had comp overclocked to 3.45 stable, dropped to 3.0ghz, now can't oc

Benzie500E

n00b
Hey guys, this is my first time on this board, i've heard you guys are awesome when it comes to overclocking so I thought i'd ask for some help here.

First my specs:

Pentium 4 3.0Cghz overclocked to 3.45ghz at 1.50v
Abit IC7-MAX3 Motherboard
1GB of Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card
160gb Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW
Aspire X-Superalien Case with 500Watt PSU
OTES Cooling System With:
Swiftech MCX4000 Heatsink
Panasonic Panaflo 92mm w/ 56.8 CFM at 35 db-A

After slowly incrementing my clock speed, I had my CPU at the mentioned above clock speed, 3.45ghz at 1.5v and my ram was at 2.8v.

So I decided I wanted to drop her back down to 3.00ghz and run a benchmark. So thats what I did, I set everything to default in the bios and it booted up fine, i ran my benchmark, then went to set everything back and it will NOT boot in to windows.

I found it confusing at first, then i realised the problem. If I overclocked the CPU to anything over 3.025 my HD will not register. I get to the post screen, my optical drive shows up, but my HD is no where to be found. I go in to BIOS and it can't detect my HD. I then drop it back to 3.00ghz and it finds the HD again. Back and forth, its there, its not there...

I have no clue what's going on. I tried clearing cmos and still can't find the HD when its over 3.025ghz. I'm getting nervous, anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

George

First thing I would do after reseting bios is go through Each and every bios menu there is and double check once more. Also get a pen and pad and make notes reflecting changes you make for future reference and tweaking. It`s easy to miss something if you get frustrated.

Sounds obvious I know

Pay close attetion to the temps and voltages, Sometimes I Spend a minute or so and monitor them

Good luck

are you using the secure ide thing for your hd? if so you must slowly push it up. my friend had same problem with overclocking. im really surprised you could boot at 3, he can only move it about 5 mhz fsb from where he had it last or it wont boot.

problem solved

when i reset everything to default, it was changing the agp/pci settings and increasing them as i increased the clock speed

i thought it was fixed by default

*sigh*

3 hours to figure that out

thanks for helping guys

Back