Half-height H77, Q77 mobos

myren

Limp Gawd
Oooohhhh boy oh boy, did ya'll catch this? Half height ITX mobo rocking H77 and Q77 chips!
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/19/gigabyte-shows-off-half-height-itx-boards/

And is it just me, or this that a PCIe 3.0 16x slot on the side of it? Dual HDMI, dual-band onboard wifi (or just diversity? who knows), dual lan ports: so nice!

I'd love to see this used in a thin build! Not super related, but Bryan Vyhmeister of brycv had a build using an Intel DQ77KB, Core i7 3770S, and Lian Li PC-Q05B that got me thinking about this, with it's beautiful heat piped CPU.
http://brycv.com/blog/2012/the-case-for-thin-mini-itx-and-intel-dq77kb/

There's still a ton of room inside that Q05B, and that's with a regular Mini-ITX. The configuration of the Q-05 isn't right, but with a half height mini-itx board and a 90 degree riser, something about that size/form factor could certainly be a killer pizza box GPU toting monster: eat your heart out, server blades!

The editor of that article should be taken out back and shot.

Anything particularly offensive about this particular Charlie Demerjian article (on the mobo), or are you expressing general angst? I'd love some backstory on why he's so broadly disliked: he's not always right, he's a little cocky, he expresses a lot of biases, but I don't know many journalist types willing to go digging around in the dirt like he does. He seems like a bit of a pariah figure, and I'm not sure what he's done to earn it.

Or am I completely far afield here?

Last edited:
If there had been a smaller version of that Q05 case, say with no room for anything but the board - I'd be drooling all over the place right now.

I immediately stopped drooling once I saw how humongous that case actually is :(

This form-factor + an X16 PCI-E slot + a low riser + an M350-like case = pocket gaming machine! O_O

Frankly I dont see the PCIE connector on that thin mobo. The H77N has certainly got one. It would be nice to see one for configurations like HP Z1 and case like Q05 to accomodate all the components.
The connector on the Z1 looks proprietary or MXM.
Three power adapters for mobo, monitor and GPU if populated the slot or use internal mini 1U long PSU 250W along the mobo?
the case would loom weird flat and kind of big. Like pizza box you said.

And is it just me, or this that a PCIe 3.0 16x slot on the side of it? Dual HDMI, dual-band onboard wifi (or just diversity? who knows), dual lan ports: so nice!

Gigabyte_ITX.jpg

This appears to be a standard ITX motherboard. The two thin boards do not have a PCI-Ex slot on them, not that I can see anyway.

Anything particularly offensive about this particular Charlie Demerjian article (on the mobo), or are you expressing general angst? I'd love some backstory on why he's so broadly disliked: he's not always right, he's a little cocky, he expresses a lot of biases, but I don't know many journalist types willing to go digging around in the dirt like he does. He seems like a bit of a pariah figure, and I'm not sure what he's done to earn it.

Or am I completely far afield here?

Don't know the guy, but his English and proofreading are crap... that's what I was referring to. One example of which is the large picture of a standard-height ITX motherboard front and center in the article, and the same name on the two Gigabyte motherboards (I'm guessing he meant one to be H77 and one to be Q77 or Z77?):

The article said:
the two below are the GA-H77N-WiFi and the GA-H77N-WiFi.

Gigabyte_ITX.jpg

This appears to be a standard ITX motherboard. The two thin boards do not have a PCI-Ex slot on them, not that I can see anyway.

It's nothing personal against the guy, he should really just run the article past another set of eyes before he posts it, or if he does, that person (the editor) should be taken out back and shot :p :D

Ho, sorry, it's just mini-itx form factor, that's all. Looks like a nice board at least. :D

Back