier zombies
strider, gunship ant lions
combine units who basically moved left and right and ducked once in a while....
id say 10 enemies for a game that was 6 years in the making.....
the gun choices...sad so sad.

i think that the game was great in the beginning. i kept expecting more and more and relised that i was facing less and less.... i mean the head crab on that impossibe to scale wall in "our benefactors" wtih a convinient life pack. sad.

thats what disappointed me lack of content. i expected like at least 50 different things to fight with ai's that would make me feel hunted. sorry guys hl2 was a let down.

Mindriot said:
I forgot to add one thing in my above response. I don't think Alyx "Bites it", like you implied. I think she is in the same "suspension that you are in at the end, because when that things is destroyed that's when the G-man starts talking to you again.Telling you you will be called upon again in the future So, I think she's there for the ride with you until HL3.

lets hope so ... thats one attractive piece of digital ass.

junehhan said:
Of course, i'm the one who would give Doom 3 95%, Far Cry 80%, and HL2 80%

Heretic, this one needs to be strung up dismembered and his parts used for the strogg invasion force, which is on its way (cant wait).

:D

driller said:
Same difference.

-driller

No I disagree. Time is still passing for the rest of the world. Remember in the actual game when you teleport and dont arrive until a week later. Things were still carrying on in the real world. Like at the end of half life 1. You are put into a slow warp until you are needed again. But things carried on in the real world. Thats my understanding of the situation.

Hyper_Psycho said:
but why the hell is the suit ready for him ? no one else is wearing an outdated portal opening suit in the whole friggin game ? ?????

The suit is ready for him because they've been waiting for him. They paid the G-Man for his services and now he's here to save the day. This is never really spelled out but if you replay the scene in Breen's office I find it to be the most likely situation.

Dijonase said:
The suit is ready for him because they've been waiting for him. They paid the G-Man for his services and now he's here to save the day. This is never really spelled out but if you replay the scene in Breen's office I find it to be the most likely situation.

why does the resistance have more money than breen+friends ?

hmmm
did they pay g man with somethine else ?

gman for wold learder 2015 !

Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

Honestly, Far Cry got kind of boring after the initial shock and awe effect of the graphics wore off. HL2 managed to really keep you engaged in the action, although the story was incoherent, and the ending just totally pissed me off. In a couple months from now when I decide on which game to replay, HL2 would probably get chosen simply because it kept me entertained throughout a larger part of the game. Of course, i'm the one who would give Doom 3 95%, Far Cry 80%, and HL2 80%
I disagree, what keeps your interest is the ANTICIPATION of something good happening. after a while you realize that your gonna face headcrabs zombies and combine soldiers.

i mean heck they could have thrown in votagons; had you face waaaayy mor types of enemies. truly the game bombed. if i had to rate the overall experience
ie
stemas bugs the horrid stuttering, the weak enemy ai ( the marines in HL1 were better than the combine) the game bombed.
To sum up. hl2 was supposed to in our hands a year ago.a LOT of us bought ati 9600 xt and 9800 and xt's for the "free" HL2" then we got ripped off and had to wait
THEn the coupons are the bottom barrel bundle CS source and HL2 big whoop Hardocp called CS source a bad beta.
Steam ...nuff said. i could go on but why bother. I feels some people wont call hl2 the dud it is cause it would taint a truly great game HL1.

Blakk said:
I disagree, what keeps your interest is the ANTICIPATION of something good happening. after a while you realize that your gonna face headcrabs zombies and combine soldiers.

i mean heck they could have thrown in votagons; had you face waaaayy mor types of enemies. truly the game bombed. if i had to rate the overall experience
ie
stemas bugs the horrid stuttering, the weak enemy ai ( the marines in HL1 were better than the combine) the game bombed.
To sum up. hl2 was supposed to in our hands a year ago.a LOT of us bought ati 9600 xt and 9800 and xt's for the "free" HL2" then we got ripped off and had to wait
THEn the coupons are the bottom barrel bundle CS source and HL2 big whoop Hardocp called CS source a bad beta.
Steam ...nuff said. i could go on but why bother. I feels some people wont call hl2 the dud it is cause it would taint a truly great game HL1.

now the root of your hate for valve comes out. you bought a 9600xt in anticipation of hl2 being released last year. it didn't get released. activateValveGrudge(int negative_bias) and no matter how good hl2 would be, you would always hate what valve put out because you feel you got screwed last year.

Actualy I did not get screwed. I bought the card in my sig for 150 bucks it didnt come with the hl2 coupon. I was prepared to buy it.I was fortunate tho a very good bud gave me his coupon, after buying his xt, when I ssid We i was refeing to the gaming comunity. or should i say to all those who bought the cards with the coupons.

Dijonase said:

Not to mention that time when you can look through that telescope and see gman talking to the guys at the resistance hq.

I didn't like the Citadel. Way to easy.
I was hoping the reactor at the end would suck you into the aliens world.
The menu made it look like the 15th level was something special, not just the credits. :rolleyes:

Stereophile said:
I didn't like the Citadel. Way to easy.
The menu made it look like the 15th level was something special, not just the credits. :rolleyes:

play it on hardest setting dude
its mega fun

Stereophile said:
Uhm I did ?

Thats what you think, you gotta keep tapping left ctrl while sliding your mouse in a circle 5 times then the super-uber-hard mode unlocks.

inotocracy said:
Thats what you think, you gotta keep tapping left ctrl while sliding your mouse in a circle 5 times then the super-uber-hard mode unlocks.
hell yeah

Stereophile said:

I totally agree. I bet Valve decided against something like that since the portion of HL1 that was almost universally hated were the levels in Xen.

