Hackers Sell IDs For $14?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I may not be an expert in hacking but I think that selling IDs for $14 might be a little low. Sheesh, you went through all the trouble of stealing someone’s identity, you should at least go for $15 don’t you think?

The data is sold on so-called “underground economy servers,” used by criminal organizations to hawk information they’ve captured through hacking, Symantec said in its Internet Security Threat Report, which tracked online trends from June to December 2006. The information can then be used for identity scams such as opening a bank account in a false name.

It's cheap because a lot of them are locked down before you can use them (person noticed his wallet/id has been compromised so they do an account lockdown).

You can pickup my info in the Hot Deals section for $6.99 this week! ;) Seriously what a waste of time for $14 bucks. If you are going to commit crime make it PAY!

heh I had read another article on this where some symantec guys made their way into an illicit auction where they offered bulk accounts, SS#s, etc. Some of the stuff was selling for tens- of thousands of dollars.

"Sheesh, you went through all the trouble of stealing someone’s identity, you should at least go for $15 don’t you think?"

What trouble? The automated worm prorogation that parses all the usual places for user data, then e mails them back home where a script pulls out the goodies from the garbage?

Back