Half Life 2 and a LAN only setup here in Iraq.

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been busy the last couple of weeks helping the MWR setup two LAN's over here in Iraq. These LAN's will not have internet connectivity due to the cost involved. I need to find a way to get Half Life 2 up and running on these systems, legally, of course. They purchased enough copies of the games.

My problem is further hampered by my lack of internet access, as www.steampowered.com is blocked by the military network.

First problem: Can someone please visit steampowered.com and hook me up with an email address for someone there I can talk to. Tech support, whatever.

Second problem: Is it possible to copy my account information from my laptop, which has HL2 installed and activated, to each of the systems on the LAN? This is the question I will be asking Tech support, assuming nobody here can answer satisfactorly.

For the trolls, understand I am not trying to rip off Valve...the game has been purchased in satisfactory numbers, I just need a way to get it running for the troops.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

I didn't find anything off of steampowered.com, but this is from valvesoftware.com:
contact information
telephone
425-889-9642

fax
425-827-4843

postal address
PO BOX 1688

BELLEVUE WA 98009

electronic mail
info: [email protected]
jobs: [email protected]
sdk: [email protected]
cybercafe information: [email protected]
webmaster: [email protected]

Steam: For more information regarding Steam, please go to www.steampowered.com

EDIT: Bellevue Washington? huh... that's close to where I live, never knew that.

If altavista isn't blocked you may wanna try their babelfish translation of steampowered.com from english to english...that technique was able to get past the "WebSense" firewall that
was used at my work.

google "coralize"... might help. (with viewing steampowered) might get you fired for trying to bypass the network, too, and might not work depending on how steampowered is blocked, but could work.

i think the general consensus when that happens is "oh well, better luck next time" but they may be willing to do something special for you (and should, IMO) because of your situation.

good luck.

Best bet is to probably talk to the "cybercafe" contact.

I would contact them by phone if you can with those contact #'s posted above.

I'd think that Valve would do all they can over the phone to help our guys/girls over in Iraq get a little R&R with some HL2 Deathmatch or CS:S.

I'm sure they would, but they would most likely just say Use the offline mode function on your computer. Which isn't really difficult neither. Just make sure every computer logged in once and has saved username and password, then disconnect internet, and start up steam again and it'll ask if you want to use offline mode.

Damnit, [H] wasn't available last night, sorry I'm so late in replying.

I take it that nobody has an answer as to copying my info into the LAN systems to run them without activation, since nobody addressed that.

Thanks CreamySoup (interesting name), I think I'll try the cyber cafe address, thats the most likely source.

Thanks for the network bypassing info guys...I'll give it a try, although the sites themselves are probably blocked.

Kpedge, that was me dude. Thanks though.

I will be using the offline mode, but they have to contact the web at least once, before offline mode is available. That just isn't possible.

LSA Anaconda AMD_Gamer. Mortaritaville, although it has quieted down considerably lately. Bastards are running out of ammo, and what they do have doesn't work to well.

I was over in Iraq during the invasion and we didnt even have computers. Wow how the times have changed. The Military has computers fast enough to play HL2 and play in a lan? Your in the Air Force arent you?

What is the point playing CS in Iraq when you can drive to the nearest city and play it there for real with real-life weapons and enemies. I know that for me that would be much more exciting ... except that respawn period is way too long ...

akanafene said:
What is the point playing CS in Iraq when you can drive to the nearest city and play it there for real with real-life weapons and enemies. I know that for me that would be much more exciting ... except that respawn period is way too long ...

sadly, real life is COMPLETELY different than cs. Anyone who has been in Iraq or in any war can tell you that. you get hit, you go down... theres no "I still have 1 health, I can run full speed and shoot acurately."

ReconSniper said:
I was over in Iraq during the invasion and we didnt even have computers. Wow how the times have changed. The Military has computers fast enough to play HL2 and play in a lan? Your in the Air Force arent you?

Actually, just the opposite. The two recreation centers the LAN's are in have fairly new Dells and are for all of the forces, but the primary users are Army. The Air Force has their own recreation center, but it has some old systems that don't even have 3d cards in them and aren't networked at all. I checked them out and they could barely handle the original Unreal Tournament in software mode.

Also, I'm here as a civilian contractor, not military.

Yeah, I'm a network administrator, fresh out of receiving my CCNA.

Very good money, 6 figures.

But we have strayed quite a bit from the topic here: running steam without activating it. I'm still open to suggestions, besides hacks. If anyone knows how to copy my account information over, that would be a good start.

hmm if you dont mind using the hacked versions you can play those because they run stand alone without steam.

Back