had to shut down my rigs today

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
Its just too damn hot in my room.....the AC never shuts off..

I first tried shutting down just one rig last week.....didn't help much....

Ill be back in the fall....have no fear...

sweet....thanks for letting me mow you in the mean time :D

sweet....thanks for letting me mow you in the mean time :D
Hah......I'll only be down about a month...plus I still have one rig at work that puts out a measly 6K PD....so you better mow quickly...:)

Ill pop up soon enough on you....roughly 3m away...but it seems my production outpaces you....for now

Hah......I'll only be down about a month...plus I still have one rig at work that puts out a measly 6K PD....so you better mow quickly...:)

Its just too damn hot in my room.....the AC never shuts off..

I'm right with you there. It has been so bad that it is even hot in my basement unless we keep the AC running 24/7. The $300 power bill hurts my "buy new toys" fund quite a bit.

I'm right with you there. It has been so bad that it is even hot in my basement unless we keep the AC running 24/7. The $300 power bill hurts my "buy new toys" fund quite a bit.

My house is a small little 2 bedroom cape cod house and I just got my electric bill last month at a whopping $410. This is going to really hurt me bad as my house is horribly insulated and there isn't a thing I can do about it right now. I thought that $350 bill last year in July was bad, but this is just catastrophic to my budget right now.

I suppose it could be worse as a buddy of mine with a 5 bedroom McMansion just got her electric bill of $700 for last month. That house has like 3 central air compressor units.

yeah.. my 2 BTC rigs melted a power strip yesterday..

Listen if you melted a power strip then I suspect it was seriously overloaded. Be careful and check out the amperage your using. Most strips are rated at about 15a. Please be careful we don't need to read about any fires.

You need a better power strip, like the one I made for my workstation. :D

I sometimes doubt that some of these cheap low end power strips can even handle 15 amps continuous load as they are rated. Some even have 16awg power cords!

It's been crazy hot here too, though crazy hot here too. I've been able to keep my rigs chugging, but that's just because I work all day so I'm never home and don't really care how hot it gets. I have a portable AC unit I use to keep my office cool for the few hours I spend in it per day.

My office hit +30 today, I turned on the AC and closed the door and waited half an hour before going in. It's nice to have a 1 ton AC for a 80 square foot room. :D

Ill trade ya.....our bill last month was $520.00..This month its $650.00....:)

Its supposed to cool off in a few days, so i might be OK soon....

I suppose it could be worse as a buddy of mine with a 5 bedroom McMansion just got her electric bill of $700 for last month. That house has like 3 central air compressor units.

We have 2 units cooling 3700 Sq feet.....freaking power is expensive these days...

Ouch. Ouch and double Ouch. I only thought that my power bill was high. :(

Listen if you melted a power strip then I suspect it was seriously overloaded. Be careful and check out the amperage your using. Most strips are rated at about 15a. Please be careful we don't need to read about any fires.

Yeah.. it was a 15.. was also an old crappy Radioshack one..

Have upped it to a line fused @25 with a much better surge protector this time around.
It handled 15 for a few weeks, but I it must been hovering that line for a while.. All good now. but affixed smoke detector next to case just in case.

Yeah.. it was a 15.. was also an old crappy Radioshack one..

Have upped it to a line fused @25 with a much better surge protector this time around.
It handled 15 for a few weeks, but I it must been hovering that line for a while.. All good now. but affixed smoke detector next to case just in case.

Haha, that is awesome as only a hardcore folder would feel the need to put a smoke detector close to their stuff.

Puff the Magic Smoke Detector. You could market that...get Monster to sell it for $79.99 a piece. :)

Ouch. Ouch and double Ouch. I only thought that my power bill was high. :(

No kidding. My highest bill was close to $200, a year or so back, and it's because I cranked a 4800w heater's thermostat way too high under the crawlspace and I kinda forgot about it.:p

Personally I don't care much for surge protectors. Love the idea of a smoke detector next to the rig though.
In my farm I run all machines off a large UPS. It constantly monitors the line voltage and kicks in any time the V goes out of spec. Hence my machines NEVER see a voltage spike or brown out. Speaking of browns, you know of course that a surge protector doesn't do a thing to help low voltage.

You would be surprised how many times a week my UPS kicks in cause the voltage from the power company falls out of spec... kind of scary actually.

Course in 10 years now of running 24/7 I haven't lost a machine. I'm just sayin...

Puff the Magic Smoke Detector. You could market that...get Monster to sell it for $79.99 a piece. :)

Heh, I actually have a couple Monster surge protectors around the house. The prices wern't too bad as I needed a surge protector and BB(before I started my boycott of them) and they were out of the regular ones.

