Hackers Can Disable A Sniper Rifle

HardOCP News

[H] News
What a great idea! Let's pit hackers against snipers and see who wins. Hell, we could make a game show out of that. :D

Put a computer on a sniper rifle, and it can turn the most amateur shooter into a world-class marksman. But add a wireless connection to that computer-aided weapon, and you may find that your smart gun suddenly seems to have a mind of its own—and a very different idea of the target.

Another case of hacking something relaying on the clueless user.

#1 hope and pray that the user you want to hack turns ON Wi-Fi.
#2 hope and pray that you are with in the very limited Wi-Fi range when that happens and are ready to go.
#3 hope and pray that the user did not change the default password.
#4 hope and pray that the next shot after this happens is the one that needs to be hacked. (ie if the shooter sees the scope malfunctioning they will not use it)
#4 IF all the above happens you can fuck with that guys scope.

Not the most reliable way to hack something. Still possible to be sure but seriously.

Seriously, wife connection? What for? Updates? Does it read local weather patterns to adjust to humidity, air pressure, etc? (I would think this could be done at the rifle and guestimated that it's uniform to the target.

Oh well, just goes to show, if you want security don't have wifi.

How is it a hack? They know the password and are changing values that are made to be changed. Did i miss something?

P.S. the wifi is to stream video of what the scope sees. The whole thing is a cool gimmick so the more ways to show off the better.

any sniper that can't shoot without the use of his smartscope isn't a sniper.

This is what BUIS are for. If you don't know what those are or how to use them you shouldn't be using a rifle, period.

any sniper that can't shoot without the use of his smartscope isn't a sniper.

Exactly!

Just because a computer can make a good shot when you pull a trigger means nothing more then you are smart enough to line things up and pull a trigger.

Another case of hacking something relaying on the clueless user.

#1 hope and pray that the user you want to hack turns ON Wi-Fi.
#2 hope and pray that you are with in the very limited Wi-Fi range when that happens and are ready to go.
#3 hope and pray that the user did not change the default password.
#4 hope and pray that the next shot after this happens is the one that needs to be hacked. (ie if the shooter sees the scope malfunctioning they will not use it)
#4 IF all the above happens you can fuck with that guys scope.

Not the most reliable way to hack something. Still possible to be sure but seriously.

Seems to me the only way it would be of any effectiveness in real life, would be for basic area denial of those using this type of computerized scopes, or at least for those dumb enough to leave the wifi on and open.

This is really silly. The comparison they're trying to make, that is against the hacked Jeep Cherokee, isn't even remotely similar in the least.

LOL have anyone actually played with these setups? Man....what huge pieces of shit, its no wonder the company is filing for chapter 11 I think.

Seems to me the only way it would be of any effectiveness in real life, would be for basic area denial of those using this type of computerized scopes, or at least for those dumb enough to leave the wifi on and open.

That is what I was getting at,
This could work in the most ridiculous situation. But when it comes down to it is very very impracticable.
War driving snipers is a bit different then everyday morons with a wireless router. So much so the term is meaningless as you HAVE to know where one IS + know/hope they also are giving them self away with wifi and have a wide open default password.
Seriously WTF.

Back