Hal.dll corrupt or missing!

Toby

n00b
I ran Nero's cleaning tool (to delete Nero Ultimate), and when I rebooted, it said "hal.dll" was corrupt.

I also tried booting from a Windows installation CD to see if I could install a new copy of Windows into a separate folder to copy a new uncorrupted hal.dll, but booting from CD wouldn't work either!

Unfortunately, most of my data was stored on a RAID 0 interface - if I reinstall Windows onto another drive, is there a way I can add both RAID drives and open them to extract the files? Or is there any way to save the files from the RAID?

Thanks.

Most of the time when I tried to boot from CD it would say the media was unavailable. I tried a few different XP CDs in each of my DVD drives, and eventually one worked (not the one I installed with, one of my roommates' copies).

Even when it DID detect the disc, It would say "krnlme.exe is corrupt, error code 7" something along those lines.

So I left it alone for a few hours and came back with the same CD in the drive and just pushed the power button - it went into Windows and works fine! So I searched my comp for "hal.dll" to see if it was merely accessing thoe file through the startup CD - I couldn't find an instance of hal.dll on my computer. I think if I reboot again it won't get back into windows.

Most fixes mentioned entering the Recovery Console, which I was unable to do, but I read something about fixing the problem if you can get back into windows - like, go to the command prompt and/or edit boot.ini (I think they ended up deleting boot.ini and then typing "BOOTCFG /REBUILD"
http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

Apparently lots of people had the corrupt or missing hal.dll file... in 2005. I'll try the editing of the boot.ini later.

Most of the time when I tried to boot from CD it would say the media was unavailable. I tried a few different XP CDs in each of my DVD drives, and eventually one worked (not the one I installed with, one of my roommates' copies).

Even when it DID detect the disc, It would say "krnlme.exe is corrupt, error code 7" something along those lines.

So I left it alone for a few hours and came back with the same CD in the drive and just pushed the power button - it went into Windows and works fine! So I searched my comp for "hal.dll" to see if it was merely accessing thoe file through the startup CD - I couldn't find an instance of hal.dll on my computer. I think if I reboot again it won't get back into windows.

Most fixes mentioned entering the Recovery Console, which I was unable to do, but I read something about fixing the problem if you can get back into windows - like, go to the command prompt and/or edit boot.ini (I think they ended up deleting boot.ini and then typing "BOOTCFG /REBUILD"
http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

Apparently lots of people had the corrupt or missing hal.dll file... in 2005. I'll try the editing of the boot.ini later.

Sometmes its a virus or spyware doing it, do a good cleaning of the machine

I recommend trying to run Memtest. Sounds like a bad stick to me.

You think it might be the memory? It doesn't crash or anything, it just can't find a dll file (the file actually doesn't exist on my comp, usually there are several instances of hal.dll on Windows... supposedly).

Hmmm... I don't want to reboot until I can fix it

the last time HAL got corrupted, David Bowman's crew got killed off. You better get that fixed soon.

Sometmes its a virus or spyware doing it, do a good cleaning of the machine

I'm now in the same boat.

Don't mean to be an asshole- but how the fuck do I do a good cleaning when I can't get the machine to boot up or even fart? :confused:

Luckily I have my laptop to work with until I get my main machine up and running..

most of my data was stored on a RAID 0 interface
I never figured out why people insist on making their data less safe, for very little or no gain...but I digress. If you plan to ever use RAID0 in the future, store user data on a 3rd, non-RAIDed drive, simply because it is easier to recover in a non-booting system.

Anywho, the recovery console should always be installed locally as well, for situations such as this. You need to figure out why your PC isn't booting from CDs, because that's how you'll need to fix this. Once it does, you can try fixboot from the Recovery Console. If that doesn't work, do a full repair install, and reload all the updates from Windows update. You may need your RAID drivers handy for this as well.

Back