• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HAF 922 x58 Build

Rucker61

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
264
I spent some time looking for the right case for my x58 build. Costs quickly dictated that it would have to be an aircooled solution, and I wanted something that would fit in the 21" vertical space in my recording desk. After my research I decided upon the new Cooler Master HAF 922. It's a good looking case but, like some, I really didn't care for the non-black interior. I've read enough here to see that a simple paint job with some Rustoleum should solve that problem.

I have just completed an Antec 300/AMD build that I also painted. The Antec was easy enough to mask prior to painting, but when I looked to do the same with the HAF I realized that masking wouldn't be so easy. I was considering disassembly and researched here what that (and reassembly) would entail when I realized I already own a rivet gun. How hard could it be, right?

Before:

Doors off, ready for drilling out of the rivets:

3636357102_fe74e38264.jpg


Drilled apart:


3636357148_b90926e817.jpg


Interestingly, four connection points were screws, not rivets, and they held the top of the motherboard tray to the case.

During:

Primed with one coat Rustoleum primer:

3636357162_8ac5898ed2.jpg


First coat of paint:

3635420705_d868ac9b38.jpg


After:

Reassembled, waiting for parts.

3636357034_8ac212f05e.jpg


3636235220_5401c268cb.jpg



Parts:

EVGA x58 SLI Motherboard
Intel i920 D0 CPU
3 x 2 OCZ Platinum 1600MHz RAM
Corsair 850TX PSU
EVGA 275GTX SLI
2 x WD 74GB Raptor RAID 0
WD 320GB 7200RPM HDD
HP DVD writer
6 Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM case fans
Megahalems CPU cooler

More to come.
 
Last edited:
I chose this case for pretty much the same reasons. Sadly, I was too impatient to paint it 1st, but I think I would still like to. Was it difficult to re-rivet it and keep everything lined up?
 
Now I wish I painted mine....

You'll have to tell me how those scythe slipstream fans sound relative to stock cooling...I've been meaning to replace or just add a couple fans to my case.
 
Back
Top