Personally I don't care much for surge protectors. Love the idea of a smoke detector next to the rig though.
In my farm I run all machines off a large UPS. It constantly monitors the line voltage and kicks in any time the V goes out of spec. Hence my machines NEVER see a voltage spike or brown out. Speaking of browns, you know of course that a surge protector doesn't do a thing to help low voltage.

You would be surprised how many times a week my UPS kicks in cause the voltage from the power company falls out of spec... kind of scary actually.

Course in 10 years now of running 24/7 I haven't lost a machine. I'm just sayin...

How many times have you needed to recondition the battery? Where do you take the battery to replace or recondition them? You are right as browouts can be just as dangerous as surges as it is especially hard on PSU's.

Yah well I have never replaced the batteries. I haven't tested them lately and am sure they are very limited now but I think they would cost me around $300 to replace them all. Since I am basically trying to filter the voltage more than use them as uninteruptable that is ok with me for the moment. One UPS for instance would only hold the systems up for 5 minutes or so. The other used to hold them for 55 minutes, even running several systems off of it. In any case when I get richer I will buy some new batteries. In the meantime they are basically a filter.

Yah well I have never replaced the batteries. I haven't tested them lately and am sure they are very limited now but I think they would cost me around $300 to replace them all. Since I am basically trying to filter the voltage more than use them as uninteruptable that is ok with me for the moment. One UPS for instance would only hold the systems up for 5 minutes or so. The other used to hold them for 55 minutes, even running several systems off of it. In any case when I get richer I will buy some new batteries. In the meantime they are basically a filter.

How well would they be able to filter once the entire battery is dead? Since they have to go through the Lead acid battery, I suspect that it would not unable to do anything if it is dead. It is kind of like how a single bad cell in the battery wouldn't even let my old Focus get a jump.

I hope Kendrak can chime in since I know that he found a cheap place somewhere to get the batteries rebuilt. It is the replacement cost that is more or less keeping me away for UPS' as the initial cost isn't all that bad these days.

Don't know about recon the batts, wasn't me.

I just grabbed the units off Amazon. If they keep my rig up and happy, they help my ppd as much as anything else.

Well they seem to filter just fine so far. I think as long as they don't short they should be able to hold a minimal charge. Besides on the filter side it may not take to much juice from the batteries unless it is a full brown. Meanwhile the batteries seem to keep up no problem.

Haven't heard of rebuilding batteries although I know it is possible. Never thought about that end of the spectrum. Hopefully Kendrak will pop up like you said.

The batteries in my UPS are 8 - 6v ones. I forget how much they cost but it wasn't cheap although I did search around the internet a bit for new ones.

Well they seem to filter just fine so far. I think as long as they don't short they should be able to hold a minimal charge. Besides on the filter side it may not take to much juice from the batteries unless it is a full brown. Meanwhile the batteries seem to keep up no problem.

Haven't heard of rebuilding batteries although I know it is possible. Never thought about that end of the spectrum. Hopefully Kendrak will pop up like you said.

The batteries in my UPS are 8 - 6v ones. I forget how much they cost but it wasn't cheap although I did search around the internet a bit for new ones.

Well our buddy Isaac said it wasn't him so it must have been someone else who found a cheap place to recondition their UPS batteries. I don't mind forking over money for the UPS, but I hate recurring charges as those battery packs probably arn't easy to dispose of or cheap to replace. Whoever this person is, I hope they pop in soon and grace us with their experience and knowledge.

Yah I bought some big ole Compaq UPS's off ebay some time back and when I opened them up they take the same batteries as my two NCR's. So I have a whole pile of batteries laying in the computer room. hehe.

I am out of town at the moment and can't find a battery model no. So can't look up what they cost. I do know I could find them on the net much cheaper than buying from the manufacturer. BUT at 8 batteries per UPS and I have two UPS's... they aint cheap to replace.

I rigged a total ghetto cooling solution with my PS3 + three folding rigs. Instead of having them sit nice and neat in a row along the wall, I removed the side panels from the PC's and arranged them in a sort of diagonal cluster with open sides facing a new fan I bought at an angle..

(hot air exhaust)
"/ / / /" <---rigs
^ ^ ^
*fan*

I'm bought one of these babies:http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-3520-20..._3?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1313428265&sr=1-3 and positioned it on the ground in front of everything and let it rip. Despite the fact that the room these PCs are in is around 81f, the fan pushes so much air across the mobos that my temps dropped around 6-7C on each machine (both GPU and CPU temps) to well within operating range. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those batteries are typically sealed lead acid absorbed glass mat. Once they die there aren't many options besides recycle them. If you have a 6 volt capable charger you can try to gently cycle some life back in to them but be sure to do this some place safe in case they explode.

Back