half life 2 download

mike6099

Limp Gawd
Just a quick question, i though this might be the most appropriate place to ask it... If I buy HL2 from a person on ebay /w the cd's can I use the key and just download it off of steam? Or does the cd version actually need the cd's (I'd rather not pay for shipping if i can' dl it)

thanks!

Mike

Syndicated_Death said:
for the cd version you do need to have the cd in the drive
I thought a patch stopped the cd check?
I know CS:S works without the CD, but I'm not sure about hl2

I sold someone my CD's a while ago and they had to wait until the actual Cd's arrived before they could complete installation, and this was after valves no-cd patch.

Aslong as they didn't already register the CD-key to their Steam account...

A cd image works, but I believe there is a $10 dollar fee to get the game trasfered from one steam account to another.

If your buying HL2 to play, i'd get a NEW copy from a store and make sure its sealed.

If your buying HL2 just for the CDs and already have it on your steam account, then what the heck...go for it

if you buy a used copy of HL2 and you plan on using the CD Key, theres a 95% chance its already in use.

I don't have half life 2 registered on steam, but I do have an unused cd key that can be used to install half life 2, which can be used to register it on steam (once installed) It is sort a chicken & egg scenario...

I need a way to download the game so I can register it via steam

-mike

Just install steam, register the CD-Key, then Right click on HL-2 and hit install.

I did install steam, but it wno't let me register it until i install halflife 2 (I have a retail key)

I also have a retail key that came with cds, and it just downloaded and installed for me when I registered the cd key to my account.

i have hl2, bought it retail, and unless i misread your conversation,

Is there a really valve produced, legit, no cd patch? im online with a lan so steam is always goin, id love not to have to move the cd in and out, itd be nice to put it with the rest of the retail box for safe keeping,

thanks again,
-P

One of the upgrades that steam downloads took out the CD check for the retail version.

ok iono if htis has been ansered yet but i HAVE a cd key thats can be useed....but i dont have the disk because it asks for it..... and i d/l an image off bear share but it was in some wierd upsidedown question mark language....so i guess steam didnt recognize it as a valid CD some one please help i reall ywant to play

BUY IT NEW.

Wow I can't imagine myself buying off ebay HL2.... there's a great chance your gonna get screwed.... just buy it new and don't worry about the hassle..

Maybe nobody's helping you because it's obvious that you're attempting to pirate the game? I dunno, just a wild guess there.

The only thing you really need is the CD key itself. The disks are there just so you don't have to download all of HL2 off Steam if you don't want to...

how am i pirating the game when i have a legit cd key? just no disk

How does that situation end up happening, unless you stole the cd key from a store copy? Once you register the CD key to your Steam account, you don't need the CDs any more...you can download the data from the Steam servers as much as you want.

The only way I can imagine your situation being legitimate is if you bought a CD copy, but never got around to installing it, for some bizarre reason. Then, all of a sudden, you decide you want to play the game...but all of the game CDs, and not the manual, have vanished into the depths of your house? Forgive me if there's something that I missed here.

ahh...ok like the key isnt registered yet so i would have to do that B4 i click and download and install

Back