I loved the Xen levels and was hoping for something similar, but I didn't expect it to happen for the afformentioned reason.

all i know is, i never thought i wasted my money until the end. they could have strung it out a little more i think.

levels 1-13 = 50.00
level 14 = -50.01

damn you valve i want my penny

inotocracy said:
Not to mention that time when you can look through that telescope and see gman talking to the guys at the resistance hq.

Interesting. Where was this? I don't remember a telescope. I have to admit the only time I saw the G-man in the game was on a TV in hallway of one of the buildings in the City. How many times did others see him?

Luthorcrow said:
Interesting. Where was this? I don't remember a telescope. I have to admit the only time I saw the G-man in the game was on a TV in hallway of one of the buildings in the City. How many times did others see him?

It was when you had the buggy/jeep. Not really sure but it was in a broken down structure, I believe a house and there were a few combines guarding it. I think very shortly after you left their hq with the buggy. You can see him and someone from the resistance having a conversation then he walks off and G-Man follows him, they were talking ontop of a building with a broken down dome.

I saw him a butt-load of times, the one I found to be the most interesting was if you peaked behind this crack in the train you could see him walking slowly off, that made me believe that Valve put a lot of work into this game just because not a lot of people would have seen that (only the real anal ones who explore every single nook and cranny).

Dijonase said:
I totally agree. I bet Valve decided against something like that since the portion of HL1 that was almost universally hated were the levels in Xen.

I loved the Xen levels and was hoping for something similar, but I didn't expect it to happen for the afformentioned reason.

I absolutely hated those Xen levels in the original half life. However, I would have preferred Xen like levels to the ending tha we got currently, since I just don't like cliff-hanger endings. I like to feel a sense of finality when I finish a game. The ending of a game is supposed to make you feel good, not leave you with a big hole in the story. Thank goodness the rest of the game was so good and fun to play. The air-boat levels alone were worth the money IMHO.

Interesting. I will have to look for that on my replay on hard. I explored quite a bit but I guess I was mainly looking for ammo and health.

By the way, when you say train, do you mean the first train ride or one of the various stationary train yards throughout the game. A bunch of times. So over a dozen? Christ I can't belieave I missed that many sightings.

Luthorcrow said:
Interesting. I will have to look for that on my replay on hard. I explored quite a bit but I guess I was mainly looking for ammo and health.

By the way, when you say train, do you mean the first train ride or one of the various stationary train yards throughout the game. A bunch of times. So over a dozen? Christ I can't belieave I missed that many sightings.

I think it was right after the first snipers you see in a train yard, the trains are placed perfectly to keep you from going forward and if you peak through a crack you can see him walking.

sounds like this thread would be good if it had some screeners... i remember in the prison i was flipping through the security camera screen and i saw him fixing his tie in the glass and then walking away behind some closed doors.

One thing I wanted more of were some HUGE monsters to face, kind of like in the first game. I know, random request, but it makes sense to me.

kpedge said:
One thing I wanted more of were some HUGE monsters to face, kind of like in the first game. I know, random request, but it makes sense to me.

When in the first game did you face HUGE monsters? Well, I guess you faced the final boss and the big spider thing just before that, but other than that what HUGE monsters were there? I felt like the striders and those damned flying things filled the HUGE monster part very well.

Dijonase said:
When in the first game did you face HUGE monsters? Well, I guess you faced the final boss and the big spider thing just before that, but other than that what HUGE monsters were there? I felt like the striders and those damned flying things filled the HUGE monster part very well.

The three tenatcle thing in HL1, and the huge two legged walker that you had to electrocute- those were really good. You make a great point about the striders- to be honest, I was too busy running away from them to really "enjoy" getting a good look. :) But didn't anyone feel like the final battle was slightly flat? Spoiler..

Dodge the airships while shooting a mostly stationary target. I don't know- maybe the last battle in HL1 was a little better. Overall I really enjoyed the game though.

kpedge said:
The three tenatcle thing in HL1, and the huge two legged walker that you had to electrocute- those were really good. You make a great point about the striders- to be honest, I was too busy running away from them to really "enjoy" getting a good look. :) But didn't anyone feel like the final battle was slightly flat? Spoiler..

Dodge the airships while shooting a mostly stationary target. I don't know- maybe the last battle in HL1 was a little better. Overall I really enjoyed the game though.

Damn, I forgot about those three green tentacle things. I love that part. Plus I think a couple of them showed up again later. And then there was that big armored thing that shot fire from its arms. So I guess HL1 did have its fair share of HUGE enemies.

And yeah, while I liked the ending itself the final battle was a bit anti-climactic. I only played it on normal but it wasn't really all that difficult at all. I wish that blasting the teleporter would have caused the thing to malfunction and get you sucked through the portal and drop you someplace like Xen. I loved the end of the original, but like I said earlier most reviewers (and regular joes) seem to have hated Xen and I doubt Valve would add something in that nearly everyone hated the first time around.

kpedge said:

What and leave the job half done? No, you have to take out the airships first if you want to respect yourself while watching the credits.

It was an easy ending but I have to admit the way that whole love was very cool. Particular with the way the gravity gun changes at the start. I remember earlier game scratching my head as to what the justification was for the grav gun not to work bodies? What human flesh is immune to zero point effects?

Back