Hackers Hold Disney’s Latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" for Ransom

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Disney may be on the verge of suffering a significant box office loss this summer: hackers have gotten their hands on a copy of the upcoming Pirates movie and threatened to release it in small increments until they are paid their ransom. The mouse house has stood firm and announced they have no intention of paying up, assuming that the feds will be able to catch the crooks in time. Disney had spent over 300 million to make the latest film.

Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment from the studio. The hackers have demanded an enormous amount of money be paid to Bitcoin. Disney is currently working with the FBI and will not pay. The hackers said they would release bits of the film — in increments — if their demands weren’t met. Deadline learned that it was, indeed, Jerry Bruckheimer’s fifth in the Pirates franchise, which is scheduled for release May 26.

Who is really waiting to download bits of the film in increments? Disney isn't that stupid and in no way would that hurt them at all. This should have been the Stupid Criminal of the Day post.

The western movie industry still haven't learned the lesson. Just straight to streaming. If people want to experience it in a cinema they will go there anyway.

I still don't understand why these movies exist. Even the old Disneyland ride sucks.

I can easily tell you why they exist.

Gross Worldwide -
The Curse of the Black Pearl $654,264,015
Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725
At World's End $963,420,425
On Stranger Tides $1,045,713,802

Total Gross - $3,729,577,967

Against a budget of - $1.364 billion

While I haven't seen anything since Dead Mans Chest, I'm surprised it's been 6 years since the last movie.

For the people with the inevitable
3c76e21b39e09b8992e9b92f7f387501e99cd90b8ea709357c819942808377d4.jpg

My suggestion is don't fret about it, stuff exist we don't like that other people eat up. Example the Fast and the Furious franchise for me. One was great...but 8 movies? Not my thing, but I can see why people like it.

I can easily tell you why they exist.

Gross Worldwide -
The Curse of the Black Pearl $654,264,015
Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725
At World's End $963,420,425
On Stranger Tides $1,045,713,802

Total Gross - $3,729,577,967

Against a budget of - $1.364 billion

While I haven't seen anything since Dead Mans Chest, I'm surprised it's been 6 years since the last movie.

Oh we all know why Disney is making them, I think the question that needs asking is 'why do people watch this shit?'

Black Pearl was a truly fantastic movie though, I'll give them that.

You release 10% and hold the rest hostage. This looks like a staged stunt for maximum free publicity.

Who is really waiting to download bits of the film in increments? Disney isn't that stupid and in no way would that hurt them at all. This should have been the Stupid Criminal of the Day post.

Once all the pieces are out it can be stitched together and it will be on every torrent site. Its also a way for them to show/prove they actually have the movie to them without losing all of their bargaining power.

That said, I never liked these movies, and most people I know who did have become disinterested in it. I don't know what happened, as I never liked them to start with, but something did. Will still probably make a killing anyway.

Oh we all know why Disney is making them, I think the question we're all asking is why the fuck are people watching this shit?

I think it's actually in a way like a good role playing game or book for the mass media. They get to see a continuation of a story in a universe that's created for them, with characters that are developed. It's difficult to jump and invest into another series, even if the series has become stagnant and mediocre. Look at Star Wars for example...it's pretty much common to see people rail against episodes 1 and parts of 2, but people by then have become so invested into the world that was created that they spend their money on it.

Pirates isn't the worst...the costumes are great, the characters are memorable, the production is high quality in aesthetics...but I'll agree with what you guys are hinting at...it's not the best either. But it is something that people have taken in as a franchise and as long as Johnny is doing all the great charity work dressed in his full Jack Sparrow Regalia for all those hurt kids in the world, I'm fine with it personally.

The western movie industry still haven't learned the lesson. Just straight to streaming. If people want to experience it in a cinema they will go there anyway.

My god I can't wait for better streaming options....but in my raggedly old age of 36 I've also learned that waiting and not having to see things asap is perfectly fine.

I spend my time playing video games and working on the yard and 6 months later..."Oh look it's Logan, lets check that out for $5 with the wife, and order some Mongolian Beef, Crab Rangoons, and Sesame chicken for less than the cost of 2 tickets, a giant ass $8 coke, etc".

Oh we all know why Disney is making them, I think the question that needs asking is 'why do people watch this shit?'

Black Pearl was a truly fantastic movie though, I'll give them that.

Dead Mans Chest was great as well, I dare say better than the first in my opinion. At Worlds End was good, kind of started falling off at the end but overall an enjoyable movie. On Stranger Tides, can't explain that one. I'll tell you this, I rather see another pirates movie than a damn Marvel film.

