Hackint0sh (or Mac OS) file sharing with Windows/Linux

jordo_99

Weaksauce
First off, don't flame me. I'm definitely a linux/windows guy at heart but I'm debating on turning my vista/linux PC into a hackint0sh and I'm wondering if anybody else out there has much experience with mac/windows/linux file sharing. (I don't like the idea of using OSX, personally, but I have good reasons for it...mostly music creation/editing)

I currently have two computers: XP (gaming) and Vista (HTPC). I have them both set up with 2.5TB of hard drive, of which at least 2TB is being used for media such as movies/music/etc. I have it set up so that the movies and music are currently synced over the network, almost as a mirror image. This way I can have quick access to my 6GB+ HD Movies and also have a backup of all my data if one copy of the data was compromised.

I'm hoping to do something similar by reinstalling the OS from Vista/linux (dual-boot) to Mac OSX. I only need to have the Mac be capable of playing the media from the NTFS hard drives and be able to add more media to the internal hard drives when needed. I know Mac doesn't natively support writing to NTFS but would the Windows machine be able to do it over the network? Also, has anybody with a hackint0sh been able to dual-boot with windows or linux? That way I could just boot into the other OS when I need to modify the contents of the NTFS drives.

Thank to anyone who even bothers to read this epicly long post. Any comments/suggestions are welcome as long as they are intelligent.

It's not a long post, but the fact that you're stating you plan to make a Hackintosh (sorry, I can't bring myself to use the 0 there) will cause this thread to die really fast. It's just not something that's discussed around here, the more appropriate place would be:

http://insanelymac.com

if necessary. I know that you're asking a networking related question, but this thread just won't last. :(

Disclaimer: I'm the guy that released the world's first generic installation DVD for OSx86 back in late 2005 (and a few emails from Apple Legal as proof), so I have a long long history with that website, the OSx86 community, and have built many many Hacks in the past 4 years, I assure you. :)

Back