HAL.DLL corruption increasing

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
In the past month I have seen an increase of hal.dll missing or corrupt issues with Windows XP. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Also, is there an easy way to fix it, i have tried doing a clean install to a new windows directory, then copy the hal.dll to the old windows install on the same PC, but i still can not get these things to boot up.

nothing should be writing to the hal.dll. This could be a couple things:

rootkit or something messing with the dll and corrupting the file.
hard drive failing and causing corrupt reads.
ide chipset failing and causing corrupt reads.
Other hardware failure - ram, mobo, cpu, etc.

Are you overclocking?

No overclocking, they are business PC's.

4 have failed this month, one was confirmed as a bad HDD.

the other 3, i just had to reinstall the OS and they were fine. Just strange having 4 in the past month, and before that, mayby 1 in the last year

Wow...I don't think I've ever..ever...seen a hosed hal.dll.
I've seen user/config and HIVE issues...often a drive about to jump off the cliff. System32 directory gets worked hard, so if a drive is beginning to fail...that area can show corruption.

How large is the network, where youv'e have several over the past month?

Same make/model PC?

I'm trying to find what's in common here...as IMO hal.dll errors are rare, so have several in the past month is very odd.

I'm sorry k1pp3r, I'm afraid I can't do that. I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

I'm sorry k1pp3r, I'm afraid I can't do that. I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

I don't know a Frank, i'm thinking this is a joke, but im confused:confused:

How large is the network, where youv'e have several over the past month?

Same make/model PC?

I'm trying to find what's in common here...as IMO hal.dll errors are rare, so have several in the past month is very odd.

Thats the strange thing. its happened at 4 different clients. They were HP's and Dell's. The only similarity are windows updates are pushed at the same time, and windows XP pro.

Dagnabbin' youngins these days!

Go watch 2001: A Space Odyssey :-P

Ya know, i had the option to watch it in middle school. But it required parent permission (which i forgot to ask for lol) and i just didn't want to watch it anyway.

I'm 27 btw lol,

Ya know, i had the option to watch it in middle school. But it required parent permission (which i forgot to ask for lol) and i just didn't want to watch it anyway.

I'm 27 btw lol,

HAL 9000 is a computer with super-intelligence in that movie. You definitely should watch it. It's a classic sci-fi show.

But staying on topic, I've had HAL problems on XP about maybe 5 years ago and I vaguely recall struggling with it to a point where I just gave up and reinstalled.

would dialafix fix it as well? try giving it a scan if windows xp.

** my reply for rootkits has link to dialafix, my hands are to pooped to retype everything today**

try my minipack let me know if you need help.
http://www.5secondnews.com/3/post/2009/09/roes-minipack-v4-released.html

steps a-c should take 30min or less.... sometimes sophos runs for a long time, after about 10 min, i often stop it, remove its suggestions that i know must be removed, when im done for the day i will go back and finish a full scan.

i would do this:
a. ccleaner to reduce scan time/files to scan
-run temper as well if multiuser machine
b. hijack this>paste log into the website i have in the minipack>fix/remove the red-x issues found on the site.
c. run sophos antirootkit carefully removing only the non-legit files. example: UAC in windows xp as a service is a red flag that it would be a virus since XP doesn't have UAC, then you would remove all related files in sophos... however something lets say a file you created and are 100% certain does not have a virus, would not need to be removed.
d. finish with malwarebytes full scan again from malwarebytes.org
e. afterwards if winxp check out dialafix (if you have ie8 uncheck the ie stuff and SSL), this will help repair damaged files
f. check for windows updates windowsupdate.com

Back