Been watching too much godfather, thinks of this like sending a cut off finger to them lol

Back in 2009 I remember watching the Wolverine before all the effects were put in, some pirated copy that my korean friend got off his pirate websites. Yeah I'll admit fox lost $40 from two dudes who witness that shit fest, but that movie did make nearly 400m. I'm thinking Disney can easily play the odds and not have to worry about losing that much money from people who weren't going to pay to see the movie anyways. Though it will be funny to see Disney make 900million on this and blame HACKERS for the movie not making as much money as it could.

Amazing that people still watch that stuff given how terrible the last few were. At least the first Pirates was somewhat exciting and original, second was pretty bad and third was a massive WTF.

Hackers be stoopid here. Leaked ahead of time or not, I doubt this is going to affect the a-typical family that goes and out and sees this movie.

My god I can't wait for better streaming options....but in my raggedly old age of 36 I've also learned that waiting and not having to see things asap is perfectly fine.

I spend my time playing video games and working on the yard and 6 months later..."Oh look it's Logan, lets check that out for $5 with the wife, and order some Mongolian Beef, Crab Rangoons, and Sesame chicken for less than the cost of 2 tickets, a giant ass $8 coke, etc".

Feeling the exact same way... except about being raggedly old at my YOUNG age of 36. Now, onto bigger problems in life like: how to keep those kids off my lawn?

They deserve it if they can't manage to keep their network secure. For a motion picture studio why on earth wouldn't all the equipment be basically in a closed loop system with no outside network access. If I'm say a video editor or whatever working on the film why would I need to surf youtube and other internet garbage on that same secure system? I work in a financial processing business and everything is split in Employee Network and Production network, with very little access in between and most certainly the production systems have absolutely ZERO internet access.

Now if someone physically made like a thumb drive copy and leaked that way then that's a bit harder. But even now a days you can make lock down PCs pretty hard, and certainly should be able to track who has access to the completed film, and track file transfers.

They deserve it if they can't manage to keep their network secure. For a motion picture studio why on earth wouldn't all the equipment be basically in a closed loop system with no outside network access. If I'm say a video editor or whatever working on the film why would I need to surf youtube and other internet garbage on that same secure system? I work in a financial processing business and everything is split in Employee Network and Production network, with very little access in between and most certainly the production systems have absolutely ZERO internet access.

Now if someone physically made like a thumb drive copy and leaked that way then that's a bit harder. But even now a days you can make lock down PCs pretty hard, and certainly should be able to track who has access to the completed film, and track file transfers.

Now a days with so many different studios working on a single film, it's just easier to store the work product on a server and give other studios access. This is why the Wolverine leak was unfinished, someone managed to steal it while it was still being edited. Although from what I understand the final render is supposed to be under encryption while encrypted drive copies are made and sent to theaters. Someone definitely fucked up somewhere or it was an inside job.

Gee Disney, I guess outsourcing your IT department with H1-Bs wasn't the best move was it...:rolleyes:

"what are you in for?"

"I stole a disney movie and demanded ransom money"

Wonder what happens next

Bull shit, Disney is not going to "lose" any money if this is released to the torrent sites. Only a small percentage of people actually take advantage of that, a majority of non-technical people that want to go see it, will still go see it theaters.

I enjoy all the Pirates movies. Mostly for the music and visuals, story line is a bit of a mess at times.

I built a good home theater system - I will see the new Pirates film in the actual theater. I relate Pirates to the Fast Furious series. Copy paste of the same, slight variation in story, entertainment beyond just story line and acting.

Amazing that people still watch that stuff given how terrible the last few were. At least the first Pirates was somewhat exciting and original, second was pretty bad and third was a massive WTF.
All of the PotC movies were great. I'm not sure what is wrong with your sense of taste. Now, Doctor Who and The Godfather are unwatchable pieces of crap. Why those exist is beyond me.

I really liked the actor Javier Bardem's role in No Country for Old Men. I might watch this PoC movie to see him. However, I'll probably catch it at home when its released.
I think I've only seen the first PoC. Seems like I started watching one of the other ones but got bored.
I disagree with how the pirates are stealing these and trying to extort money from the companies. That is flat out wrong. I also doubt it would have a big impact on movie sales. In my mind, the people that want to see this will still go see it. The pirates were going to watch a handcam anyway. That's my .02.

All of the PotC movies were great. I'm not sure what is wrong with your sense of taste. Now, Doctor Who and The Godfather are unwatchable pieces of crap. Why those exist is beyond me.

Wow, comparing PotC to Godfather? Talk about taste in movies. Go back to Twitter and Instagram. No wonder there are so few actually good movies these days. You're probably thought Avatar had a great narrative as well? Well, to each their own. You like everyone else are entitled to your own opinion.

Back